ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Luckys

Jul 13, 2017
Norway
Would anybody be so kind and help me out identifying if the CPU I've planned on buying is actually not an early ES?
Intel E5-2650L V3 QS 1.8G 12 core 24 threads LGA2011-3 Server CPU Processor | eBay

quick links that might be useful.

Intel Xeon E5-2650L v3 - CM8064401575702
List of Intel Xeon microprocessors - Wikipedia

The confusing part is that it is printed with sspec number: SR1Y1 || witch is release sspec. but with m0 stepping. and thats an early ES from what I've understood.

I've read a lot in this tread, and other places but there is just a bit too much info about everything.
Would appreciate if someone would help me find out if it is worth a try or not.

Luckys

Jul 13, 2017
Norway
Ok, so both will actually be safe ish picks.
Is there any brands of motherboards that i should stay far away from when using ES / QS chips?
Im looking at an Asus C612 as of now, others i should look at?
Thanks a lot Nanotech!

quantan

Jul 14, 2017
Hi all. I'm new here. I just got a E5-4650 v3 QS QH98 with the price $140 on eBay. Is it a good price? Would you please help me to find out the best budget motherboard ~150$? I intend to use it for codding and web server for testing. I wonder if it is OK with my usage. Should I find another CPU? Thank you so much!

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
Hi all. I'm new here. I just got a E5-4650 v3 QS QH98 with the price $140 on eBay. Is it a good price? Would you please help me to find out the best budget motherboard ~150$? I intend to use it for codding and web server for testing. I wonder if it is OK with my usage. Should I find another CPU? Thank you so much!
find another cpu. thats a quad socket cpu and your motherboard will cost a fortune.

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
I see asrock X99 EXTREME4 in eBay with the price $119.00. Is it compatible with this CPU? Thank you :D
sorry i did not know 4600 series works in standard motherboards! people dont do it because they cost more than the 2600 and 1600 series

quantan

Jul 14, 2017
sorry i did not know 4600 series works in standard motherboards! people dont do it because they cost more than the 2600 and 1600 series
How about the CPU, is it worthy with the price $140? I can't find any benchmark of this one

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
It's probably somewhat similar to e5-2650 V3 and I think you got it for a very good price. I recently got this chip and paid much more. I have it in my X10DRI board and works fine. I don't think it will be a problem on single processor 2011-3 board either.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

LukeP

Feb 12, 2017
How about the CPU, is it worthy with the price $140? I can't find any benchmark of this one
its a good cpu for the money but its not good for coding. higher clocks and lower cores are better in most cases. eg a 7700k is better than any xeon for build times. for a test web server the same is true really. but anyway good luck to you. having a fast hard drive is also important for coding. so work on that if you have $.

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Ok back again for more advice, as overclock.net and the asrock forums not helping. Picked up 3x e5-2696 v3 SR1XK OEM C0/C1 (yet to arrive), so need to pull trigger on motherboard and memory. So far, biggest problem is memory....cannot find anything here in Norway that is RDIMM in 64GB for under 950 USD except for 2 sticks of 2x32gb 2133mhz (around 650 us so ok). As will prbly have to return several sets of memory, until find one that works (sigh!), have to go retail on this not taobao or ebay. Note that is because of 25% sales tax/VAT on all items.

However, running 1 module per cpu (single channel) can I even get say the asrock board or asus board to even post? Because, wow that would save me 450 bucks straight off the bat.

Am aware it IS possible to use udimm, however bit risky...although I don't believe the tech support at ASRock who told me ' you will brick your bios or board if you don't use udimm...sic' to that effect. But since 500 usd is around retail price for 64gb normal udimm non-ecc, figure I can live with single-channel, and leaves plenty of space for upgrading. But will it post? Has anyone even tried this? Coughing up 950 usd for 8x8gb rdimm ecc's..well not going to happen. I'd almost rather sic 'brick my bios', however that is possible?!??

And yes the extra cpu is to sell, or in case there is a bad one. My price around was 750 usd, but normal retail over here in Scandinavia, cough still around 28000 kroner, or 3400 usd. Was going to try and sell for around 2k usd to help pay for the build, but guess threadripper and all the new releases paid to that idea. Happy with 3-400 bucks profit now (knock on wood, not arrived! or tested!).

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
As may be GPGPU rendering in the future, and already have 3 pci-e slots taken on my z9 (m115 hba, gtx 770, sound card), need to see as many pci-e slots as possible. So (not keen on watercooling and modding to single slot lots of boards, but risers possible), narrowed my mobo search to the ASRock EP2C612 WS, the Asus Z10pe-d8-ws, or needs a ghetto case (cannot afford caselabs) the supermicro X10DRG-Q. Yes see new mobo formfactors just arrived on supermicros site, for the new xeons. So my 3x e5's prbly just dropped even more in value.

And well my SB xeon e5-2665's ES B0 are now worth...wait for it...diddly squat! As well as my z9pe mobo and 64gb ddr4. Dam! What timing....

Last edited:

Davewolfs

Aug 6, 2015
What's the value move these days. Still running 2670s and am happy with them. If I have modern GPUs am I going to see a huge boost on games or matlab/python by switching out these CPUs?

squidman

Jul 8, 2017
Am into rendering, have e5-2665's ES at the moment with 64gb ram which is fine for 'cough' more than enough for most day to day tasks like watching 4k (gpu dependent), normal non-heavy Adobe rendering in premiere, AE, etc.

Don't know about matlab, depends on how heavily CPU dependent it is? Games, all about GPU these days, don't sweat it, just cough up for gtx 1080 ti, and you should be good up to 4k. My guess..no change by switching out cpu's in gaming..probably worse. Games like fewer threads and higher frequency (like adobe). Build a cheap gaming pc for 1/10th price of cpu upgrade, and spend monies on GPU.

My prob is, rendering engines like vray, Arnold, renderman etc..wow they like cores, and the difference between your 2670 or my 2665 ES Sandy Bridge Xeon V1 and the current top-of-the line e5-2699 v4...well I get 1550 on Cinebench R2 with my two old cpu's. Current 2699 v4's get around..5200 +/- (a lot!). I just picked up the two older gen e5-2696 v3's which average around 4200. Ray-tracing basically, in 3d programs. So the difference is in say a 30 second scene, with 24 fps, 720 frames, and iff each frame takes say 5 minutes on my current setup for a really good final render....do the math...

For say a 30 second scene in Vray everything maxed out, 5 minutes per frame for 1080p..not even going to touch 4k here...

5 minutes per frame * 720 = 3600 minutes or 60 hours or 2.5 days with e5-2665
with e5-2696 v3 roughly (4200/1550)=roughly 2.71 x faster. Or (sorry very rough maths! 3600/2.71)= 1328 minutes or 22.1 hrs.
e5-2699 v4 roughly (5200?/1550)= 3.35x faster or for same scene...or 3600/3.35)= 1074 minutes or 18 hours.

So if you screw up your scene, and have to re-render...well big big difference between 2+days and less than a day! This is assuming final output quality tho, and as a rule, when rendering, ALWAYS render frame-by-frame so that if there is a colossal co!up! or crash you just have to go back to render from the last good known frame. Now why can't adobe do this? See previous epithet..and as a rule, Maya, 3DS Max, WILL CRASH when rendering mid-way through....or just crash for the fun of it.

Uhhm having a few beers so can't remember the old maths too well (studied finance for 8 years! but now couldn't integrate to save my life!), but for certain things, yes we need lots and lots more cores (like 3d rendering). Matlab..not too sure. Gaming, definitely not. Never got into matlab, learning spss and Bloomberg terminals was more than enough!

Sorry got excited there, someone else can comment more knowledgeably on Matlab and Python..but for the life of me can't see matlab being that CPU intensive? Unless you're solving to some nth degree some unsolveable equation in which case you need a supercomputer? ;)

Last edited:

Laszlo

Jul 28, 2016
Matlab can be CPU instensive indeed, but for most of the time, it is single threaded. You have to work on your code to make it multi threaded (for e.g. with parfor cycles). If you have a multi threaded code, it can take advantage of the extra resources and you can perform crazy computations. But as I mentioned, most of the time it is single threaded, and it can take advantage of the higher turbo clocks and the architectural improvements.

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
@squidman So the 26xxv3/4 works fine in dual CPU with only one memory as far as I have seen. And it doesnt seem to matter if you place it in CPU1 or 2. They will share the memory over QPI any way. Only thing important is to place it in first rank in any of the channels.

b3nno

Jul 17, 2017
Hi! Long time lurker speaking..
I've been running an QEYN (E5-2650v3 ES on ebay) with the Supermicro X10SRL-F motherboard for a couple of months. Its running ESXi, with devices in passthrough.
Have had trouble with the server freezing alot lately. I've tried different versions of ESXi (currently running 6.5.0).
It can go on for 1 day or 2 weeks before freeze happens. It does not BSOD/purple screen, but totally freezes and needs a hard reset.

I have now disabled C6 states in BIOS, and seems like it may have helped, but it has only been 4 days since powerup.
Anyone else experienced something like this?

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
@b3nno .. so any QExx are pretty early engineering samples. The more stable were called QFxx and the qual QGxx as far as I remember. Perhaps the microcode updates stopped coming for the ES processors?

Edit: Im sure there are lots of exceptions where the QS or ES had other first two letters. But in broad strokes I think above mentioned is correct. Im sure someone will correct me :p

Last edited: