Difference between A1SRi-2758F and A1SAi-2750F?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Hi all,

I'd like to buy up a 2nd-hand C2000 board (after checking that it's a newer revision that doesn't suffer from "that" notorious bug, of course).

What are the notable differences between the Supermicro A1SRi-2758F and A1SAi-2750F?

Requirements: mini-ITX form factor and silent (or near-silent) operation, preferably fanless. Can I get away without a CPU fan on these CPUs? I would house it in a SFF mini-ITX chassis, with good ambient airflow. A Noctua cooler (either on the chassis or on the CPU is an option if necessary).

I have two use cases in mind:
  1. Internet-facing firewall and router. pfSense is a likely candidate.
  2. Lightweight virtualization host. I don't want to load it heavily, but rather, to experiment with different hypervisors, VM configurations, application use cases, etc.
So the ability to repurpose is important!

What do you think? Which is the preferable board generally? Thanks!!

ullbeking

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
2750 has turbo boost and no quick assist. C2758 is the opposite
I have no experience with either Turbo Boost or Quick Assist, except for what I've read. And even though I understand in theory what they are, I don't know if one is generally preferred over the other. My guess is that QAT might be preferred if I'm doing encryption or running a VPN, which means C2758. Would that be a reasonable assumption?