ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
And how well would a single or dual Intel Xeon Gold 5218 ES QQ8M CPUs work in this motherboard, in a server application? Will virtualization work fine with QQ8M?
QQ8M is 2ng gen scalable. this board has old BIOS thought.

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
do you have BIOS update files ? i found none. if it supports ES,it is old BIOS for Skylake only.
No. The spec is available, but the firmware isn't. I should be able to dump them though when I get it, if that's of interest to you.

But I did find this. Someone had some Cascade Lake QR8Ps that they had from a unit with the board. They dumped the firmware on the next page, but sadly the files have been deleted.

Also here's a document with the motherboard design in it that mentions Cascade Lake support.

Edit: oops forgot I'm not on reddit, fixed links

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
No. The spec is available, but the firmware isn't. I should be able to dump them though when I get it, if that's of interest to you
yes that would be nice. can you dump with a USB programmer ? its not easy to get all of the BIOS using the OS.
first the OS dump will be OK, but to modd the BIOS and reflash back we need the complete dump.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
But I did find this. Someone had some Cascade Lake QR8Ps that they had from a unit with the board. They dumped the firmware on the next page, but sadly the files have been deleted.
C2030_MC.jpg
means QQ8M(50655) will work. skylake ES like QL1M not.
unfortunaly i don't have this BIOS, only saved the screeshot from winrad forum.

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
And how well would a single or dual Intel Xeon Gold 5218 ES QQ8M CPUs work in this motherboard, in a server application? Will virtualization work fine with QQ8M?
some say it works. i don't know. but you should note: the microcode of the QQ8M is not supported by intel anymore since 2019.
no corrections of errata or vulnerabilities.

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
yes that would be nice. can you dump with a USB programmer ? its not easy to get all of the BIOS using the OS.
first the OS dump will be OK, but to modd the BIOS and reflash back we need the complete dump.
Oh yeah that's how I planned to dump it anyway. I don't have a CPU.

There's also this weird connector:

Labelled "BIOS_FLASH". I can't even make out what type of component/connector that is. It weirdly looks like a female and male connector already joined on the board. Do you have any idea? Would I be able to easily grab the firmware from there?

Oh nice I missed that.

The person I spoke to on reddit said that they were using their Microsoft motherboard with Skylake ES. I'm guessing that it will depend on what firmware I get it with then? And I might have to try and hunt down the Cascade Lake firmware.

If I don't have the right BIOS, should it be moddable?

some say it works. i don't know. but you should note: the microcode of the QQ8M is not supported by intel anymore since 2019.
no corrections of errata or vulnerabilities.
Ahh ok. I've heard that most Skylake ES have serious issues with virtualization, so I'd rather avoid that (and Skylake QS are harder to find for cheap).

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Labelled "BIOS_FLASH". I can't even make out what type of component/connector that is. It weirdly looks like a female and male connector already joined on the board. Do you have any idea? Would I be able to easily grab the firmware from there?
very NICE !! the gray boxes are Firmware socket. you can open them.

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
very NICE !! the gray boxes are Firmware socket. you can open them.
Oh that's neat. Should make it much easier.

Thank you for the help! It should arrive next week. I'll get back to you when it arrives.

Edit: oh I noticed there's two BIOS chips, #0 and #1 (and also BMC FLASH). Do you think it's just a backup, or should I dump both?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Ahh ok. I've heard that most Skylake ES have serious issues with virtualization, so I'd rather avoid that (and Skylake QS are harder to find for cheap).
yes, but ES have lower frequencies. a QL1M(16Core) has all core turbo 2200Mhz, the 6130 QS 2800Mhz.
look for QNFC, its 6130 QS without showing model. $180 usd.

Reactions: levihb

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Edit: oh I noticed there's two BIOS chips, #0 and #1 (and also BMC FLASH). Do you think it's just a backup, or should I dump both?
maybe you can switch between. better both dumps. who knows ? maybe its one for ES and one for Cascade Lake LOL.

Reactions: levihb

levihb

Jul 13, 2020
Oh one more question. What power supply would you recommend for dual QQ8M's? Both in terms of wattage, and any specifics? That motherboard only has +12V input by the way, so the +12V rail is really what's important, it doesn't use 5V etc at all.

Edit: might be better to find some second hand server power supply, and modify that to the pinout of the connector? As of course server PSUs are often 12V only.

Here's the pinout of the motherboard's 24 pin connector, it's just +12V the one side, and GND the other. The 8 pin and 4 pin connectors on the board are all outputs for SATA etc.

Edit 2: Would a 100A 12V server PSU be fine to run these? Or is that pushing it too close? Based on this article it seems some of them can hit 650W+ for one processor? What about if I instead went with a Skylake QS, would 100A be enough then?

Last edited:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
What power supply would you recommend for dual QQ8M's? Both in terms of wattage, and any specifics?
PL4 if the QQ8M is 160W, max, is 307W which you will never see, it is ES with lower frequencies.
500W PSU will be enough just for the two CPU, add the Watts of your GPU and other devices.

Reactions: systemviper

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
Can anyone here please provide me with or point me toward the modded 2.0b Bios for the X11DPi-N?
It was mentioned here a few times but nothing in regards to where to get it, i think.

EDIT: Was provided one.

Last edited:

spicysnow

Mar 12, 2022
I know i've asked this on my own thread, but maybe this time i will get more information :). So i bought dell t7820 and would like to ask if ES cpu's would be supported. On my own thread, i've got an answer that only cascade lake ES cpu's would work(QQxx) but maybe there's a possibility to run first gen ES cpu's ? maybe by modding bios or something like that :)?. Thanks for answers in advance.