Dell Poweredge R240 - Barebones w/ Xeon E-2124 - $180

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tathers

Aug 24, 2022
Not sure if actually a good deal but I snagged one to replace my r210ii

Reactions: fohdeesha and Samir

tozmo

Feb 1, 2017
Maybe use the headphones to block out the noise and use this as a desktop?

But yeah, good catch, weird to think about. Even better if it's PCI

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Maybe use the headphones to block out the noise and use this as a desktop?

But yeah, good catch, weird to think about. Even better if it's PCI
One way to do it, lol.

Yeah, that would be odd then as the last PCI slot I saw on a server was in my LGA771 ones, and those were just an available option vs standard (if I'm remembering correctly).

SnJ9MX

Jul 18, 2019
Based on the label on the front I'd guess this was used in some sort of (amateur) radio set up. Think repeater site hosting EchoLink, IRLP, APRS, etc.
which would also explain the sound card. radio output to mic in, sound out to radio "microphone". not sure the right terms but this is common in the radio world

Reactions: Samir

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Can you use i5-8500 in these? Does igpu transcoding work if you processor has igpu?

Unfortunately no and no. Outside of Xeon's the "best" CPU you can use is an Intel Core i3 9100 processor per:

For the igpu, the chipset does not support it. I went through this with Dell some time ago. I don't recall the exact reference, but it is definitely not supported. In the technical guide only the integrated Matrox G200 is listed as supported.

This is further supported here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/y5xha0
You can however add in a dedicated GPU within the standard system parameters (power draw, cooling etc.)

Reactions: chrgrose

natanbackwards

Aug 24, 2023
Unfortunately no and no. Outside of Xeon's the "best" CPU you can use is an Intel Core i3 9100 processor per:

For the igpu, the chipset does not support it. I went through this with Dell some time ago. I don't recall the exact reference, but it is definitely not supported. In the technical guide only the integrated Matrox G200 is listed as supported.

This is further supported here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/homelab/comments/y5xha0
You can however add in a dedicated GPU within the standard system parameters (power draw, cooling etc.)
Thank you.

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
I'm curious, are these OEMR dells or retail systems? I've been reading that OEMR 240s have some weird quirks and I'd like to avoid them if possible.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I would assume its not a OEM since it has the dell branding on tab in picture, for all the OEM/appliance x40 stuff ive encountered that tab is just fully black with no print instead.
1706701534487.png

Switchback028

May 18, 2018
I would assume its not a OEM since it has the dell branding on tab in picture, for all the OEM/appliance x40 stuff ive encountered that tab is just fully black with no print instead.
View attachment 34138
Huh I didn't know that, you learn more every day! Deciding if I want to get a pair of these to serve as edge routers for my colo system rework...

Sadly it appears Dell doesn't have any OEM supported 10Gb NICs for these chassis.

986box

Oct 14, 2017
Huh I didn't know that, you learn more every day! Deciding if I want to get a pair of these to serve as edge routers for my colo system rework...

Sadly it appears Dell doesn't have any OEM supported 10Gb NICs for these chassis.
Can you add a low profile mellanox Nic?

is the free basic idrac support remote power on/off?

PithyChats

Feb 3, 2015
Can you add a low profile mellanox Nic?

is the free basic idrac support remote power on/off?
I've had no problem with Connect-x 3 LP 10G adapters on these (and my experience is others should work), however Dell does have a 3rd party PCIE add in card cooling algorithm that ramps up the fans. You can adjust this as follows by SSH into the IDRAC (you may need to adjust IDRAC setting to allow SSH):

To confirm that the iDRAC detects the add-in card as a third-party card, leverage the
system.PCIeSlotLFM.x.3rdPartyCard attribute. You will need to modify "X" below with
the numerical value of your PCIe slot.

Code:
racadm>>racadm get system.PCIeSlotLFM.X.3rdPartyCard
[Key=system.Embedded.1#PCIeSlotLFM.X]
3rdPartyCard=Yes
racadm>>
If the value for this slot = yes, then you can disable the Dell EMC cooling
algorithm for that slot. You will need to modify the
sytem.PCIeSlotLFM.X.LFMMode value (X = slot numerical value - for example 3 here).

Code:
racadm>>racadm set system.PCIeSlotLFM.3.LFMMode 1
[Key=system.Embedded.1#PCIeSlotLFM.3]
Object value modified successfully
And it should now show disabled

Code:
racadm>>racadm get system.PCIeSlotLFM.3.LFMMode
[Key=system.Embedded.1#PCIeSlotLFM.3]
LFMMode=Disabled
racadm>>
As for the IDRAC, yes the basic does support remote on/off. Dell calls this power control. See here:

I would add - IDRAC licenses (Enterprise) are around $15 on E-bay. Worth it for the HTML5 remote console alone.