Firmware package for Samsung SM883/MZ7KH3T8HALS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
It's not limited to Seagate, it works on all drives if they're not specially locked or you try flashing the wrong firmware. Hdparm, sg_write_buffer and camcontrol work in the same manner, with similar commands.
If you're unsure about anything try crossreading the other manpages of the mentioned tools, sometimes the same procedure in other words explained helps a lot. ;)

Reactions: noriest

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
Sorry but if you don't understand basics, why do you want to upgrade firmware in first place ? 883 isn't prone to fail on any FW versions if i am correct.

noriest

Jun 17, 2023
Sorry but if you don't understand basics, why do you want to upgrade firmware in first place ? 883 isn't prone to fail on any FW versions if i am correct.
As i mentioned in my early post
My enterprise ssd is not reading right
Is only read 1gb capacity
I assume it's firmware faulty
Yes i don't understand the basic commands

noriest

Jun 17, 2023
I've looked everywhere in internet there's other people,same like me
Their ssd only showing 1gb on pm883 Samsung ssd
Then i found this grup ,
I hope someone can help me

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
Patience is virtue. Lately i have none. One more try though.
Download Magician DC from link i've attached to previous post. Run cmd as administrator, run magician with -L switch. Post screenshot here.

Reactions: noriest

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Reactions: noriest and klui

julius6

Jun 27, 2023
Hi,

I have an hard disk of the same model no you discuss on this thread, Samsung MZQLB3T8HALS-00007, but my issue is somewhat different.
I have developed an utility to read the HDD serial number. For this particular model, I get weird results, something like:

3433_3830_5231_0316_0025_3843_0000_0001.

which is 40 chars. I would expect 20 as per ATA identify specs.

I can confirm the serial is "right" because I crosscheck using several methods, including querying for Win32_DiskDrive SerialNumber with WMI

Among data returned by identify I get EDA5502Q which I assume to be the firmware revision.

Mine is more of a theoretic question, If some of you know about ATA indentify specs and how manufacturers are adhering to them :)

Is that serial number made of ASCII number groups separated by underscore legal?
Or is it an indication that the firmware is not really capable of handling the request, so it returns dummy, non-unique data?
Can it also be the case the HDD is fake?

Thanks in advance

...and sorry to crosspost, but I see a lot of knowledge in this thread related to that HDD model

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Hi,

I have an hard disk of the same model no you discuss on this thread, Samsung MZQLB3T8HALS-00007, but my issue is somewhat different.
Hi,
you have an pm983 NVMe SSD, which is different, and i don't know how these react to ATA Commands. There you have to take another approach i think -> NVMe Commands/Standards.
But i am not an Expert at all...

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
Samsung MZQLB3T8HALS-00007
It's hard to find anything related to this.
Don't know if this helps with googling or it's correct at all:
I found other part numbers with relation to SUN
HDS-SUN1-MZQLB3T8HALS07

But the firmware code seems to be correct:
MZQLB1T9HAJR-00007 EDA5502Q

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
In the "repository" is a slightly newer firmware EDA5602Q for this drive, but the latest seem to be EDA5702Q. Datasheet
About usable tools, i only know of nvme-cli.

julius6

Jun 27, 2023
Hi,
you have an pm983 NVMe SSD, which is different, and i don't know how these react to ATA Commands. There you have to take another approach i think -> NVMe Commands/Standards.
But i am not an Expert at all...
Hi DarkServant,

thanks for your advice about the NVMe way of doing this. I'll start from here

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
Despite my dislike of Samsung datacenter SSDs because of their "zero firmware, zero warranty" policy, this thread got me to temporarily re-adjust my attitude. So last week I bought three SM883 3.84 TB from ebay for an okeyish price. Also to diversify my block devices in the cluster a bit from the usual Micron 5x00 SSDs I run. Firmware and hardware look mature. Flash cells are durable 2-bit MLC with 10k writes and not 3k or even 1k. TBW is 21 PB. Tantalum caps for PLP instead of electrolytics. 2 million hours MTBF. Did I overlook something or are later models crappier?

Got them today, all three around ~50-60 TB written i.e. barely 0.3% used up. Might as well last 10-20 years. Flashed them to HXM7904Q using the Samsung DC Toolkit on Windows and did a full shred on Linux to see if they hold up.

Last edited:
Reactions: pimposh

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
....Flash cells are durable 2-bit MLC with 10k writes and not 3k or even 1k. TBW is 21 PB. Tantalum caps for PLP instead of electrolytics. 2 million hours MTBF. Did I overlook something or are later models crappier?
You're right IMHO, the newer pm897 relies on two electrolytic capacitors, and the endurance comes from 6(!)Terabytes of raw TLC 3D-NAND capacity -> over 70% overprovisioning. The write IOPS are higher, and it is way cheaper. Latest F/W is probably JXTE204Q.
You can add some thermal pads on the controller and backside for making contact to the case, to help longevity. I think the 24-layer was the best in terms of endurance or on par with the 32-layer, after this it dropped more and more.
Why has the brand new pm1743 still 128-layer NAND and not the new 176-layer?...

I hope the sm883's will serve you well.

sm883 PCBA / pm897 PCBA

Reactions: Stephan and pimposh