Dell Poweredge R240 - Barebones w/ Xeon E-2124 - $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Oarman

Feb 28, 2021
It's a reasonably modern processor and chipset, power supply, IT-patchable RAID card. It has IPMI and works properly with ECC RAM. It seems like a far better starting point for a baremetal TrueNAS build than a lot of the garbage consumer stuff you see people using. At these prices and free shipping it seems like a pretty great deal to me.

The biggest hassle for me will be trying to figure out how to rearrange the guts into a more pleasant case; I'm resigned to 3D printing.

Reactions: fohdeesha

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Seems like the A4 rails is limited in supply. Cheapest is $50 with shipping.

Quartermaster

Right, now pay attention 007!
Jun 3, 2020
I'm curious, are these OEMR dells or retail systems? I've been reading that OEMR 240s have some weird quirks and I'd like to avoid them if possible.
They can be converted to the standard non-OEM BIOS - Google for guides :)

Sadly it appears Dell doesn't have any OEM supported 10Gb NICs for these chassis.
I have ~20 R240s with 942V6 X520 NICs in them, all work fine. The Dell R240 update ISO detects them and performs Intel NIC firmware updates fine.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Put in an offer. Does this take SAS or SATA? I have either drives for it.

with CDW special for ECC UDIMM expired, any other good deals for 16 or 32GB?

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Put in an offer. Does this take SAS or SATA? I have either drives for it.

with CDW special for ECC UDIMM expired, any other good deals for 16 or 32GB?

If they come with the PERC H330 as advertised, they'll accept both SATA and SAS and will have a hot plug backplane. However there are configs that accept SATA only and/ or don't have a hot plug backplane.

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
They can be converted to the standard non-OEM BIOS - Google for guides :)

I have ~20 R240s with 942V6 X520 NICs in them, all work fine. The Dell R240 update ISO detects them and performs Intel NIC firmware updates fine.
Regarding BIOS: I know that you can do that, but I like to use Dell Openmanage and after dell nixed the XC730 from automatic firmware updates I decided to just go with standard Dell equipment and none of that repurposed stuff.

Regarding X520s: I figured they'd work, and tbh that's great that they /do/ work. I figured for 135/each I'd take the chance with X520s, it's good it works and all, I was going off the official Dell specsheet. Troubleshooting weird edge cases is not something I'd like to do with my time anymore, and will pay extra for OEM validated configurations. Just my opinion tbh.

jcpingu

Feb 14, 2021
I see above someone say it works well with ECC RAM. Any advice on cheap ECC RAM for the unit? What are you guys using?

tathers

Aug 24, 2022
I see above someone say it works well with ECC RAM. Any advice on cheap ECC RAM for the unit? What are you guys using?
I originally thought this was a better deal than it turned out not realizing it doesn't take RDIMMS, so I bought a 16gb ECC UDIMM from A-Tech, waiting for the weekend to replace the r210ii

jcpingu

Feb 14, 2021
I originally thought this was a better deal than it turned out not realizing it doesn't take RDIMMS, so I bought a 16gb ECC UDIMM from A-Tech, waiting for the weekend to replace the r210ii
Thank you for replying. You are right. It would have been a better deal if it took RDIMMs. I bought one too, only because it is newer technology than the R210 II. Frankly, the R210 II has served me well. I use it as a pfSense firewall.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Seller accepted $125. Also purchase a pair of 16GB memory sticks for $20ea. may have to bite the bullet to pay for rails.

ericloewe

Apr 24, 2017
I would assume its not a OEM since it has the dell branding on tab in picture, for all the OEM/appliance x40 stuff ive encountered that tab is just fully black with no print instead.
View attachment 34138
At least in the Gen 13 days, some OEM systems were just 100% standard, Dell-branded systems. Zero difference to a regular model, except that the drivers page stopped being updated a decade ago (only a slight overstatement) - but standard Gen 13 updates work fine.