CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
That was it! thank you!

In case anyone wants to know... Crucial 32G ddr5 (CT32G48C40S5) works. As suggested above just give it a few for first boot after installing the memory.

BTW - I got 2 from CWWK on amazon and they have been very responsive and helpful. They were even going to post a custom link for me to buy memory direct from them. Plus I got my 2 units in 5 days! Sent them via DHL. They seem to have some process to clear customs while the product was en-route. My shipment never even got the typical hold at a depo for customs paperwork.
Did you just need to clear the CMOS to get it to then POST?

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
No ram installed it beeps a different pattern - think it was repeating (I powered it down after confirming different sequence). It does get warm when left on. No HDMI or anything connected, assume everyone else just gets one post beep even with no monitors plugged in.
Ok. So the beep pattern is the same, it just repeats. When the RAM is in place, it starts, 1 long, 3 short then sits getting warm

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
I tried removing the CMOS battery as well as the reset button - still no luck.. I've ordered some KF556S40IB-16 Kingston Fury Impact. Not sure if my memory was faulty or if the machine is being picky. Will let you all know tomorrow hopefully.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Ok. So the beep pattern is the same, it just repeats. When the RAM is in place, it starts, 1 long, 3 short then sits getting warm
Sounds to me like it is running. You just might have no video signal. Mine onky works with a display port monitor, but otherwise runs fine.

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
Sounds to me like it is running. You just might have no video signal. Mine onky works with a display port monitor, but otherwise runs fine.
Well, I've tried the USB C and the HDMI ports. None of them work. Also the beep codes for AMI I found online list the following:

1 long, 3 shortMemory test failureA fault has been detected in memory above 64KB

Reactions: Stovar

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
Well, I've tried the USB C and the HDMI ports. None of them work. Also the beep codes for AMI I found online list the following:

1 long, 3 shortMemory test failureA fault has been detected in memory above 64KB
In addition, USB keyboard num lock does nothing when it is on. Would have thought that could have been toggled okay following POST

iball

Dec 6, 2023
One thing I've noticed in this thread is that it seems the folks with either an N100 model and/or the 4x M.2 drive model/card are having the most issues whereas those of us running the 4-port CWWK N305 with just a single NVME drive & Crucial 32GB RAM aren't having many - if any - issues.
Just an observation, nothing more.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
One thing I've noticed in this thread is that it seems the folks with either an N100 model and/or the 4x M.2 drive model/card are having the most issues whereas those of us running the 4-port CWWK N305 with just a single NVME drive & Crucial 32GB RAM aren't having many - if any - issues.
Just an observation, nothing more.
Without knowing how many bought a N100 vs N305, and how many ppl are active here in the thread, I wouldn't be sure about this. Maybe a lot of people went down the N100 road, because it already offers enough CPU power for most jobs, and avoided the N305 because of higher power consumption and possible heat managaement issues.

My N100, the first which appeared here in the forum, is running fine, no matter if I use 16GB or 32GB. All I don't have is the 4x NVME adapter.

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
It starts completely fine after memory training with the Kingston Fury Impact 16GB. I'm not sure if the memory is faulty or if the 6L version / my board just doesn't like it.

askewpiste

Jan 4, 2024
So with N100 6LAN version, Kingston KF556S40IB-16 works. Currently running memtest, ram sitting at 49C. Unfortunately I do not have anything else to test the Crucial 32GB in before I think about returning it.

void.devel

Dec 26, 2023
I'm still having problems with my CWWK N305 6-port version (original post here).

It seems that connecting an ethernet cable to any of the 6 ports is the main problem ... Yesterday I left the device running memtest without an ethernet cable connected and its now on its 4th pass without any errors. Only other thing that changed was the room temperature, it was a bit lower than previous days (probably around 5c/41f during the night). I've tried all 6 ports the past few days, memtest reliably returns errors each time.

Maybe I'll try Kingston KF556S40IB-16 that seemed to work for askewpiste but its 70 euros and I really need 32gb anyway.

I don't think its a RAM issue anymore but I don't know what else to try at this point ...

Tzvia

Sep 5, 2022
I'm still having problems with my CWWK N305 6-port version (original post here).

It seems that connecting an ethernet cable to any of the 6 ports is the main problem ... Yesterday I left the device running memtest without an ethernet cable connected and its now on its 4th pass without any errors. Only other thing that changed was the room temperature, it was a bit lower than previous days (probably around 5c/41f during the night). I've tried all 6 ports the past few days, memtest reliably returns errors each time.

Maybe I'll try Kingston KF556S40IB-16 that seemed to work for askewpiste but its 70 euros and I really need 32gb anyway.

I don't think its a RAM issue anymore but I don't know what else to try at this point ...
I have the Pentium 8505 version, came with the same power supply. Had a bad feeling about it- 12v 5a...so bought a 12v 8a (max). I also found that it ran a bit hotter than I would like, the CPU idling around 38c and jumping into the mid~upper 40s, just seemed high. Both PSUs also ran really HOT. I don't have a way to check power draw but just from the temperatures it didn't seem right.

There is a thread on this 6 port version here, so I hunkered down and read through it and found that forum member 'fta' had made a modded bios for it that exposes all the settings for things like C states to lower temps. Others also chimed in there about what to set to get it to properly work with Intel SpeetShift, lowering the voltage to the CPU and raising it as needed when the CPU ramped up under load. I took a chance with that BIOS and followed the suggestions for the settings and it now idles in the mid to upper 20s c, ramps into the mid~upper 30s under load. But the kicker for me is the new PSU... it is at worst lukewarm, it was HOT to the touch before.

I don't get why these bios settings were 'locked away' by CWWK, makes no sense... Then they provided only a 5a power supply, just doesn't seem to be enough. Perhaps plugging in ethernet, using more power on top of the power draw of memtest, is too much for that 5a PSU? Now I don't know if your model with the N305 is compatible with the modded bios in that other thread, but there is good information there in any event, if you haven't see it (CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report). Good read whether you can or cannot (or don't want to) use that bios. But yea if you haven't tried another PSU more in the 8a area I would give that a go.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
I have the CWWK N100 version with 4 ports. I'm passing my 2.5Gbit NICs through to a Proxmox VM running OPNsense. I've developed a problem where the passed-through ports don't work properly after 48 hours or so. Always happens at a low-traffic time at night. Rebooting the OPNsense VM doesn't fix the problem; the host has to be rebooted too. I'm using a usb-dongle to provide the proxmox host ethernet, and that is always up and online.

I've reached out to CWWK to see if there is a later bios revision, but they sent the bios revision I already have. This problem seemed to develop sometime after upgrading to Proxmox 8.1. Just throwing this out there for anyone who might have any insight or observed something related.

TheStolp

Jan 14, 2024
I have the CWWK N100 version with 4 ports. I'm passing my 2.5Gbit NICs through to a Proxmox VM running OPNsense. I've developed a problem where the passed-through ports don't work properly after 48 hours or so. Always happens at a low-traffic time at night. Rebooting the OPNsense VM doesn't fix the problem; the host has to be rebooted too. I'm using a usb-dongle to provide the proxmox host ethernet, and that is always up and online.

I've reached out to CWWK to see if there is a later bios revision, but they sent the bios revision I already have. This problem seemed to develop sometime after upgrading to Proxmox 8.1. Just throwing this out there for anyone who might have any insight or observed something related.
I have the same device and a very similar setup (using PFSense instead of OpenSense). I started out on Proxmox 8.1 and was also experiencing hickups like yours, yet only twice in the last three weeks. Still, this is an issue I would desperately like to see resolved.

Reactions: cmmh

Don Dong

Jan 5, 2024
The bios was the kicker for me to get it to work. Can you show what bios you have.
I currently have BIOS Version 2.22.1288 build on 11/08/2023, this ist the one cwwk provided with their first response to my issue. Unfortunetly their support didnt answer again during the Last 5 days.

With m2 drives are you running? I thought it might me the capacity of 2tb i am tried to use.

RubberChicken

Dec 6, 2023
I currently have BIOS Version 2.22.1288 build on 11/08/2023, this ist the one cwwk provided with their first response to my issue. Unfortunetly their support didnt answer again during the Last 5 days.

With m2 drives are you running? I thought it might me the capacity of 2tb i am tried to use.
I have 5 x 4TB NVME Drives Working fine under BIOS Version 2.22.1288

The only issue I have is high temperatures, even after re-pasting and adding an 80MM Noctua Fan drives now sit at 65-70C when idle.

Have you set the PCI Express Slot Selection from M2 to CEMx4 ?

Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> PCI Express Configuration -> PCI Express Slot Selection

Don Dong

Jan 5, 2024
I have 5 x 4TB NVME Drives Working fine under BIOS Version 2.22.1288

The only issue I have is high temperatures, even after re-pasting and adding an 80MM Noctua Fan drives now sit at 65-70C when idle.

Have you set the PCI Express Slot Selection from M2 to CEMx4 ?

Chipset -> System Agent (SA) Configuration -> PCI Express Configuration -> PCI Express Slot Selection
Thank for this tipp, but i already tried that as well. I have one 2TB Drive in the Wifi Slot which is recognized, but on the adapter board itself it only recognizes two additional drives not three or four. At this time i think the adapter board itself might be kind of broken...