ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alucasa

May 23, 2017
Well, it's up to you. If I had a choice between QS and OEM and price difference is negligible, I will always choose OEM. QS is ES.

biobill

May 22, 2017
Well, it's up to you. If I had a choice between QS and OEM and price difference is negligible, I will always choose OEM. QS is ES.
I can't disagree with you, I just mentioned what I noticed.
Anyway, with all these Chinese sellers out there, how can somebody recognize OEM compared with QS? Is there a way I can check if they're saying the truth?

alucasa

May 23, 2017
If you run HWiNFO, it will show. It will also show in BIOS as well in CPU info section.

Here is mine. Look at the red circle. If QS or ES, it will show Eng. Unit.

spec_redcircle.jpg

biobill

May 22, 2017
Ryzen setup may run you cheaper and accomplish the same.
I was thinking about Ryzen but I won't have the possibility in the future to upgrade the CPU. As I understand, AMD will not upgrade ryzen 7 series since they are preparing the ryzen 9 which will not be compatible with current am4 mobos.
In the other hand with x99 I can upgrade in the future to a xeon v4, better than the one we're talking about.

I am a big fan of AMD (I'm running now a fx-8350) but I think that the xeon way is better for me... if you think that I am wrong please correct me.

alucasa

May 23, 2017
Upgradability is a tricky business and often it's not worth the hassle.

For the record, X99 is a dead platform as well. X299 will be out soon. And v4 isn't significantly better than v3, either.

Ryzen 9 and 7 are two totally different beasts as well. Ryzen 7 is for desktop users. Ryzen 9 is for workstation and those chips will be near 1,000 price point or more.
Additionally, I do not think you need Ryzen 9.

Since you can't really OC Ryzen without ruining power efficiency completely, you might as well go for Ryzen.

Reactions: biobill

alucasa

May 23, 2017
I wouldn't recommend AMD if they sucked. Ryzen is a good uarch, so I am recommending.

I went for dual 2683v3 only because I was already running a single 2683v3. I wouldn't gain anything from sidegrading to Ryzen 1800x.

lbjm

May 29, 2017
Hi, everyone!
I'm new in this forum as I am new in xeon cpu's.
I want to build a workstation, not for games and I don't have the time and the mood for overclocking.
This workstation will be for virtualisation, coding, media editing etc.
I have in mind the Asrock X99 Taichi mobo with one of E5-2683 V3, E5-2660 V4 or E5-2650 V4.
What I've found so far:

Intel Xeon E5-2683 V3 QS 2.0GHz 35M 14Core LGA2011-3 CPU Processor | eBay

Intel Xeon E5-2660 v4 ES 2GHz(2.5GHz)LGA2011-3 14C Compatible X99 i7-6900K 6950X | eBay
and
Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4 ES 2.2GHz LGA2011-3 12C Compatible X99 i7-6850K 6900K | eBay

I'm not very hot about the last one but it's an option...

I want your opinion and advice on my first step with xeon. Or should I end up with a Ryzen?

Thanks in advance!

There are Xeon E5 2697 V4s ES chips on ebay for a little more that would fit your use a little better. If you want to code and want to make apps and do media encoding Intel chips are better than AMD chips. The biggest reason is most of the media encoders are complied or use Intel compilers. Ryzen right now is a cheap gaming rig. I ran into problems years ago when I went with AMD opterons and AMD has not improved their dev support much since then. As for VMs if you are going to use VMware again use Intel, but if you are going to use virtualbox Ryzen might work OK, but still you want to do your research.

biobill

May 22, 2017
There are Xeon E5 2697 V4s ES chips on ebay for a little more that would fit your use a little better. If you want to code and want to make apps and do media encoding Intel chips are better than AMD chips. The biggest reason is most of the media encoders are complied or use Intel compilers. Ryzen right now is a cheap gaming rig. I ran into problems years ago when I went with AMD opterons and AMD has not improved their dev support much since then. As for VMs if you are going to use VMware again use Intel, but if you are going to use virtualbox Ryzen might work OK, but still you want to do your research.
Hi!
I am a web developer, I'm not making apps, I'm building websites etc. Working with an AMD FX-8350 for a few years was ok for me but now this system starts to show it's age. I also use VMware without problems. Virtualisation runs without problems on my FX-8350 so I guess it will run smoothly on Ryzen too. Also, other programs (like photoshop, illustrator, corel etc) are working flawlessly till now, so I don't complain about AMD. Great value for money!
The only reason I was thinking of Xeons is many cores/threads, especially for virtualization reasons. That's all.
But as other posts above are saying (and is a fact), x99 is eol and AM4 is the newest platform right now.
So I'm thinking of going with Ryzen 1700x with an option to upgrade in the future with a newer Ryzen CPU with more cores/threads.
Thank you for all your assistance.

lbjm

May 29, 2017
Hi!
I am a web developer, I'm not making apps, I'm building websites etc. Working with an AMD FX-8350 for a few years was ok for me but now this system starts to show it's age. I also use VMware without problems. Virtualisation runs without problems on my FX-8350 so I guess it will run smoothly on Ryzen too. Also, other programs (like photoshop, illustrator, corel etc) are working flawlessly till now, so I don't complain about AMD. Great value for money!
The only reason I was thinking of Xeons is many cores/threads, especially for virtualization reasons. That's all.
But as other posts above are saying (and is a fact), x99 is eol and AM4 is the newest platform right now.
So I'm thinking of going with Ryzen 1700x with an option to upgrade in the future with a newer Ryzen CPU with more cores/threads.
Thank you for all your assistance.
Ryzen Threadripper won't use the same socket as the current desktop Ryzen you are talking about and chances are Ryzen won't meet your future needs. You were looking at Xeons for more cores, but threadripper also might meet those needs.
First AMD X399 HEDT Motherboard For Ryzen Threadripper CPU Pictured

Actually the latest platform for Intel is X299 and X399 for AMD do a google search for computex news, but in all honestly pairing a xeon with the X99 or x299 limits the amount or ram you can use with a system. The C612 workstation/server version of the x99 can be purchased in single socket form allows you to use the full feature set of the Xeon, I don't know yet what the workstation/server version of the X299 is.

Last edited:

biobill

May 22, 2017
Ryzen Threadripper won't use the same socket as the current desktop Ryzen you are talking about and chances are Ryzen won't meet your future needs. You were looking at Xeons for more cores, but threadripper also might meet those needs.
First AMD X399 HEDT Motherboard For Ryzen Threadripper CPU Pictured

Actually the latest platform for Intel is X299 and X399 for AMD do a google search for computex news, but in all honestly pairing a xeon with the X99 or x299 limits the amount or ram you can use with a system. The C612 workstation/server version of the x99 can be purchased in single socket form allows you to use the full feature set of the Xeon, I don't know yet what the workstation/server version of the X299 is.
I know about Threadripper and I could wait for it if only I could afford it. But I am sure that right now it's far from my budget which is about 1000-1100 euros (for the full system). The same with the x299...
I have to choose between Ryzen and E5-2683 V3 (one CPU) since my budget can't afford something more powerful.
From the other hand, I can't wait for ages in order to raise my budget to get something better. This is the only tool for my job and right now I'm facing problems with the fx-8350 I work with. So, I have to build something asap...
Anyway, that's my job, that's my destiny. I have to keep changing my workstation every few years.

lbjm

May 29, 2017
I know about Threadripper and I could wait for it if only I could afford it. But I am sure that right now it's far from my budget which is about 1000-1100 euros (for the full system). The same with the x299...
I have to choose between Ryzen and E5-2683 V3 (one CPU) since my budget can't afford something more powerful.
From the other hand, I can't wait for ages in order to raise my budget to get something better. This is the only tool for my job and right now I'm facing problems with the fx-8350 I work with. So, I have to build something asap...
Anyway, that's my job, that's my destiny. I have to keep changing my workstation every few years.

Since you need to build something now try looking for some cheap sky lake desktop parts and also look at e3 xeons most of those are quad cores. Your fx-8350 is dated to the point an i5 can beat it:
Intel Core i5 4690 vs AMD FX 8350

What you could do now is an upgrade bump and when Ryzen 2 or 3 comes buy the ddr4 ram you want and get one of those. Right now ebay has tons of chips because people want the latest and greatest, but 1st gen of a new arch has its' growing pains.

biobill

May 22, 2017
Since you need to build something now try looking for some cheap sky lake desktop parts and also look at e3 xeons most of those are quad cores. Your fx-8350 is dated to the point an i5 can beat it:
Intel Core i5 4690 vs AMD FX 8350

What you could do now is an upgrade bump and when Ryzen 2 or 3 comes buy the ddr4 ram you want and get one of those. Right now ebay has tons of chips because people want the latest and greatest, but 1st gen of a new arch has its' growing pains.
I don't count on what cpuboss say. For example, in this case, it compares the integrated GPU performance for graphics between a cpu (i5 4690) with integrated graphics and another one (fx-8350) without integrated graphics, then gives ZERO to AMD and finally, at the end, AMD takes 6 and Intel takes 9.4!!! That's for kids.
As I said I need many cores/threads and CPUs like Core i5 or E3 xeons are not for me. I prefer staying with my 8350 since there's no meaning to leave a weak PC for another weak PC.
I will go on with Ryzen 7 even if I have to often update my BIOS. This is not a problem for me.