CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Has anyone tried to drill small holes into the upper part of the case? With several ones you could generate a better air flow instead of using a fan alone.

Matt84

Jun 2, 2016
I'm considering buying the 6 port version of this. Who is better/safer to purchase from via AliExpress? Topton or CWWK? Which one is more likely to have issues with the CPU heatsink gap, or are they both the same risk? I was considering the 10g SFP+ one but after Patrick and another member reported crashes in Geekbench 6 and Proxmox it has scared me off.

There are two CWWK stores on AliExpress. Which one is the legit one?

One is CWWK Store and the other is CWWK Store.

Topton I'm guessing Topton Official is the legit one

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
I'm considering buying the 6 port version of this. Who is better/safer to purchase from via AliExpress? Topton or CWWK?
Do NOT ever buy at Topton and KingNovy and their name variants. Pure shit, only sales driven. You agree one something with them, they will not act accordingly. After they sold the item they will go silent.
Some time ago I had a broken J4125 for about 200$ (broken PSU, broken m.2 port, not taking most ram), they offered me a 30$ refund. With the help of Ali I could send it back, ali said they will pay the shipping, they never paid. They said I should lie about the content and the value of the of the consignment (they wont do it themself).
Have a lock at the Jasper Lake thread, there are enough examples. I will never buy again there.

(sorry for the rant!)

Get your device from cwwk.net or cwwk shop on Aliexpress if you prefer.

Reactions: gordinho and Stovar

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
Do NOT ever buy at Topton and KingNovy and their name variants. Pure shit, only sales driven. You agree one something with them, they will not act accordingly. After they sold the item they will go silent.
Some time ago I had a broken J4125 for about 200$ (broken PSU, broken m.2 port, not taking most ram), they offered me a 30$ refund. With the help of Ali I could send it back, ali said they will pay the shipping, they never paid. They said I should lie about the content and the value of the of the consignment (they wont do it themself).
Have a lock at the Jasper Lake thread, there are enough examples. I will never buy again there.

(sorry for the rant!)

Get your device from cwwk.net or cwwk shop on Aliexpress if you prefer.
Have to agree. I bought a N6005 box from Topton last year. They kept sending me fake tracking numbers so they could mark the order shipped. I didnt get a real tracking number for almost two weeks after it "shipped" (and multiple chats through AliExpress).

I have bought two devices from CWWK since then. Both times they were shipped and received fairly quickly in the US. No hassles at all, good packing, and they both worked just fine. Granted I have not had to deal with their support, and cant comment on it, but I would suggest CWWK over the others anyday.

Reactions: gordinho and Stovar

mattmonkey24

Sep 7, 2023
I'm considering buying the 6 port version of this. Who is better/safer to purchase from via AliExpress? Topton or CWWK? Which one is more likely to have issues with the CPU heatsink gap, or are they both the same risk? I was considering the 10g SFP+ one but after Patrick and another member reported crashes in Geekbench 6 and Proxmox it has scared me off.

I'd heard about this with Topton, but when checking the business license on AliExpress all three stores were registered to the same license and address.
I just checked again these three:
Topton Computer Store, Store No.2546008, open 6 years
Topton PC Store, Store No.911768325, open 2 years
Topton Official Store, Store No.5122038, open 4 years

Maybe these licenses are often faked but I doubt it. And this is not the case with the two linked CWWK stores, the licenses have slightly different addresses.

Judging by the license, my guess is this is the real one. Because of the business name in the license.
CWWK Store, open since Mar 18,2022, Store No.1100297248.

You can find this info by hovering the name of the store:
1694128052276.png

I could be wrong, someone else can chime in with more

mattmonkey24

Sep 7, 2023
I got the cheapest "topton" variant. It is what it is, cheap. The cooling is really bad, the case heats up with load to temperatures that can burn your skin. Since the case that acts as a cooler has so high temperature, its impossible to cool down the internal components: the ddr5 module and the nvme ssd. They are basically enclosed in a ~60-65 celsius oven. The bios is also quite bad. A lot of things are missing that are available in changwang (cwwk) variants. The only positive things about it are: it's cheap, and there is console port redirect available (testing is pending until i get my console cable).
Box is named G30W-N100, has N100, 4x i226, 1x rj45 console, 1x2280, 1x 3052? m2 and one more whatever slot.
It also has slots for sim cards, though it's funny who thought lte/5g modem would work with insane power and heat output inside the case lol. The board manufacturer probably never intended to sell this as "passive" inside that enclosure, as there's smart fan control exposed in bios and theres a 4pin header too.
Though it does not have any hdmi bugs, at least i had no problem with hdmi. Bios date 31/07/2023
I'll link a high res image of it: https://i.ibb.co/XXsNp53/PXL-20230904-082449566.jpg
I did the same and finally received mine last night. Took two weeks (Aug 23 to Sep 6), but with ordering at night and then labor day I think it could have been a little faster with better timing.

Mine has the same code, G30W-N100, but ordered through KingNovy (store no 912494596). After stacking coupons and discounts it was $107. I couldn't find the better case version for cheaper than $180-$190 after discounts, but most listings were more expensive. CWWK around $215 and Amazon $250+. The price was so much cheaper I figured I could look past shortcomings.

Here's the link to the product page.
Their picture doesn't quite match what mine looks like:
12th-Gen-Intel-Firewall-Soft-Router-N100-N5105-4x-2-5G-i226-i225-LAN-Industrial-Computer.jpg
G30W-N100 ports.jpg

Here's what lsusb -t shows:
/: Bus 04.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/4p, 10000M
/: Bus 03.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/12p, 480M
/: Bus 02.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/2p, 20000M/x2
/: Bus 01.Port 1: Dev 1, Class=root_hub, Driver=xhci_hcd/1p, 480M

I think this lines up with the sim card slots being Bus 04.Port 1. And each bus has two USB ports. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here, or if they have an easy way to check?

I agree it runs hot. Memtest peaked at 82C on the memory. Just idiling in Proxmox I'm seeing about 42C on the CPU, though I haven't worked on optimizing it yet. I'm seeing the same BIOS date, BIOS ver BK-1264NP Ver 1.2

Mirroring the console redirect options with no testing, please keep us posted!
And I'm curious what BIOS options you're seeing missing?

And my internals looked the same as yours, devast. It looks like two m.2 ports and a third port I don't recognize. Maybe for an expansion board like Patrick showed in one of the youtube videos. I expect it's only one m.2 slot, if anyone has a way to check the PCI width for those I'd love to check.

I'm still looking at optimizing it with the tips in this thread and then checking the temps again. I won't be able to check power draw unfortunately unless I buy a meter.
I'm planning a fan strapped onto it and a memory heat spreader. And eventually an m.2 drive, currently I'm using the included SATA cable.

Paulbhyo

Nov 21, 2022

I just bought this one last week.. its already here, 4 days shipping. they used DHL and it was amazing.

Reactions: Stovar

devast

Jun 28, 2023
And I'm curious what BIOS options you're seeing missing?
Look at page 2 of this thread. I'm specifically missing power control features, as i cannot change PL1 or PL2, it's fixed 6w and 25w. Also i'm missing PCIE ASPM controls, as it seems like it's entirely disabled by the bios without an option to enable it. Both could be used to tune lower power consumption.

It looks like two m.2 ports and a third port I don't recognize.
The takeaway is that you can only fit: #1 one 2280 nvme ssd, #2 one 3052 lte/5g modem, and #3 one mini pcie watever. nvme ssd will not fit into slot #2.

I'm planning a fan strapped onto it and a memory heat spreader. And eventually an m.2 drive, currently I'm using the included SATA cable.
With a fan, it will have no problem at all. However, i'm planning on using it passive. Also i'm booting from usb microsd reader, since i'm running openwrt baremetal. So no ssd heat source. Though i already ordered additional heatsinks for the memory, and additional heatsinks for the case. I'll tape some onto the sides. We'll see, it will take a couple of weeks for the parts to arrive.

Matt84

Jun 2, 2016
I messaged both CWWK Store and CWWK PC Store and both replied that they were in fact on and the same company. I was expecting one to say the other was fake, but didn't happen.

devast

Jun 28, 2023
I messaged both CWWK Store and CWWK PC Store and both replied that they were in fact on and the same company. I was expecting one to say the other was fake, but didn't happen.
Some sellers have like 10 stores. They provide you the illusion of choice. But in the end, they are just doing it to have a higher chance of a sale. From your point it might seem counter intuitive, but it's chinese logic. You can't really understand it.

minimos

Aug 23, 2023
Look at page 2 of this thread. I'm specifically missing power control features, as i cannot change PL1 or PL2, it's fixed 6w and 25w. Also i'm missing PCIE ASPM controls, as it seems like it's entirely disabled by the bios without an option to enable it. Both could be used to tune lower power consumption.
Hi,

I have the same issue with my Kingnovy device (type C 5 port variant), however there is a workaround as per @Becks0815 commands he posted earlier in the thread.

I tweak the PL1 and PL2 settings for my setup, monitor them and then wrote a bash script so that they are applied on boot with Proxmox. I am not sure if you can find an alternative for a bare metal OPNsense of PFSense option.

The main challenge can be NVME/mainboard which is where I see the most heat retention although they are not alarming.

After tuning the PL1/PL2 settings my CPU maxes out at 40C (no re paste done thus far) with the power saving governor applied in proxmox in a 26C ambient temperature room with limited airflow, but is usually in the 33 - 35C range which is really good.

My NVME tops out at 56.9 which although not alarming is a little too hot for me (even with heat sink), normally in the range 47 to 54 when there is not intense IO activity like rebooting VM's etc. I know there is a heatsink block separate to the CPU, but this looks to have been attached with one of those adhesive thermal transfer pads which are wider than the heatsink which In think is contributing to heat retention in this area, if I still feel uncomfortable with these temps I'll look to modify the heat sink thermal paste arrnagement

All these number are based on a couple of VM's spun up on the host and OPNsense managing the network side of things, I am sure these temps would be higher doing a stress test.

Minimos

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
That's the same BIOS version as mine, think I will try clearing the BIOS and see if that helps

I haven't had any issues adding drives in the past, I haven't had to do anything extra. Looking through the how to, the drive doesn't show using the lsblk command, so fails at that point.
@shanestorey did you ever figure this one out. I have the same issue in the installer and cant do a mirrored zfs setup because of that. When doing a raid0 one-disk install I am able to see the drive via lsblk in the system. Apparently it is just the installer iso where the second drive does not show up for me

EDIT: for future reference: I figured it out. Setting the relatives PCIe Ports to ASPM „auto“ was the reason for me. Installation went fine when ASPM was disabled. Will check later if turning it on post install works or creates errors / doesn’t boot

Last edited:
Reactions: SiVisPacem

moonman

Aug 12, 2023
My NVME tops out at 56.9 which although not alarming is a little too hot for me (even with heat sink), normally in the range 47 to 54 when there is not intense IO activity like rebooting VM's etc. I know there is a heatsink block separate to the CPU, but this looks to have been attached with one of those adhesive thermal transfer pads which are wider than the heatsink which In think is contributing to heat retention in this area, if I still feel uncomfortable with these temps I'll look to modify the heat sink thermal paste arrnagement
Nothing to worry about. NVMe drives have a built in mechanism to stay cooler than their max designed temperatures by throttling the speed. Usually it's around 80 C. 57 C is nothing.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
just ordered an x86-p5 (the 2 port) directly from cwwk, n100 with 8gb variant.. let's see when it arrives.

does anyone already tested it here? i did not find any post mentioning this version.

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
just ordered an x86-p5 (the 2 port) directly from cwwk, n100 with 8gb variant.. let's see when it arrives.

does anyone already tested it here? i did not find any post mentioning this version.
Interested in this also. I have the P2 (J4124), running great so far but a bit weak. Do you know how much they charge for the usb port front pannel?

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Interested in this also. I have the P2 (J4124), running great so far but a bit weak. Do you know how much they charge for the usb port front pannel?
no sorry, i know it's possible to have that addon but i choose the p5 for the clean look also, it will be a wall mounted bare metal firewall with the port facing down so i like the idea to have the other sides clean.

i will probably add a fan also, like i did with the current one 3d printing the bottom cover.