ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Idk do you guys have the similar problem: seems that the boot time is very slow on MSI boards. MY 2690V4 has a MSI X99A SLI Plus and it takes nearly 10 seconds to get a post on the monitor. Doesn't matter do you have fast boot or those kidn of enhancers on, still very 'slow'? For example, my cheap H81 board posts instantly. For some reason MSI MB's are just so slow? What gives? Had this same kind of problem on my Skylake 6700k + MSI Z170 Gaming Pro build.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016

Kalistoval

Sep 11, 2016
Idk do you guys have the similar problem: seems that the boot time is very slow on MSI boards. MY 2690V4 has a MSI X99A SLI Plus and it takes nearly 10 seconds to get a post on the monitor. Doesn't matter do you have fast boot or those kidn of enhancers on, still very 'slow'? For example, my cheap H81 board posts instantly. For some reason MSI MB's are just so slow? What gives? Had this same kind of problem on my Skylake 6700k + MSI Z170 Gaming Pro build.
Thats normal my haswell ES boots fast and my broadwell ES boots slow its just how it is

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I don't think that's necessarily how it is. Certain motherboards have slow post times and the additional microcode detection could possibly be slowing the boot-time on that specific motherboard.
It seems that it occurs on MSI recent MB's only... it's quite funny that a cheapo H81 Asrock boots faster than a high-end X99. What gives? Can't the MSI MB do the detection faster..

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
I've also seen slow POST times mentioned on other X99 motherboard brands. For example EVGA X99 Classified, Rampage V Edition 10. Usually that should be able to be addressed by a bios update (like the Rampage V Edition 10).
'
Weird. I think that it may be the chipsets fault..

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Hey there!

That's a very useful thread!
I'm an old ES buyer, in my home town I have dozen of ES CPUs, even the famous i9 :)

I'd like to have an advice for a dual E5 v3 system which I will use as a lab.
After a lot of research, the following one seems good.
Intel Xeon E5-2669 V3 QS QFRT 2.3Ghz 12Core 30MB LGA2011 Remarked CPU Processor | eBay

As far as I understood about HW, F3F2 means the QS stepping, so this CPU should really be a QS.

Any thoughts or best advice?

Roy360

Nov 4, 2016
Hello guys, I joined this forum so I could ask a question.

I'm thinking about replacing my i7 3820 Vs a dodeca-core Xeon.

I'm leaning towards e5 2692 V2 QE3E to use with my Asus P9X79 DELUXE motherboard.

Any issues I might encounter? There's a CPU that's one stepping higher (e5 2695) but it's also double the price.

P. S How is overclocking on the Xeon? I have a custom water loop, so I'm curious how far I can push it.

Roy360

Nov 4, 2016
Is it possible to lock the turbo @ all cores via the BIOS?
I would imagine you can. I plan in doing the same thing if I end up ordering one of these Xeon, and from what I've heard it should be doable if you can manage the heat

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Hello guys, I joined this forum so I could ask a question.

I'm thinking about replacing my i7 3820 Vs a dodeca-core Xeon.

I'm leaning towards e5 2692 V2 QE3E to use with my Asus P9X79 DELUXE motherboard.

Any issues I might encounter? There's a CPU that's one stepping higher (e5 2695) but it's also double the price.

P. S How is overclocking on the Xeon? I have a custom water loop, so I'm curious how far I can push it.
Ivy Bridge Xeons OC better than Haswell and Broadwells (via BCLK ofc) The average Ivy Xeon can reach up to 115 BCLK, whereas Haswell and Broadwell go to 105. There should be no issues I think, just have the newest BIOS installed to avoid problems.

I would imagine you can. I plan in doing the same thing if I end up ordering one of these Xeon, and from what I've heard it should be doable if you can manage the heat
Can't lock, tested. I have the option to tinker all 10 cores to the desires speed, but the settings wont apply.. bummer

Hey there!

That's a very useful thread!
I'm an old ES buyer, in my home town I have dozen of ES CPUs, even the famous i9 :)

I'd like to have an advice for a dual E5 v3 system which I will use as a lab.
After a lot of research, the following one seems good.
Intel Xeon E5-2669 V3 QS QFRT 2.3Ghz 12Core 30MB LGA2011 Remarked CPU Processor | eBay

As far as I understood about HW, F3F2 means the QS stepping, so this CPU should really be a QS.

Any thoughts or best advice?
I'd take the 2667 V4. Great balance of clockspeeds and core count. 8 cores, 16 threads, 2,9ghz base clock and a great price:
Intel Xeon E5 2667 V4 ES 2.9Ghz 20MB 8Core LGA2011 14nm 135W QHVD Processor CPU | eBay
Those can be put into a dual configuration.

Roy360

Nov 4, 2016
Xeon CPU's do not over clock, except by BCLK which you might get 104 out of them.
Not even though bootstrap? Can you force them to always be on turbo?

The bootstrap is sorta like a BCLK multipler but it only affects the cpu and ram base clk

I have an i7 3820 CPU that I was able to get to 5.0ghz despite being locked.

Last edited:

Roy360

Nov 4, 2016
Its an i7 that's why.
i7 3820 is Sandy Bridge and is unlocked, but has a Max value of 43x, those are much different than current Xeon's.
Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.6GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 2011 130W Desktop Processor BX80619i73820-Newegg.com

E5 Xeon's cannot be overclocked, except by BCLK. Even on single socket systems the most I have seen is maybe 110, on dualies 104.
Darn, I thought at the very least I'd be able to use the bootstrap for a modest overclock.

Thanks for correcting me. This may change my mind on getting a dodeca-core

Edit: it's called a cpu strap on Asus boards

TQS

Oct 17, 2016
IMHO the board is plucked return it.
I finally managed to get this CPU going :) Asrock x99 extreme4 with the latest BIOS made this happen! Looks like the Raider mobo was really broken or something.

Kalistoval, I really appreciate your assistance! Thanks a lot!

Reactions: William

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Hey, Thank you!

I'm building a config for a virtual environment lab. The current estimation is to have something like 10 to 14 always running VMs. That's very important for my work. I've chosen to go for a couple of E5-2683 V3. Total of 28 cores, 56 threads. Some of those VMs will use at all 4 to 8 cores.

What do you think about the supermicro X10DRI-O?
Maybe in one year I will need more cores and ram, so 16 DIMM and support for V4 Xeon will give me more flexibility.
Do you know if supermicro supports pre-QS CPU and UDIMM?
As far as I read on the thread, it does.

Coree

Oct 23, 2016
Hey, Thank you!

I'm building a config for a virtual environment lab. The current estimation is to have something like 10 to 14 always running VMs. That's very important for my work. I've chosen to go for a couple of E5-2683 V3. Total of 28 cores, 56 threads. Some of those VMs will use at all 4 to 8 cores.

What do you think about the supermicro X10DRI-O?
Maybe in one year I will need more cores and ram, so 16 DIMM and support for V4 Xeon will give me more flexibility.
Do you know if supermicro supports pre-QS CPU and UDIMM?
As far as I read on the thread, it does.
Supermicro has the best compatibility amongst motherboard vendors. They support early sample CPU's I think that many ES CPU sellers test those CPUs with a Supermicro board. You can get a 16 core Broadwell with a similar price compared to the 2683 V3:
Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 ES 2.0Ghz 40MB 16Core LGA2011 14nm 120W QHUY Processor | eBay
UDIMM support, I think that it is supported.

m4r1k

Nov 4, 2016
Supermicro has the best compatibility amongst motherboard vendors. They support early sample CPU's I think that many ES CPU sellers test those CPUs with a Supermicro board. You can get a 16 core Broadwell with a similar price compared to the 2683 V3:
Intel Xeon E5 2683 V4 ES 2.0Ghz 40MB 16Core LGA2011 14nm 120W QHUY Processor | eBay
UDIMM support, I think that it is supported.
Thanks for the reply!
Based on your answer and on what I've read on the thread I will buy tomorrow a supermicro X10DRI and 128GB RDIMM. As far as I read udimm sometimes work and something don't.

About the CPU: I can't buy early es steps for this configuration.
I'm looking to achieve production grade stability at a fraction of the market price. An early ES can be stable with normal usage (rendering, gaming, etc) but I'm really worried about VT-d (PCI passthrough and SR-IOV), AVX2 for SSL handshake and the new low latency VT optimization the in the V4.

So, I can pay I bit more for this scope.
Unfortunately, intel does not publish the errata list :-(