ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
Just "received*" my long awaited Asrock SP2C741D16X-2T Mainboard, ordered from the US. Placed a Q03J but it wont post. error code FF which i could not find in the manual but according to here ( ASRock > Debug LED Troubleshooting Checklist ) gives directions to " Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear the CMOS. " Then I tried reseating the memory, reduced all memory to a single stick, reseated the other cpu. Still only tried single cpu config with cpu0.

I am getting a bit desperate... Any ideas? Who knows maybe they upgraded the bios, and it wont support the E stepping. maybe both cpu faulty. Mainboard problem. Returing the MB to the US, would be a headage, maybe i was naive and to optimistic.

Any suggestions of things to try would be welcome.

Last edited:

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
I am getting a bit desperate... Any ideas? Who knows maybe they upgraded the bios, and it wont support the E stepping. maybe both cpu faulty. Mainboard problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.
there is seller said Q03 */Q08 * (E0) is not working on non Gigabyte motherboard. unclear....
try return and replace to X13/MS73+Q0KL/Q0KG/Q0KM?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just "received*" my long awaited Asrock SP2C741D16X-2T Mainboard, ordered from the US. Placed a Q03J but it wont post. error code FF which i could not find in the manual but according to here ( ASRock > Debug LED Troubleshooting Checklist ) gives directions to " Please check if the CPU is installed correctly and then clear the CMOS. " Then I tried reseating the memory, reduced all memory to a single stick, reseated the other cpu. Still only tried single cpu config with cpu0.

I am getting a bit desperate... Any ideas? Who knows maybe they upgraded the bios, and it wont support the E stepping. maybe both cpu faulty. Mainboard problem. Returing the MB to the US, would be a headage, maybe i was naive and to optimistic.

Any suggestions of things to try would be welcome.
code FF ist just nothing happens, no code given.
both possible BIOS (initial 1.03 and beta 10.10) includes microcode for stepping E0 806f4 / 87

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Any ideas? Who knows maybe they upgraded the bios, and it wont support the E stepping. maybe both cpu faulty. Mainboard problem. Any suggestions would be welcome.
check BMCWebGUI inventory for last working BIOS version. if not 1.03 update to this.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
check BMCWebGUI inventory for last working BIOS version. if not 1.03 update to this.
Thanks, i did not know that this could work without post, but there is a lot i dont know. i will try it, have to admit i never used any BMCWebGUI, but now i am motivated to learn it and try.

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
I got in the BMCWebGui. At first i tried with firefox browser, and i could not flash the bios, the browse button to upload the bios was not responding. Then i tried with the Chrome browser (as recommended by RolloZ170 in pm). The flashing to bios 1.03 as well as beta bios 10.10 seemed to work. But after a power cycle (several ones naturaly). still no change, any new, bios 1.03 or 10.10 also do not show up in the ipmi anywhere.

Overall no progress. still error F.F. I tried dozens of things. cmos resets, with and without battery, booting with and withoug without battery, booting without any components except memory and cpu. Booting with cpu only. Different psu. reseating ram, cpu, tried 2 different cpu's, both Q0J3. All the same results. i tried1 some more cmos resets, another psu.Different Jumper settings, bios over ride, ME_recovery the 3 jumper setting variations that i found in the manual that seemed to make sense to me.

The only small change i got was when installing also the second cpu and or vga card. Then the ff code did not come almost instantly like 1 second after power on as always but the led error code display stayed of for a while, and the board forced some sort of resets itself. i heared the relais of the psu clicking, then it tried to boot for 5-10 seconds then again psu relais clicking. after 3-4 resets or retries, by the board itself ( i only powered it on, it stayed off (in stand by) after another try, (me pressing the power button) the same/similar happened some restarting, without any error codes, and then after 3-4 auto resets, the ff code came, and did not dissapear again :(. Also not after other restarts. Removing the second psu, or vga card, resulted in almost immediate ff code as any of all the booting attemps before.

Normally i would guess faulty motherboard, but with these ES cpu's who knows, maybe its still a compatibility issue.
Out of curiosity i tried to boot without cpu. Then i do not get the FF error code, but also nothing more happens. It seems just in standby with some green lights, but no errors or beeping. Also no errors in the ipmi log.
When i tried with the QYFS (D0) i got code FF exactly the same behavior as with Q0J3 (E0).

In the ipmi, there are no errors, on the other hand it shows no cpu information. there are no red lights no beeping, things sound pretty normal. Board and box look undamaged. Honestly the board is beautifull it would fit 2 noctua 140 air coolers, a lot of pcie cards but it is not going to make me happy if it does not run these ES cpu's. Maybe the cpu's are also faulty both although that is probably unlikely. But what is unlikely, is conditioned to the fact that some unlikely event already occurred. I already searched the manual and many forums for ff code. resulting in what i tried described above. I am getting out of idea's and hope to get this working. In retro spect i should have maybe first tried this cpu on a Asrock single socket board, that is available in europe, because i ordered this one from the US, and it will be a headache to return it in time.

Any suggestions about what to try or do are welcome!
I will also try to post in some other forums, to get some more ideas.

Last edited:

MillionMiles

Aug 22, 2023
i tried1 some more cmos resets, another psu.Different Jumper settings, bios over ride, ME_recovery the 3 jumper setting variations that i found in the manual that seemed to make sense to me.
There are two ATX 12V power connectors on the bottom right corner of the board, this same as the asrock w790 ws. on Asrock w790 ws, at least one of them needs to be connected otherwise it will no work. Have you connected them?

Reactions: DHamov

DHamov

Jan 12, 2024
There are two ATX 12V power connectors on the bottom right corner of the board, this same as the asrock w790 ws. on Asrock w790 ws, at least one of them needs to be connected otherwise it will no work. Have you connected them?
Good point, i forgot to mention it before, but yes , in most tests i connected them all of them. First time ever i connected 4 8-pin power cables in a motherboard from a single psu. I also tried several different possible combinations, just to see if it would make any difference. But in this case no, unfortunately still F.F.

Kizune

Dec 2, 2022
what url of kizune's ebay store is ?
It is empty right now. Buying stuff testing it and selling was just a hobby, I am not an entrepreneur. And after latest tax changes any sell of any item that costs over $600 will make me to pay a lot of taxes unless I literally start tracking what I bought for what price, did I get any profit for re-selling it after I don’t need it anymore, what is the exact profit was and what taxes should I pay from it. Before that change it was easy - just at the end of the year roughly calculate the amount of extra money I have on my hobby account, apply the tax bracket percentage, add it to the income tax and I’m done. Now it’s like a second job to do all the accounting. Not worth it anymore. So if I will ever sell anything it will be a cheap stuff. Like I’m about to move away from the ddr4 systems altogether and going to dump my collection of second generation Scalables and some Rome generation Epyc’s.

Reactions: Mion and JosefHrib

roidinev

Mar 20, 2017
Ok, i finally got myself an Asus Pro WS W790-ACE and tried all my available processors on it. Bottom line: the E3 stepping processors do not work with any of the available BIOS. Tested processors:

Q16Z Xeon Platinum 8461V stepping E3 - stops at code 00
Q0MN Xeon Platinum 8468 stepping E3 - stops at code 00
QY36 Xeon Platinum 8480+ stepping C2 - stops at code 04

Looks like only D stepping processors working with this motherboard. Will have to return Asus - which is quite sad, the deal was good and the motherboard is in an new open box condition. And i really like the layout and features. Such a bummer :( Not sure i want to spend money buying D0 version of processor - will probably just stick with the tested and tried Supermicro board for now.
W790-ACE is Intel® Socket LGA4677 for Xeon® W-3400 and W-2400 Series Processors*, but you use xeon Scalable Processors

AlexKaz

Jun 4, 2021
little Notes:
in the ES CPU Compatibility List,about 4189 Socket
you can add info for the mobo SM-X12SPL-F + ES QWAT
working good and stability with
BIOS v1.6
BMC v 01.03.05
I tested it from personal experience
BIOS v1.6 Bmc v 01.03.08
the system booting, everything is displayed, but, when you start to put a load on the cpu
the fans are loaded at full power, lowered and so on in cyclic order, that is, there is no stability
exactly the same situation with
BIOS v1.9 BMC v 01.03.11
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but on the other hand, the motherboard is completely new, SM replaced it under warranty
I'm attaching a screenshot so that if anyone needs it, I can see it
View attachment 35527
It is a normal situation. You need to tune FAN mode. For example, as there I noticed:

Reactions: AVID-MEDIA

roidinev

Mar 20, 2017
Just plan to build around the sm x13sem-tf mb in matx, Can someone give some cheap qs cpu suggestion? Just saw kizune's 8416v e3, but it has gone. Just saw many D0 step cpus on china market.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Just plan to build around the sm x13sem-tf mb in matx, Can someone give some cheap qs cpu suggestion? Just saw kizune's 8416v e3, but it has gone. Just saw many D0 step cpus on china market.
supermicro LGA4677 motherboards doesn't support D0
its currently unclear if they can run E0 steppings.

AVID-MEDIA

Nov 26, 2023
I made an official request to SM technical support and they clearly answered that it does not support