Firmware package for Samsung SM883/MZ7KH3T8HALS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
Finally i got the sm883 (HXM7904Q) and pm883 (HXT7904Q) firmwares....
Updatetool and FW-Files

usage: ssdmanager.exe -d <disknumber> -AF -p <path to bin file>

PS: thanks for nothing Samsung!
By any chance, does your source offer firmware for the PM1733a too? looking for MPPA3B5Q or MPPA5B5Q; those seem to be the latest from my research

dj-shd

Apr 6, 2023
Uploaded for Drive Samsung PM863 (SED) latest known GXT5404Q and for Drive Samsung PM863 (N-SED) latest known GXT5103Q firmware.
Go to the „uploadyourfwstuff“ folder and grab the „Netapp_Drive_Firmware_2.164.zip“.
do you by chance have the firmware for pm1733a (pm1733 SED)

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
Uploaded for Drive Samsung PM863 (SED) latest known GXT5404Q and for Drive Samsung PM863 (N-SED) latest known GXT5103Q firmware.
Go to the „uploadyourfwstuff“ folder and grab the „Netapp_Drive_Firmware_2.164.zip“.
Thank you, kind person! :)

cyberjock

Jul 15, 2017
So I appear to have a new firmware. I have four PM883's with firmware HXT7B04Q. I bought them from ebay, and they came that way. If someone can tell me how best to rip the firmware from the drive, I'd be happy to download it for the community!

They report as Samsung and not some OEM, nor does any labeling have an OEM logo or otherwise.

@DarkServant

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
It wasn’t me who put the PM863 firmware into the PM863a folder, as this doesn’t work.
PM863a has different NAND (64 layer vs 48 layer for PM863) and slightly different controller. So different firmware here.

Last edited:

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
root@pet440:/home/pimposh# hdparm -I /dev/sdj

/dev/sdj:

ATA device, with non-removable media
Model Number: SAMSUNG MZ7LM1T9HCJM-00003
Serial Number: S2E0DE1A129812
Firmware Revision: GXT1003Q
== CUT

root@pet440:/home/pimposh# hdparm --fwdownload GXT1003Q.bin --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive /dev/sdj

/dev/sdj:
fwdownload: xfer_mode=3 min=1 max=2048 size=512
................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ Done.

root@pet440:/home/pimposh# hdparm --fwdownload GXT5103Q.bin --yes-i-know-what-i-am-doing --please-destroy-my-drive /dev/sdj

/dev/sdj:
fwdownload: xfer_mode=3 min=1 max=2048 size=512
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
FAILED: Input/output error

==
All 12 drives came with stock 1003 which flashes ok. But no other FW is accepted. What am i missing here ?

==
I am aware of a and non-a hw/sw differences as well as i know that 863a FW works. I even uploaded latest working one on sth one day.

But - now i quote:

"Uploaded for Drive Samsung PM863 (SED) latest known GXT5404Q and for Drive Samsung PM863 (N-SED) latest known GXT5103Q firmware."

So none of these two fits my non-a 863.

Last edited:

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
Hi,
The latest for the pm863 should be like GXT3003Q and for the sm863 GXM1203Q, i put the other files by intention in the -a folder... They share the same mercury controller, but as mrpasc said 48 layers instead of 32. Probably best to try upload a truncated Dell FW.
And i know that there are newer versions around (like sm883 HXM7A04Q or newer ones for the pm983 and pm9a3), but i have no source/access to it. You can potentially rip the firmware from a drive, but for re-upload to other drives it needs to be encrypted.

Reactions: pimposh

pimposh

hardware pimp
Nov 19, 2022
Unfortunately none of my PM863 had GXT3003Q from factory so i cannot help with it.

DarkServant

Apr 5, 2022
I leave the FW-Share open for everybody and look by from time to time, and thank everybody for taking part in extending/maintaining it.
And i hope nobody bricked their drive by now.

PS: i don't modify the upload folder, just pick the stuff and sort it

Last edited:

10baggerclub

Apr 14, 2022
So I appear to have a new firmware. I have four PM883's with firmware HXT7B04Q. I bought them from ebay, and they came that way. If someone can tell me how best to rip the firmware from the drive, I'd be happy to download it for the community!

They report as Samsung and not some OEM, nor does any labeling have an OEM logo or otherwise.

@DarkServant
thanks for the heads up... I want to see the change log between HXT7904Q, HXT7A04Q, now HXT7B04Q, and of course the FW file for HXT7B04Q but I guess my daughter would find her unicorn before I find these LOL

noriest

Jun 17, 2023
where i can find step by step ,how to update the firmware on windows pc.
thank you i really appreciate it