Firmware package for Samsung SM883/MZ7KH3T8HALS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mr44er

Feb 22, 2020
This can happen (and it did) with other brands or rusty spinners.

I know nothing about the SM883, but in general you should always update such firmware if it exists and you can get it. The second link has links with collections of those hard to get files (and sometimes changelog-info).
google found another thread here: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...package-for-samsung-sm883-mz7kh3t8hals.37154/
I upped also some files others have collected there: HDD Firmware Downloads. PC-3000 Support Downloads. Data recovery and HDD repair tools

Okki Nokki#71

Nov 22, 2023
Finally i got the sm883 (HXM7904Q) and pm883 (HXT7904Q) firmwares....
Updatetool and FW-Files

usage: ssdmanager.exe -d <disknumber> -AF -p <path to bin file>

PS: thanks for nothing Samsung!
Hello there. After some searching on the internet i passed by this forum and post. Hope you can help me out as I am not really an expert like you guys with Windows 11. I would only like to update to the latest firmware.

I bought a used Samsung SM 883 drive with 1.92 TB and found out it has firmware HMX7404Q installed. How does the ssd manager work? When i run it as an administrator it opens up and closes immediately. I assume i need to enter the above line through the Terminal?

If i am correct my drive number is 2 (found under disk management) The firmware file is located on my desktop and with right clicking it says :

"C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\HXM7904Q.bin"

How does it look when I want to enter the complete line with ssdmanager.exe.......

Big thanks in advance it's great to have people like you. :)

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Ssd manager is a cli tool, means you have to use it inside a cmd box. It is not „click and run“ and does not have a gui.
Place the ssdtool and the firmware binary in a folder (maybe c:\temp). Open a cmd box (as administrator), cd to you folder. Once there use the command you have quoted.

Reactions: Okki Nokki#71

cristianm

Nov 22, 2023
I try to upgrade with SSDManager a MZ7LM3T8HMLP-00005 with the GXT5404Q.bin file and this shows: "Failed to Download firmware from buffer".

SSDManager.exe -d 0 -AF -p GXT5404Q.bin

Any idea how to continue? I run this in windows 11.

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Do you run your cmd with „run as administrator“?
Just to be logged in with a user with administrator rights is not sufficient. You must run your console this way.
Additionally: you sure the disk in scope is disk 0 (-d 0)? Is it your system disk? Wouldn’t try that if so.

Okki Nokki#71

Nov 22, 2023
Ssd manager is a cli tool, means you have to use it inside a cmd box. It is not „click and run“ and does not have a gui.
Place the ssdtool and the firmware binary in a folder (maybe c:\temp). Open a cmd box (as administrator), cd to you folder. Once there use the command you have quoted.
Thanks for the reply. I tried the steps and now but now I'm getting this error : [ERROR]: Loading XML Schema failed.

Attachments

Okki Nokki#71

Nov 22, 2023
Do you have the Nanolib.dll and the DFDB_Basic.enc files in same directory as the ssd_manager.exe?
After your post I made sure they were. Now the manage is starting but ended with [ERROR]: There is no valid target disks

I checked the number of the connected Samsung drive through disk management and there is says disk 2.

Extra info: I connected my Samsung drive externaly with a StarTech disc bay connected by usb 3.0. The disc is empty and formatted to exFat.

C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\folder>SSDManager.exe -d 2 -AF -p "C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\folder\HXM7904Q.bin"
================================================================================================
Samsung SSD Manager Version 2.0.10.4.0
Copyright (C) 2019 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
================================================================================================
SSDManager is now configuring the environment for LSI MegaRAID SAS.
SSDManager is now configuring the environment for LSI SAS IT/IR Controller.
SSDManager is now configuring the environment for LSI SAS IT/IR2 Controller.
SSDManager is now configuring the environment for LSI SAS IT/IR3 Controller.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[ERROR]: There is no valid target disks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\folder>

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
Those USB adapters tend to hide the disk data (in device manager, how is the Samsung disk named?)
Strongly recommend to use internal Sata port instead.
What output gives „ssdmanager.exe -L“?

Reactions: Okki Nokki#71

Okki Nokki#71

Nov 22, 2023
Those USB adapters tend to hide the disk data (in device manager, how is the Samsung disk named?)
Strongly recommend to use internal Sata port instead.
What output gives „ssdmanager.exe -L“?
I checked: it says : Samsung MZ7KH1T9HAJR-0000 SCSI Disk Device in Device Manager.

The output you asked for shows this: If I am correct it is not showing up here like it should.

I have a Lenovo Thinkpad P53 laptop and today I have received my original hard drive bracket for internal 2.5 inch sata drives. I will install it tomorrow and connect it internaly like you guys adviced and will give it a new try. Thanks a lot guys it's 22:30 now in The Netherlands Europe (10:30 pm) and will go to bed. To be continued and wish you all a great evening!

C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\folder>SSDManager.exe -L
Samsung SSD Manager Version 2.0.10.4.0
Copyright (C) 2019 SAMSUNG Electronics Co. Ltd. All rights reserved.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Disk | Support | Protocol | Model | Serial | Part | Firmware | Driver | Status |
| Path | | | | Number | Number | | | |
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| *0 | X | NVMe | Samsung SSD 970 PRO 1TB | S462NF0MA07020J | - | 1B2QEXP7 | Inbox | Normal Mode |
| 1 | O | NVMe | SAMSUNG MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L7 | S4EMNF0M821934 | MZVLB1T0HBLR-000L7 | 5M2QEXF7 | Inbox | Normal Mode |

C:\Users\Tester01\Desktop\folder>

Azagap

Nov 25, 2023
Does updating firmware reset S.M.A.R.T. attributes? Especially 177 (B1).
For PM863a it doesn't. What about SM883?

Last edited:

john_doe

Jan 29, 2024
I purchased and received this SM883 3.84TB SSD today, which is advertised as "brand new", but the item's antistatic bag is pre-opened and sealed by transparent adhesive tape. I'm wonder if there is any website or tools to check or verify the item I received (by its serial number or similar) is truly brand new or refurbished. Could someone please let me know? Many thanks!

ano

Nov 7, 2022
check hours/reboots/datawritten with smartctl -a or smartcl -x

what did you pay? they are a few years old, so rare to find new, but they exist.

if seller wanted to pack it, so you couldnt see it was opened, he would have, so that doesnt say much really

john_doe

Jan 29, 2024
check hours/reboots/datawritten with smartctl -a or smartcl -x

what did you pay? they are a few years old, so rare to find new, but they exist.

if seller wanted to pack it, so you couldnt see it was opened, he would have, so that doesnt say much really
Thanks so much for your prompt reply! I purchased it from Samsung SM883 2.5, where the item's condition is advertised as "NEW".

I can indeed check the hours/reboots/datawritten by CrystalDiskInfo or other command line tools, but I heard somewhere in this threads that there might be a way to hack into the firmware/hardware of the SSD to modify all these values, so checking these values might not be truly reliable to confirm that it's not refurbished and really is brand new.

That's why I'm wondering if Samsung's websites provide any type of warranty check by serial number, which might be possible to indicate whether an item is brand new or refurbished. This is the case with HDD manufacturers such as Western Digital/HGST, but I couldn't find similar websites with Samsung to check warranty.

Last edited:

mrpasc

Jan 8, 2022
Munich, Germany
That's why I'm wondering if Samsung's websites provide any type of warranty check by serial number, which might be possible to indicate whether an item is brand new or refurbished.
They do not. And they do not offer any warranty for their enterprise stuff as it is not meant to be sold to end-customers. If you need to claim any warranty you have to fight with the seller. That’s why much people try to avoid Samsung enterprise gear…