ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
You need DDR4 not DDR3. Coolers you have plenty to choose from. Fan, you will want a PWM (4 wire) 120/140 mm.
I run watercooling on my E5 V4, works aswell.
Would be better to use 4 DIMMS instead of two in order to get the quad channel.
Also, does Asrock provide good support for early ES? AFAIK it does not.

MIkeyG

Oct 31, 2016
Seems that you have turbo disabled, enable it via BIOS CPU settings. No wonder it doesn't boost.
Yes you were both correct, I assumed "Xeon Turbo Charger" Enabled would do it, but thats something else apparently.

I had to enable Advanced Power Tech. Configure TDP, Go under P state control, and enable EIST, plus, Turbo mode -

After all that, at least CPUID shoes EIST and turbo enabled, I tried to test and got it a core up to just shy of 2.4 Ghz, but with wasnt able to see a boost of anywhere near 3 GHz -

Any suggestions on another program I can try for forcing Turbo?

There are many detailed things in this BIOS, Enable CPU autonomous C State? ,UCore CLK Override, Config TDP level... I have lots of reading to do..

Thanks all

William

May 7, 2015
You are correct by enabling EIST and Turbo, that is how these things work. If you disable EIST you will loose Turbo.

This is actually a very common question that you ask. How can I see the max Turbo. The thing is you cannot with tools like CPUz and HWiNFO.
The thing to keep in mind is Xeons will try to keep a processor within its TDP limits, no matter what.
As cores become 100% load heat builds up on that core and it will switch loads around to keep hot spots from forming.

So now we throw full loads on all cores. In this case you will not reach full Turbo because that would go over full TDP limits.

I would suggest using a single threaded benchmark that will only use 1 core to messure max Turbo limits and perhaps AIDA64 to monitor core speeds.

Turbo will also taper off between cores... Max Turbo... 90% max Turbo... 80% etc. Xeons will not do all cores at max Turbo. Features that you might find on some motherboards and Xeons are cluster on die, this is to combat what they call noisy neighbors. Loads will dynamically move around so the heat from a core does not effect the cores next to it, more useful for VM's where one VM under heavy load is effecting other VM's next to it. Same principle really but working with VM's instead of cores.

These are not like i7 CPU's where we find much more control over cores and speeds on single socket enthusiast boards. Disable EIST, turn off Turbo and set Multi to desired speed that effects all cores the same.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Got my 2667 V4 ES. Took only 7 days to receive it via economy shipping! Usually it's 15-20 days :)
Heres the information, boosts @ 3,0ghz with all cores:

Mine had no scratches on the bottom of the CPU (gold plates), only on the heatspreader. Idle temps are 23C and load 46C with my ID-Cooling 240L (Ambient temp is 21C)

LaurentHU

Sep 13, 2016
I'll be curious to see what a 2667 V4 can do vs a 2683 V3 for about the same price - will you post benchmarks? Cinebench or anything of that kind? My 2*2683V3 are about 3100 on Cinebench R15...

Anyway glad I followed the advices here, I have now a very solid workstation that works perfectly, is lightning fast and the performances are great indeed. It looks like for now 2*2683 V3 QS / OEM is the best bang for your buck. I paid 700$ for 2 pieces, and it seems the best compromise out there - until we see some V4 OEM flooding the market, but probably won't happen before V5 are out.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I'll be curious to see what a 2667 V4 can do vs a 2683 V3 for about the same price - will you post benchmarks? Cinebench or anything of that kind? My 2*2683V3 are about 3100 on Cinebench R15...

Anyway glad I followed the advices here, I have now a very solid workstation that works perfectly, is lightning fast and the performances are great indeed. It looks like for now 2*2683 V3 QS / OEM is the best bang for your buck. I paid 700$ for 2 pieces, and it seems the best compromise out there - until we see some V4 OEM flooding the market, but probably won't happen before V5 are out.

Score is 1224, the 2667 V4 is great if you want to have higher single core performance. If you can utilize a lot of cores, that may be a better option.

vsamusenkovfx

Oct 31, 2016
Hey, guys, after misclicking and buying udimm instead of rdimms I've sent it back and I have a question, is it a lot worse to buy 2 x 16gb vs buying 4x 8gb, basically dual channel per CPU vs single channel ?
Z10pe-8d ws/ 2x Xeon e5 2630 v4

dicecca112

Feb 10, 2016
Can anyone tell me what V4 ES CPUs will not give me a Purple Screen of Death on VMware? Currently have a E5-2609v4 Retail running and thinking if upgrading is worth it.

LaurentHU

Sep 13, 2016
My 2x E5-2699 v4 ES Geekbench results. This is my test bench setup... well one of them anyway,
I think these are slightly slower than retail chips tho.
Supermicro Super Server - Geekbench Browser

This is my main workstation I use for everything, work, gaming etc.
2x E5-2699 v3's (ES came from Intel)
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. TS700-E8-RS8 - Geekbench Browser
This is my 2*2683 V3 OEM : ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z10PE-D16 WS - Geekbench Browser
Funny to see the huge difference between 2699V3 & V4, basically due to a lot more cores it seems... I am not sure the difference in Cinebench is that huge. But anyway, good to know there is a way up for the time V4 proc will be available in mass for cheap.

William

May 7, 2015
Nice rig you have there :)

Yeah Cinebench is Cinebench... for the 2x 2699 v4's - 4816, the 2x E5-2699 v3's - 4178
You know how it is tho., you can run it and run it over and over and get different results each time.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Has anyone tested the 24-core unreleased BW-E chip? Intel Xeon E5 v4 Broadwell-EP 2.1GHz 24-Core ES CPU C612 X99 MB Beats E5-2699 v3 | eBay
Seems that the yields werent that good on the 24-core die, and Intel disabled 2 cores and sold them as 2699 V4's. Pretty cool CPU though, wondering that if it works on a dual CPU system.
Or the 2679 V4? It's not on Intel's official listing, but it's a 20 core 40 thread BW-E that can boost to 3,2ghz on all cores, 200W TDP.
Intel Xeon E5 2679 V4 OEM 2.5Ghz 3.3 Max 20 Core Faster Than E5 2699 V4 | eBay

William

May 7, 2015
I just showed numbers for ES 24 core chips. It says CPU000 but they are a version of E5-2699 v4's.
All E5's work on Dual CPU systems.

I have not had any issues with them working on single socket systems... so far. Your mileage may vary depending on chips you get tho.
Its the ES game, sometimes things do not work out so well depending on what you get. That's why they are not retails.

If you don't have the stomach for these things and risks you might be taking than I suggest staying away from ES chips. They might have features with bugs or that are not working, its your risk. It's why these things get thrown out after they go retail.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Got yesterday my two 2630 V3 pre-QS from HW-Trade. The shipping from China through DHL took only 2 days.
Shipped the 7th and arrived the 9th morning.

01.jpg
02.jpg

Next week will arrive the rest of the system :-D

Reactions: William

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Got yesterday my two 2630 V3 pre-QS from HW-Trade. The shipping from China through DHL took only 2 days.
Shipped the 7th and arrived the 9th morning.

View attachment 3772
View attachment 3773

Next week will arrive the rest of the system :-D
Hey m4r1k, my 2667 V4 from HW-E has that warranty void sticker too. Thought at first, that there would be issues becuase it covers up those pads on the middle. I think that those stickers are a bit useless..

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
The stickers are useless but it doesn't impede or prevent operation. As long as the pads make contact with the angled lga pins then the processor will work. They probably just put those stickers there for warranty or so they can show it was sold by them.
Yeah true. Never seen another ES seller do this, bought from xtrememicro and hi-spec only and they had no stickers.

William

May 7, 2015
QK3G is E5-2630 V4 ES (ES2/pre-QS) not the E5-2630 V3. Do you have the link for the processors I didn't see HwTrade selling the R0 only the L0 versions.

William i am not sure if you were replying to me but with the X99 motherboard I also have a Gigabyte X99 motherboard which requires specific steppings to work with ES V4 Xeons. Otherwise I would gladly go for the A0/A1/L0 processors if it would work and not boot loop or cause a POST failure. In some ways regardless of motherboard though I prefer QS or ES2 if there is not a huge price difference between them and an ES1 even for V3 Haswell-EP.

I wouldn't say they get thrown out after they go retail. For example reviewers and partners/oems use the QS versions to test even after a product release since they are identical (aside from microcode, etc...) to a production processor.
They pretty much do get thrown out, they guy I work with gets thousands and in some cases he bids on dumpsters full of them.
No OEM will use ES chips on production systems, that's where these come from for the most part.

Now people like us keep them and QS are the prize but getting hard to find now. The ES market will dry up soon.
You are correct in saying that QS chips get sent out to reviewers and what not, even OEM's who seed them for reviews. Its next to impossible to get E5's, E7's etc from Intel, some do, even I have, but they are hard to get.

I should have said... the ES chips I have work on everything I have tested with, others might not.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
QK3G is E5-2630 V4 ES (ES2/pre-QS) not the E5-2630 V3. Do you have the link for the processors I didn't see HwTrade selling the R0 only the L0 versions.
Yep, it was a typo, after some thoughts I didn't make any sense for me to buy a V3.
Anyway, those are PRE-QS BW-E due to the CPUID. It might mean different frequency (either standard or turbo) but same features and erratas as retail CPU, which was very important for me.
Intel Xeon E5 2630 V4 ES QK3G 2.2GHz 10Core 25MB 85W LGA2011-3 Processor CPU | eBay
I'm note sure if hwtrade-e knows about this because I paid for a pair just 420 euros.

Hey m4r1k, my 2667 V4 from HW-E has that warranty void sticker too. Thought at first, that there would be issues becuase it covers up those pads on the middle. I think that those stickers are a bit useless..
Next week I will get the rest of the system (mobo included) after I know they work I will remove the stick ;-)

The stickers are useless but it doesn't impede or prevent operation. As long as the pads make contact with the angled lga pins then the processor will work. They probably just put those stickers there for warranty or so they can show it was sold by them.
Indeed but I prefer to remove them ASAP. I already know that after a while I will sell/change those guys and I want to prevent any age damage (e.g. due to old glue).
Actually, I'm already worrying that only 20 cores will not be enough for my usage :-(
At the end of the day, Intel itself does not sell any chip with a stick ;-)

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Now people like us keep them and QS are the prize but getting hard to find now. The ES market will dry up soon.
Why do you think the marker will dry up soon?
I'm buying ES chip since many years now (first for just collection, then for work) and it is always like this: after a new series has been introduced on the market, on ebay and on taobao you can find everything such as early steps, production steps like QS or pre-QS and everything else in the middle.
Now we are very close to the next major architecture (Skylake-E) and about a year ago has been released BW-E, so it is reasonable that on the market you can find every day less of them but at the same time you can buy E5 V1 and V2 for a fraction of their original price and you can get almost for free E56xx :-D
Intel Xeon E5-2695 v2 QS LGA2011 12C Compatible with X79 i7 3960X 4930K 4960X | eBay

But anyway, I think you guys see only the english market, because in china things a very different.
E5-2630V4 10核20线程2.2G 服务器CPU QS CPU 编号QK3G
Just 135 euros for a 2630v4 pre-QS ;-)