DEAD: HGST SSD1600MM - HUSMM1640ASS201 - 400GB US $47.95 OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
80-300TB isn't much, and 1400HRS is also not much.
Be glad it's not 20,000 Hours and 500TB :D I still run those though, they last for petabytes

Reactions: Samir and itronin

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Is there some software to do an extensive test? Does surface tests mean anything for SSDs?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Does surface tests mean anything for SSDs?
It still kinda does as it's going to stress the sectors in the same manner as it did for hard drives, but dedicated ssd tools are much better for testing ssds.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Stumbled across a listing for Sun branded drives that might be the same for $47.95 OBO, 30 available.
I submitted an offer for 8 @ $37.5 each and it was accepted, which I think is a steal if they are indeed HUSMM 400 GB drives and aren't locked down somehow.

Ebay link:
SUN 7094132 400GB SSD SAS DISK DRIVE - 7093645, HUSMM1640ASS200
Really excellent find. If I find I need to sell some of mine looks like there is a new price to beat :eek:

Thread title updated. OP updated with link to this deal and notes by @int0x2e.

Reactions: Samir and int0x2e

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm curious about this. Drive Tray picture number 2 on the seller's listing says "SATA 400GB". I'm not aware of any HGST HUSMM1600 variant that is SATA. MFG sticker on the drive has the SAS LOGO on it though. IDK.

Drive Tray - listing picture  no. 2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I'm curious about this. Drive Tray picture number 2 on the seller's listing says "SATA 400GB". I'm not aware of any HGST HUSMM1600 variant that is SATA. MFG sticker on the drive has the SAS LOGO on it though. IDK.

View attachment 13016
Based on the part # it's SAS3 and they state SAS3, so I'd believe that vs. what a tray states.

I've never run this branded one only HPE.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Tbh this is a pretty bad deal even at 35. I've gotten these for under 30 a piece on /r/homelabsales. Luckily the seller declined.

frogtech

Jan 4, 2016
Tbh this is a pretty bad deal even at 35. I've gotten these for under 30 a piece on /r/homelabsales. Luckily the seller declined.
How is it a bad deal? For SAS3, it's not bad. The only thing that's offputting is the SUN branding. It will likely not be easy or even possible to update FW on them. Not that it's a big deal but it's always a little irksome putting branded drives into different systems and getting annoying messages about unsupported configs or what have you.

Reactions: T_Minus and Samir

josh

Oct 21, 2013
How is it a bad deal? For SAS3, it's not bad. The only thing that's offputting is the SUN branding. It will likely not be easy or even possible to update FW on them. Not that it's a big deal but it's always a little irksome putting branded drives into different systems and getting annoying messages about unsupported configs or what have you.
I mean I've gotten these for under 30 a piece on /r/homelabsales. SMM1640s too and self encrypting 201s even. Just gotta be patient.

josh

Oct 21, 2013
That doesn't make this deal a "pretty bad" one. It just means that you got an even better deal. A bad deal would be 100$+ per disk. But definitely not ~$40 per disk.
My impression is if I can constantly find the same item at lower prices anything higher is a bad deal for me. Unless you desperately need these drives there's absolutely no benefit in pouncing on this sale. Besides, on this forum, most people buy out of impulse. But I'd concede different people have different opinions of value.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I mean I've gotten these for under 30 a piece on /r/homelabsales. SMM1640s too and self encrypting 201s even. Just gotta be patient.
My impression is if I can constantly find the same item at lower prices anything higher is a bad deal for me. Unless you desperately need these drives there's absolutely no benefit in pouncing on this sale. Besides, on this forum, most people buy out of impulse. But I'd concede different people have different opinions of value.
Being patient to find a deal is one thing.
Constantly finding them is another.
Being able to buy in quantity at a "deal" price is a whole other issue, not everyone wants 1, or 3 drives and will wait a month or more to buy more.

At this point I'm unsure if you're buying these 1 or 2 every couple months or if you're buying them weekly by the dozen. Either-or it's a deal to most it appears ;)

Don't get me wrong I've waited months to acquire enough of the same drive at a GREAT DEAL price so I get what you're saying, and I still think these are\were a deal at this price. Is the forum name "great deal" what's holding you up? $40 for SAS3 400GB to me is a great deal :/ though

Last edited:

josh

Oct 21, 2013
Being patient to find a deal is one thing.
Constantly finding them is another.
Being able to buy in quantity at a "deal" price is a whole other issue, not everyone wants 1, or 3 drives and will wait a month or more to buy more.

At this point I'm unsure if you're buying these 1 or 2 every couple months or if you're buying them weekly by the dozen. Either-or it's a deal to most it appears ;)

Don't get me wrong I've waited months to acquire enough of the same drive at a GREAT DEAL price so I get what you're saying, and I still think these are\were a deal at this price. Is the forum name "great deal" what's holding you up? $40 for SAS3 400GB to me is a great deal :/ though
Well here's a recent example.

[FS][USA-NH] 400GB SSD SAS Drives, 1.2TB SAS drives, 900GB SAS, 300GB 15K RPM! : homelabsales

The 1640 201s are clearly visible in the pictures. I bought 10 from the guy for 30.50 each shipped. Didn't believe they were going this cheap so only got 10 at first. He mentioned he had 100s of them so I could probably come back again after verifying they were valid.

I understand we're just arguing about semantics now so it's probably best to drop it. But just saying that these sales happen pretty much as often as these eBay deals are posted.

dontwanna

Dec 22, 2016
So, has anyone managed to get those SUN-branded HUSMM1640s to work? I've got 4 and not a single one is recognized in my usual Supermicro X9 board with 2308 IT-flashed controller. I don't buy disks often so I might be missing something here. As far as I remember, even disks formatted to 520/528B would still be recognized by the controller - they just wouldn't show up in most operating systems (until they're formatted to 512B). But mine are not even detected by the controller, and sg_scan -i in CentOS doesn't show any of them either. :( It's quite unlikely that I'd get 4 out 4 DOA, so it's probably some incompatibility issue?