1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fusion-io ioDrive 2 1.2TB Reference Page

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by Patrick, Sep 14, 2016.

1. lowfat

lowfat Member

That is very disappointing. I was hoping to do a tiered setup w/ an 320GB SLC ioDrive Duo and a RAIDZ2 iSCSI share (over 10GbE). But if it isn't going to perform I won't bother even trying.

2. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Yeah, not sure if I did anything wrong, but I did it twice to confirm...

Here are my results:

4 disks by themselves:
    [​IMG]

4-disk with a 2-column stripe for ~double speeds
    [​IMG]

Built an ssd tier and even had write caching enabled with the ssds and the perf was worse than a 4-disk mirror with striping...
    [​IMG]

This is how I built it... anything wrong you can see in there?
    Code:
    $pd = (Get-PhysicalDisk -CanPool $True | Where MediaType -NE UnSpecified)
    New-StoragePool -PhysicalDisks $pd –StorageSubSystemFriendlyName “Windows Storage*” -FriendlyName “StoragePool”

$ssdTier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "StoragePool" -FriendlyName SSDTier -MediaType SSD
    $hddTier = New-StorageTier -StoragePoolFriendlyName "StoragePool" -FriendlyName HDDTier -MediaType HDD

New-VirtualDisk -StoragePoolFriendlyName "StoragePool" -FriendlyName TieredSpace -StorageTiers $ssdtier, $hddtier -StorageTierSizes 1090GB, 7260GB -ResiliencySettingName Mirror -WriteCacheSize 1GB

Get-VirtualDisk TieredSpace | Get-Disk | Initialize-Disk -PartitionStyle GPT
    Get-VirtualDisk TieredSpace | Get-Disk | New-Partition -DriveLetter “E” -UseMaximumSize
    Initialize-Volume -DriveLetter “E” -FileSystem REFS -Confirm:$false
    Thoughts?

3. i386

i386 Active Member

Did you change the media type for the iodrives manually or were they automatically detected as ssds?

4. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Auto-detected as SSDs.

5. TLN

TLN Member

I'm trying to see what options I can tune with Fusion IO and what I can get.
    According to this: https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c04111683.pdf
    It says I need 530Mb per 100Gb of storage. Which means I need 6.3Gb memory for 1.2Tb drive. I have that, but it does looks like "too much". In case I want to use 512block size I need what.... 47Gb of RAM. WTF? And I guess if I want to pass-through this card to VM (just to try) I need to provide VM with all that memory.

Dell document here: Fusion ioMemory Support Downloads :: SanDisk
    says that I need to use 0.5% of available memory. So for 1205Gb x 0.005 = 6Gigs, which is closer real-life values. It also says that ESXi VMFS requires 512b sector.

So, for use as VM-storage, do I need to worry about sector size and/or memory reservations?

6. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

Well, I doubt you're using it as HP intended as an IO accelerator... also, I was under the impression that when they say "storage" they mean the actual total storage, and not the IO accelerator capacity but I could be reading it wrong too.

Either way I've yet to see anyone post here about having to allocate #MB of RAM because of their Fusion IO setup, and many many here seem to get these / deals over the last 2-3 years.

I believe @Marsh uses these often, and may have some other input. I've only used the original Fusion-IOs, but have a couple IODRIVE2s in the mail here so I can let you know in a week or so if I had to do anything, but I doubt it.

7. TLN

TLN Member

I don't know why HP listed this table, because vmware recommends 512 size block for VMFS and with 1205 "capacity" it is ~49gig ram. If we use "storage" as actual data stored on device, say 500gig (wasting 700gig on pricey device) it will be 20Gig.

0.5% makes more sense to me. It results in ~6gig for 1.2Tb device, and it we use only amount of data that we have, for 500gig it will be less then 3 gig, which is absolutely doable.

I see @aquacow was working there, may be he can help with that question.
    For now, I'm mostly curious, how do you guys format it (I guess 512), do you use full capacity(yes, why not?).

8. i386

i386 Active Member

I have about 650gb on my iodrive2 and firefox is still the process consuming most ram :D

-

I got two of them this week and these drives are awesome!

9. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Memory usage in the VSL depends 100% on what blocksize you are WRITING. The memory consumption is just to hold pointers in memory to quickly lookup where data is on the card.

If you are writing at 512B, you will consume a LOT more memory than if you are writing at 4k.

A lot of DB apps/etc require 512B block sizes on the backing store, but they tend to write at 32-64K or larger, which uses very little memory footprint in the VSL.

T_Minus likes this.
  10. Maritime

Maritime New Member

On W Server 2012 R2, ioDrive2 1.2TB takes about 33-35 GB with 512B block size. I'm using it as standard drive, without VMs or so. Drivers are SanDisk latest - 3.2.14.1675. If drive is heavily written to, RAM allocation increases 1-2 GBs.
    However, I have turned off Windows virtual memory in control panel so this might lead to higher RAM allocation.

11. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Well, if you are just using it as NTFS formatted, it's likely your NTFS blocksize is 4k, so that is the size of your smallest writes, which will save you a lot of memory.

T_Minus likes this.
  12. Maritime

Maritime New Member

These cards are formatted by their own formatting command (fio-formate) and by default block size is 512B. I don't have memory issues since cards are working on server with 384GB RAM but yes, it might be wise to reformat it to 4k block size.

13. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

Low level formatting the cards to 4k will definitely decrease your worst-case memory consumption if that is a concern, but if you aren't writing at 512B to begin with, it won't really do much. All of the higher capacity 3.2TB and 6.TB ioDrives default format to 4K block sizes.

T_Minus likes this.
  14. NetWise

NetWise Active Member

I don't know if the Nytro Warp 1.2TB I am using for that exact purpose is on feature parity with these drives here or not - but it sure is doing the trick as a cache disk :)

15. i386

i386 Active Member

Maybe a stupid question: does the drive support other block sizes than 512b or 4k? And do bigger block sizes mean the driver needs less ram?

16. acquacow

acquacow Active Member

I've only ever used 512B and 4K, but I believe you can set it larger, but your write amplification will likely go up if you are doing smaller writes than your block size.

I'm not sure how performance will be either, you'd have to benchmark it at each block size to see what is best for your application.

17. warlockedyou

warlockedyou Member

Has anyone here installed the drivers for Linux? I am trying to setup my 1.2TB Fusio IO as an iSCSI target on CentOS7 box. They have supported drivers for it, but I can't fix the error about incompatible driver with the firmware of the drive.

Error in question:"The firmware on this device is not compatible with the currently installed version of the driver"

Reference Code:
    Code:
    [root@localhost]# fio-status -a

Found 2 ioMemory devices in this system with 1 ioDrive Duo
    Driver version: 3.2.14 build 1675

Adapter: Dual Adapter
            1.28TB High IOPS MLC Duo Adapter for IBM System x, Product Number:xxx, SN:xxx
            ioDrive Duo HL, PN:xxx
            External Power: NOT connected
            PCIe Bus voltage: min 11.99V max 12.05V
            PCIe Bus current: max 0.93A
            PCIe Bus power: max 11.16W
            PCIe Power limit threshold: 24.75W
            PCIe slot available power: 25.00W
            PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 5.0 Gt/sec each, 2000.00 MBytes/sec total
            Connected ioMemory modules:
              fct0: Product Number:xxx, SN:xxx
              fct1: Product Number:xxx, SN:xxx

fct0    Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
                    The firmware on this device is not compatible with the currently installed version of the driver
            IBM ioDIMM 640GB, SN:xxx
    !! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device!  Read below for details.
            IBM ioDIMM 640GB, PN:xxx
            Located in slot 0 Upper of ioDrive Duo HL SN:xxx
            Powerloss protection: not available
            PCI:07:00.0, Slot Number:2
            Vendor:1aed, Device:1005, Sub vendor:1014, Sub device:3c3
            Firmware v5.0.7, rev 107053 Public
            Geometry and capacity information not available.
            Format: not low-level formatted
            PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 2.5 Gt/sec each, 1000.00 MBytes/sec total
            Internal temperature: 40.36 degC, max 40.85 degC
            Internal voltage: avg 1.03V, max 2.38V
            Aux voltage: avg 2.44V, max 2.38V
            Rated PBW: 10.00 PB
            Lifetime data volumes:
               Physical bytes written: 0
               Physical bytes read   : 0
            RAM usage:
               Current: 0 bytes
               Peak   : 0 bytes

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
                The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.

fct1    Status unknown: Driver is in MINIMAL MODE:
                    The firmware on this device is not compatible with the currently installed version of the driver
            IBM ioDIMM 640GB, SN:xxxxxx
    !! ---> There are active errors or warnings on this device!  Read below for details.
            IBM ioDIMM 640GB, PN:xxxxxx
            Located in slot 1 Lower of ioDrive Duo HL SN:xxxxxx
            Powerloss protection: not available
            PCI:08:00.0, Slot Number:2
            Vendor:1aed, Device:1005, Sub vendor:1014, Sub device:3c3
            Firmware v5.0.7, rev 107053 Public
            Geometry and capacity information not available.
            Format: not low-level formatted
            PCIe negotiated link: 4 lanes at 2.5 Gt/sec each, 1000.00 MBytes/sec total
            Internal temperature: 40.36 degC, max 40.36 degC
            Internal voltage: avg 1.00V, max 2.38V
            Aux voltage: avg 2.44V, max 2.38V
            Rated PBW: 10.00 PB
            Lifetime data volumes:
               Physical bytes written: 0
               Physical bytes read   : 0
            RAM usage:
               Current: 0 bytes
               Peak   : 0 bytes

ACTIVE WARNINGS:
                The ioMemory is currently running in a minimal state.
    [root@localhost]#

I was hoping someone here would have some advise for me on how I should proceed with this. Also, do I need to get "External Power"? Why? Why not?

18. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

How many firmwares have you tried?

Have you updated the drivers to latest?

19. warlockedyou

warlockedyou Member

I have only tried 3.2.11(the latest available):
    SanDisk Dell Support
    [​IMG]

File:
    Code:
    dell_iodrive_3.2.11-20150618.fff
    I dont know how to acquire new drivers for CentOS to match something that is compatible with the disk firmware. It is my understanding that firmware number(v5.0) does not have to match the driver version.

Am I understanding this correct? How should I proceed on updating the drivers?

This is my first time purchasing a drive that needs "special" drivers and thus the struggle. =/

EDIT: 3.2.11 firmware version

EDIT2:
    Seeing that the drive has "Firmware v5.0.7", I wasn't able to change the firmware on the drive to anything else.
    Code:
    [root@localhost]# fio-update-iodrive /root/dell/dell_iodrive_3.2.11-20150618.fff
    WARNING: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER OR RUN ANY IODRIVE UTILITIES WHILE THE FIRMWARE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS
      Please wait...this could take a while

/ Updating - fct0: 100% | fct1: 100%
    Error: Firmware file does not contain firmware for device 'fct0', part 'xxxxxxxxxxx'.
    Error: Firmware file does not contain firmware for device 'fct1', part 'xxxxxxxxxxx'.
    [root@localhost]#

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  20. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I'm only familiar because I just did this a week or so ago :) too, and there's a thread on it here.

I'll look for it and link it here if you can't find it before I post :)