ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
i find basically all the ES really shitty on turbo modes. hardly what they are advertised as. better getting a lower model QS that makes up for it in real turbo.

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Recently picked up an E5-2628L v3 QS (stepping C1 according to HWInfo). Runs fine but had to downclock the ram from 1866mhz to 1333mhz to get it to boot. Also refuses to recognize more than 32gb of ram (two 16gb dimms), this on an Asrock X99 Extreme 3 (latest bios P3.50 installed), which has 4 slots that can accept 64gb total. It sees the first two slots, but sees no ram in them. The E5-2603 V4 (genuine) this is replacing sees the full 64gb just fine... Any ideas?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Recently picked up an E5-2628L v3 QS (stepping C1 according to HWInfo). Runs fine but had to downclock the ram from 1866mhz to 1333mhz to get it to boot. Also refuses to recognize more than 32gb of ram (two 16gb dimms), this on an Asrock X99 Extreme 3 (latest bios P3.50 installed), which has 4 slots that can accept 64gb total. It sees the first two slots, but sees no ram in them. The E5-2603 V4 (genuine) this is replacing sees the full 64gb just fine... Any ideas?
remove battery and clear cmos long every time u change cpu type.
Any scratches on the backside of QS ?
cleaned carefully before inserted ? (alcohol)
Hope BLCK is stock 100mhz...
if nothing helps, return it. what seller ?

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
remove battery and clear cmos long every time u change cpu type.
Any scratches on the backside of QS ?
cleaned carefully before inserted ? (alcohol)
Hope BLCK is stock 100mhz...
if nothing helps, return it. what seller ?
Sell is HWTrade (appear to have a good reputation on here).

No visible damage on the back that I can see and everything else you've specified checks out, and it was cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol before insertion.

I will hold on to it for the time being as 32Gb is enough for my use case at the moment, and i'll have two spare dimms.

It's just very interesting that it has this particular issue.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Sell is HWTrade (appear to have a good reputation on here).

No visible damage on the back that I can see and everything else you've specified checks out, and it was cleaned with Isopropyl alcohol before insertion.

I will hold on to it for the time being as 32Gb is enough for my use case at the moment, and i'll have two spare dimms.

It's just very interesting that it has this particular issue.
no seller is "sitting within the cpu" . each one can damage by packing/unpacking etc.
But it is crasy, i bought dozents of ES/QS...nevr had issues.
what memory type is it ? v4 have different memory controller.

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Will do, thanks for your advice :)
Details for RAM as below. I purchased this processor on Ebay, whilst overseas on business, we are talking April this year, and I've only just gotten back to try it out this week. Chances are that I have no chance of getting a replacement for this now, but then I was wondering why they only wanted $165 AUD for this chip. It's passing everything else I can throw at it testing wise. I'll pull it tommorow and check the contacts with a magnifying glass, I have a feeling that's where the problem may be.

EDIT:
Running a report from CPUID indicates that the ram that it is recognising, is running in 72bit mode, so ECC is working. The plot thickens.

Crucial 16GB CT16G4RFD424A DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) CL17 DR x4 ECC Registered DIMM 288pin
Model # : CT16G4RFD424A

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
In that case since your E5-2603 V4 sees the memory (it does however have a slightly updated IMC) it could very well be the processor itself (IMC as I've seen processors sold before with similar issues). Is that the only V3 processor you can test with?
At the moment yes, however I've been speaking to another member about a genuine v3 they're selling.

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
At the moment yes, however I've been speaking to another member about a genuine v3 they're selling.
I have gone and pulled it. 2 partially missing pads near the center of the cpu. That will be the problem. I have attached that picture from a third party website as an example. They don't appear to be burnt, rather torn or scraped away, and are located in the inner rows near the chips.

I am surprised that it is otherwise fully functioning, apart from the RAM issue. I'm guessing the pads relate to the IMC for sure. Interestingly, you can make it recognise 48gb in triple channel mode IF you populate the second slot (so B1, C1, D1 populated, but not A1) It has been running the 32gb using C1 and D1. Put the E5-2603 back in and it's all just fine and dandy again.....

Last edited:

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
Problem is I can't prove that I didn't cause that damage. As previously stated, on initial cursory inspection everything appeared to be fine. So I'll try with the seller, but I think this will become an expensive keyring otherwise.

EDIT:

If I can't get a repair/replacement, any idea if this is worth trying? very fiddly work but using a very fine needle with "helping hands" and a magnifying glass, perhaps they could be repaired with this stuff?

https://www.bareconductive.com/shop/electric-paint-10ml/

Last edited:

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
You didn't specify whether it is a ES2, QS, or production but I would say maybe $300 per processor. Threadripper will put alot of pressure on these Xeons coming August 10th due to price/performance and the nature/history of 2011/2011-3.
I know about the threadripper "issue" thing is, Threadripper is aprox 3000 cinebench score, and so is 2x 2683 v3.
It's neither QS or ES2, It's a retail chip.

moblaw

Jun 23, 2017
$300 per processor even for production processors and I feel that's pricing it at the higher end. That's what it sold at last year (and even lower) and prices will go down further on those V3/V4 Xeons. It's not too far off before companies also begin to offload V3 processors and even V4 processors.
"Offloading" only to regain which processors?

jparra

Aug 1, 2017
I bought a pair of those Xeon E5-2630 v4 on Ebay and I got a QHVK and a SR2R7. Each one worked perfect on my board (AsRock EP2C612D16C-4L) but not together - I got an error 79 during "System Initialization". Can't they be combined?
Please help, I am stuck :-(
Thanks in advance!!

Judgie

Jul 27, 2017
Perth, Australia
I probably wouldn't try to repair the pads themselves. They should be gold-plated and would be quite difficult to repair in my opinion or replace. It's better just to see if you can get it replaced or refunded.
I've contacted HWTrade-e regarding a resolution for this issue. Please see the attached picture below of the issue we're talking about, and a pinout diagram in case anyone wants to have a crack at the functions of the two pads. If you start at the center with the sticker, and then move just up and to the right of number "001" printed on the PCB above the sticker, you'll see two pads with what looks like abrasion damage. If this isn't the cause, then it likely has a faulty IMC.

Attachments

saivert

Nov 2, 2015
Norway
I wouldn't hold my breath for any "offloading" soon. Has there been a rush like with the E5-2670s before? I know you could get some LGA 1366/771 CPUs for cheap before this but I don't think that was anywhere close to E5-2670 pricing so shortly after the dump on market. Wasn't that essentially because of the opencompute platform and massive datacenter installations. You don't normally see this with commodity server from HP, Dell etc. there they usually sell off whole systems only.

I just don't wanna get too excited, that is all.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Speaking from an enterprise DC context and not a hyper scale cloud setup we are still having e5-2670 v1 hitting 4 year lease now, we purchased almost no v2 and purchased mostly again v3/v4, I don't know if this is just chance or if the v2 cycle was shorter but I know a lot of people jumped to the first e5's as it was a bigger upgrade from 55?? And 56?? Hardware.

To determine if there will be a big dump of CPU's you need to know what the hyperscalers have been doing 2 or 3 years ago, maybe less incentive to drop the old stuff maybe due to performance or relative power efficiency