ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LikesFastAirplanes

Aug 8, 2017
Hello... new guy here. I am playing around with a cheap 2695 v4 I bought on ebay. I wanted to know, what's the status quo for stress testing these processors? Prime95 for 3 hours on 18 cores?

Then 5 passes of MemTest86 per stick of ram? I have 8 sticks of ram... could take awhile.

What's the best way to test maximum memory bandwidth? I'm using eight single ranked ECC unbuffered 4GB sticks, they are posting just fine in BIOS, so I'm eager to verify that they have full functionality before I buy more ram.

I more than willing to share results. :)

Edit: To clarify, if my processor or ram are going to fail. I'd prefer they fail sooner than later, when it is easier to return parts if they're defective under load. Apologies if that is confusing to some.

Last edited:

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
why would you stress test it? if its not overclocked it is no chance of getting stressed!

the boot screen should tell you what speed ram has settled at.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
So anyone seen any new Xeon ES already? Any information which are good or bad steppings?;)

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
A new ES on a v3? at this time? weird:)
O/C I was referring to the new socket CPUs :)

Doofus

Aug 16, 2017
I ordered two of these: Intel Xeon E5 2695 v3 ES QFGH 2.1GHz 35MB 14Core 28Threads 145W 22nm LGA2011 CPU | eBay
Shipping to the netherlands quite fast, i think ~ 11 working days.

One of them seemed perfectly fine, the other one looked like this:

A strange color on what i think is pad CT58. Qpi1_drx_dp14. So i assume one of the dual cpu interconnect pads..
I was told by the seller that it " it is a slight wearing-out that leaks inner color, not a missing contact. It doesn't affect working" and i've been asked to test it on my motherboard first.. Which ofcourse is reasonable to ask.

My motherboard unfortunatly does not arive untill after my holiday (supermicro x10dri), ill report back when i have test results

Attachments

Gaz_au

Aug 17, 2017
E5-2673v3.PNG Hi would anyone be able to provide some information and specs on this CPU (pictured).
Tried searching the numbers on Intel website ........ no result and not recognised at cpuboss.

Seller tells me its a "BETA" version (all ES are!!)
2.4GHz (3.1GHz max) QS
30 Mb Cache 12 Core - 24 Thread
Graphics Rendering
and better than E5-2670 v3

why can i not find any specs?
TIA

Gaz_au

Aug 17, 2017
The picture either shows a production processor (as a stock photo) or a processor that has had it's IHS remarked. If you are looking for a CPU-Z screenshot I've found one for this processor:

Intel Xeon E5-2673 V3 Qgdp Es 2.4ghz 12core 105w 22nm 30mb Cache Processor Cpu

I would also ask the seller for a S-SPEC since it seems that your seller is saying it's a QS when QGDP is a Pre-QS.

Thanks Nanotech

This forum is very informative, great support. My apologies for the following long winded request.
I am in rookie status on all this, spending a considerable time searching and researching. I am convinced the 12 core CPU is what i am after. I am currently waiting for my motherboard to arrive, Asus x99-A II.
At present i'm a little restricted by budget, knowing i can upgrade in future if required, i am indeed in search of a cpu that's value for money etc.

I have drawn a lot of specs off cpu-world website for a range of 12 core cpu's, all are version 3
E5-2658/70/73/76/78/80/90, all of these cpu's appear to be very similar in specs, with the exception of speed i guess, personally i am pretty keen on the E5-2690 v3 for this reason.

However E5-2673/76/78 v3 appear to be OEM versions as explained by the following member posts, referring to the E5-2673 v3:

(RolloZ170 29/8/2016) The 2673v3 is a custom one for Oracle datacenter, memctrl-optimized for LRDIMM
(Mita 19/8/2016) I would go for the 2673v3 looks like an oem version and it should have the same compatibility with retail xeons.

Cpu-world specs on these CPU's do not appear to have ES/QS S-spec numbers associated as far as i can tell (as stated ...rookie) Is there a clear advantage in these cpu's over the "ES/QS" versions of "Retail" cpu's?
Is there anything in particular i should look for or avoid when looking at these chips?

Getting back to the 2690 v3, cpu-world spec sheet end notes list the following, maybe you could explain what this means please and if there should be any concern.

Notes on Intel Xeon E5-2690 v3
  • The processor has 38W TDP in C1E state, 30W TDP in C3 state, and 13W TDP in C6 state
  • TSX instructions are supported for software development only. Due to internal defect, their usage may result in unpredictable system behavior
  • The processor has the following security, data protection and/or software features: Intel Secure Key, vPro technology and OS Guard.
Once again Thanks in Advance, any and all advice is greatly appreciated

TeamTommy

Apr 21, 2017
I am wanting to upgrade the CPU in my current ESXi server which is currently running the following:

E5-2603 V4 (Retail)
32GB Kingston DDR4 ECC
ASRock x99 Fatal1ty Professional Gaming i7 (Latest BIOS P1.40)

After doing some research about ES CPU's and ASRock having a bit better compatibility for them than other brands I decided to test out a E5-2630L V3 ES QEYX 1.8 Ghz 70w from eBay. I asked the seller if my specific board was compatible, and they responded that it was more than likely compatible, but they haven't tested the exact board with the CPU. I can return the CPU to them if it doesn't work for a full refund.

Received the CPU yesterday and could not get it to successfully post, giving the semi-common Q-Code 19 Bootloop error with any amount of RAM installed, and Q-Code 53 if no RAM is installed. I have tried clearing the CMOS several times and left the battery out for a few minutes while clearing CMOS for good measure, but it seems like my board is just incompatible?

I am going to try to see if it will post in another server I own offsite that currently has an ASRock x99m Killer Fatal1ty. If it works in that I will keep it.

Is there any resource for my particular board that would indicate what ES CPU's to look for for guaranteed compatibility? Generic lists just state that there should be virtually no compatibility issues, but this is my first foray into this arena, and I'm more than a little lost.

Thanks!

TeamTommy

Apr 21, 2017
I'm currently running a V4 Xeon with 4x 8GB Kingston ECC RDimms . I just tried with a 4GB RDimm and it still gives the same Q-Code 19 and bootloops with the 2630l installed.

Q-Code 19 is mentioned as being a known problem with V4 Xeons on Asus motherboards in a few listings:

Some but not all stuck on Q-Code 19 after reboot; They support v4 series CPUs with B0/M0/R0 stepping, v4 series CPUs QS version or retail version/ OEM version CPUs only. [/QUOTE]

ASRock compatibility lists for ES CPUs state that any BIOS version above 3.00 should be compatible. My current motherboard has a BIOS version of 1.40, which is the latest and after the firmware that allows it to accept V4 Xeons.
The ASRock x99m Killer motherboard I am going to test on is on Firmware 3.30. Not sure if that matters though since they are both fully updated, maybe downgrading the BIOS will help?

EDIT: Tested the CPU on the x99m Killer Fatal1ty board and I get the same result, no post and stuck at Q-Code 19 with an infinite bootloop. I also tried out the BIOS that was on the second chip, which was 1.40 I think.

Last edited:

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
This guy wants €450 for 2 Intel Xeon E5-2630L v4 ES's. Is that a fair price?

I would be using a Supermicro motherboard I have yet to buy.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Lets put it this way:
Its not cheap. If it's local you might save on taxes, but you might get them cheaper overseas.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
Lets put it this way:
Its not cheap. If it's local you might save on taxes, but you might get them cheaper overseas.
Ah ok, so an E5 V4 ES (E5-2630L v4) can be had for less than €225 ($268) each quiet easily?

It's Germany, so a closeby country, at least no import taxes from China, but I genuinely don't know how much E5 ES CPU's are worth.

An extra 100 watt would cost me €16,06* monthly, so I'm trying to get TDP low, but tips are very welcome.

*Verbruiken.nl

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Its the usual discussion (in this very thread previously) - Yes L CPUs have a lower TDP, but that does not mean that they use less power. They are just limited so they don't exceed thermal compensation options. More or less all Xeons use the same amount of power when idle; the most efficient on was 2640v4 iirc.

But they seem to be less readily available than they used to be - a quick search didn't show up many. So if you're keen on them then it might be the cheapest option right now.

vegeta

Aug 22, 2017
Ah ok, that's good to know. I'm not planning to use the limits of the CPU, but I've been bitten in the past by not getting a powerful enough CPU.

I'm mostly looking at TDP to save money on the power bill yeah, but maybe I shouldn't be too focused exclusively on the Xeon E5 L-series.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
One more powerful might be better than two low power ones since you dont need dual board, don't "pay" CPU base power cost etc pp.
Totally depends on use case o/c :)

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Also I would be reasonably sure that ES (QS should be close to retail) will,use more power, that's why a lot are a few hundred MHz down on speed also. Maybe somebody could measure for fun, it may not be a large percentage but I am sure it's measurable.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Ah ok, that's good to know. I'm not planning to use the limits of the CPU, but I've been bitten in the past by not getting a powerful enough CPU.

I'm mostly looking at TDP to save money on the power bill yeah, but maybe I shouldn't be too focused exclusively on the Xeon E5 L-series.
IIRC, The idle power consumption is not much less, if any, for the L series. Someone more knowledgeable please chime in.

The max TDP you want to get is governed by what your MB supports and how much your chassis can cool.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Certainly the idle power in the past has not been, we had L5640 sitting beside X5670 and they idled with no detectable difference, placement in the rack and the resulting difference in heat and subsequent fan speeds made more of a difference.

Have not used L cpu since except in absolute heat constrained rooms (self contained racks) since so can't say wat it's like today but I read it's same situation.