ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

scouzi

Jan 8, 2024
Hi All,

I have a Gigabyte MS03-CE0 motherboard with a ES QYFS. The BIOS is F06. I'm trying to enable Resizable BAR but I'm only seeing 'Above 4G Decoding' option and it's enabled.

My linux is showing that it seems to be off for my Nvidia 4090 card.

BAR1 Memory Usage
Total : 256 MiB
Used : 10 MiB
Free : 246 MiB

There is no information in future BIOS release notes to say if it was enabled or not. Latest is R06.

Does anyone know if it's supported by Gigabyte SPR MBs?

I'm afraid to upgrade BIOS and lose support for the ES CPU. And the F06 Bios is no longer available for download.

Reason is I'm looking to take advantage of the recent hack that enables P2P memory on the RTX 4090 allowing 2 4090 to directly access each other's VRAM through PCIE. But Resizable BAR is a requirement for this to work.
Confirming that R06 with ES QYFS and MS03-CE0 works. Also getting rebar now. Not seeing any side-effects.

Thanks for the awesome support of this forum!

Why are the BIOS so slow to boot on server motherboards is beyond me (after all the init stuff). I suppose it's not an important feature of those compared to home PCs.

pppcx

Apr 2, 2024
Q071 on MS03-CE0
work good so far, very high frequency, similar to 8462Y+, memory latency is lower than XCC CPU(88ns), unfortunately the 270W TDP limited performance.
View attachment 36109
Gigabyte server MB are still a little crappy, ASUS W790 is probably the best (if it works).
This is a pretty cost effective cpu, can it support 8 channel memory?
Additionally, as far as you know, does this CPU have any bugs?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Why are the BIOS so slow to boot on server motherboards is beyond me (after all the init stuff). I suppose it's not an important feature of those compared to home PCs.
customer desktop BIOSs have many not important things removed.
if you have to reboot often something is wrong......

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
This is really pretty fast. I reduced Q03J to 30 cores. Then i get avg of around 3.43GHz on all 30 cores with HT, but only CB R23 45K. I think you found a Pareto point cost performance wise. Thanks for sharing.
MCC has higher performance power ratio, and can be faster through undervoltage
UV.PNG
This is a pretty cost effective cpu, can it support 8 channel memory?
Additionally, as far as you know, does this CPU have any bugs?
yes, it support 8 channel memory, but memory bandwidth is 20% lower than E0, maybe that's a bug in D0 and R0.
The test score on aida64 fp64 is different every time (40k+-20%), which does not occur on E0.

@RolloZ170 Can D0 got stable score in the fp64/fp32 test ?

Last edited:

pppcx

Apr 2, 2024
Q071 on MS03-CE0
work good so far, very high frequency, similar to 8462Y+, memory latency is lower than XCC CPU(88ns), unfortunately the 270W TDP limited performance.
View attachment 36109
Gigabyte server MB are still a little crappy, ASUS W790 is probably the best (if it works).
I have a ASROCK w790 ws, is Q071 available on this motherboard? There is very little info of this cpu on the web.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
don't know. but first the TDP can be exceeded, some time later not.
you have to build comparable environment.
This is very true, when i do a "cold" start up i get CB R23 67K. But when it is a little warmer from before, i some times only get 60K. It is very strange and not like my cpu is very hot only 50° or so, and max 64° on full load. should be far away from thermal limit.
It feels a bit random, maybe windows doing something else in the background.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
This is very true, when i do a "cold" start up i get CB R23 67K. But when it is a little warmer from before, i some times only get 60K. It is very strange and not like my cpu is very hot only 50° or so, and max 64° on full load. should be far away from thermal limit.
It feels a bit random, maybe windows doing something else in the background.
PL Time lImits: if they are exceeded unload the core and you have to wait.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I have a ASROCK w790 ws, is Q071 available on this motherboard? There is very little info of this cpu on the web.
unfortunaly i sold my ASUS W790 Ace and can not test SPR-SP R0 MCC on it.
but X13SRA-TF runs D0 and R0, so i am pretty sure ASUS/ASRock will do.
Note: my board was delivered with old Test BIOS w.old ME, you willl probably not get this BIOS.
Unbenannt003sth.jpg

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Does the es xeon can be used in machine for development such as server software /kernel development ? @RolloZ170 @all
prod.stepping / QS: yes
"machine for development / kernel" sounds like a professional environment. with a company in background please ask intel for QS (for free)

NON prod.stepping ES: NO
these ES are for motherboard/driver/BIOS engineers to build up things / find bugs, before launch of processor generation.
ES have bugs (even in the final sapphire rapids prod.units are still over 100 errata)
if you do kernel development and get into issue, you never know if it's your code or the ES/machine.

sapphire rapids provides Golden cove cores(Alder Lake) which are relatively error-free, but the uncore, accelerators, memory controller etc. are all new.

roidinev

Mar 20, 2017
ES have bugs (even in the final sapphire rapids prod.units are still over 100 errata)
So does the spr e0 can be used for kernel/system development?
Do you have the changlog for the cpu stepping of spr?

sapphire rapids provides Golden cove cores(Alder Lake) which are relatively error-free, but the uncore, accelerators, memory controller etc. are all new.
So look like we need prod spr for development.