CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Top fan (80x80x10, USB) including cover seems to be included. Keep us updated what you get and how it works!
nah, will do something internal with the same 80x10 i already have, i cannot let a fan stick outside of the case but i will let you now how it behaves :)

Reactions: Mike9474593

minimos

Aug 23, 2023
Nothing to worry about. NVMe drives have a built in mechanism to stay cooler than their max designed temperatures by throttling the speed. Usually it's around 80 C. 57 C is nothing.
That's good info to have, I'm always of the opinion though that the cooler you keep electronics the longer they tend to last.

Interesting observation on my device from looking at the MB, there does not appear to be a fan header.

There are 2 SATA pwr connectors on the board, is it possible to maybe power a 80x80x10 fan on these should I want to add some active cooling?

I think SATA is 5V as a standard and most fans are 12V, not to mention the fact that I can't seem to figure our what type of connector they are allthough there are 4 pins on it. The picture posted on Amazon sees to suggest a fan can be connected but they don't appear to be using the SATA pwr ports (but the pic gives you a good idea of what the connector types look like). PS My board physically looks like the one show.

1694281465313.png

alexw1982

May 20, 2015
Germany
That's good info to have, I'm always of the opinion though that the cooler you keep electronics the longer they tend to last.

Interesting observation on my device from looking at the MB, there does not appear to be a fan header.

There are 2 SATA pwr connectors on the board, is it possible to maybe power a 80x80x10 fan on these should I want to add some active cooling?

I think SATA is 5V as a standard and most fans are 12V, not to mention the fact that I can't seem to figure our what type of connector they are allthough there are 4 pins on it. The picture posted on Amazon sees to suggest a fan can be connected but they don't appear to be using the SATA pwr ports (but the pic gives you a good idea of what the connector types look like). PS My board physically looks like the one show.

View attachment 31472
The fan connector is on the other side of the board and is accessible when you remove the side panel. See some posts earlier - somebody made pictures of it …

minimos

Aug 23, 2023
The fan connector is on the other side of the board and is accessible when you remove the side panel. See some posts earlier - somebody made pictures of it …
Thank you.

Gone back on the posts and it seems to be a Dupont 1.25 4 pin female port.

It also looks like finding a cable to standard fan is almost impossible. Are these ports the same as used on GPU's? They look similar but I think they may be different

domi1kenobi

Sep 9, 2023
I got the N100 4 port smaller case (the one everyone says not to get) with no RAM/storage. Popped in 32GB DDR5 which it has no issues with. Running proxmox 8 smoothly.

CPU temps were initually high and erratic (like jumping up to 80-90c quickly under load). Came with coupius amounts of thermal paste, probably to bridge the small gap between the CPU die and the metal shim. My metal shim isnt actually screwed down, its just loose and held in place by a small indent in the case and the thermal paste. Filed down the standoffs until i couldn't see a gap and reapplied a sane amount of thermal paste. Now hovers around 60-65c under sustained load (10mins of stress command) and around 35c idle.

Overall its a bit janky but actually very happy with it overall. Runs silent, doesnt get too hot (after repaste), low power, pretty cheap and powerful enough for my home server purposes. Pretty good deal if you're lucky enough not to have to deal with the chinese customer support.
I also bought the smaller unit but from HUNSN and they have the greatest support I've ever encountered.

dza

Sep 10, 2023
@Becks0815
I didn't see all the opnsense tunables you mentioned in my tunables page in opnsense. Did you add some of these yourself? I did not see hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest, hw.igc.rx_process_limit, hw.igc.eee_setting, dev.igc.0.fc. Also, why disable the SPECTRE mitigation? Does it really have a performance impact?

@athurdent I also have a HUNSN but 4x with no usb-c or USB-3 ports. I really wish they'd start posting these on their website, I could not find these N100 on their website I'll try to contact them there..

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
@Becks0815
I didn't see all the opnsense tunables you mentioned in my tunables page in opnsense. Did you add some of these yourself? I did not see hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest, hw.igc.rx_process_limit, hw.igc.eee_setting, dev.igc.0.fc. Also, why disable the SPECTRE mitigation? Does it really have a performance impact?
The tunables which are not initially visible in opnsense can/should/must be added using the + button (upper right in the tunable window), and yes, they have an influence. Spectre and other migations take away up to 10% of the CPU power if I remember correctly.

tvial

Sep 9, 2023
Is there a 4 ports fanless server with:

1/ Intel i3-n300 (to have 8 cores but only 7w TDP compared to 15W on N305)
I want to run VMs and containers which do not need high CPU power.
Having more cores seems better on an hypervisor.

2/ A height lower than 44mm to fit a 1U rack
CWWK/Topton are sadly bigger.
Only I found are Protecli (but too expensive), or this one which is 40mm, but both can take an additional sata 3 SSD (good addition)

That would be perfect for me.
Currently running 2 mac mini (2011) with i5, but they are a bit old and only have 1 ethernet port.

Last edited:

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
just ordered an x86-p5 (the 2 port) directly from cwwk, n100 with 8gb variant.. let's see when it arrives.

does anyone already tested it here? i did not find any post mentioning this version.
to quote myself cwwk just notified me that the order has been shipped, lets see when it will show up from CN to EU.

devast

Jun 28, 2023
Intel i3-n300 (to have 8 cores but only 7w TDP compared to 15W on N305)
The TDP is configurable in most bioses. So any n305 could be restricted to 7w. There are no n300 options, and due to this, probably won't happen.
N305 is essentially the same as an N300, with a different default tdp limit.

2/ A height lower than 44mm to fit a 1U rack
Usually passive + rackmount doesn't really work well together. Usually rackmount stuff does not care about noise.

Still, i *think* gowin is maybe making something what you want, try googling around "gowin 1u" . They are not ready yet, but it will be cool probably.

Reactions: Stovar

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Is there a 4 ports fanless server with:

1/ Intel i3-n300 (to have 8 cores but only 7w TDP compared to 15W on N305)
I want to run VMs and containers which do not need high CPU power.
Having more cores seems better on an hypervisor.
Why?

proxmox.png

Highest CPU usage I have seen so far with Opnsense (without any fancy Zenarmor,... running) was 20%, and I have set the PL-values to 25W/6W - so there is still room in setting higher values here. The 20% were hit while pushing 200 mbit/sec in both directions to many different machines.

As you ca see, I also run several other lxc containers, and they consume 0-0.1% CPU power. I am sure the first limit I will hit is 16GB RAM usage, or if I add some more space consuming ones, the SSD. In both cases I will just try to upgrade RAM/SSD space.

Another option would be to check the Asus N100 mini-ITX boards. Pretty cheap, at around 110 Euros, and maybe better fitting in a 1U rack.

devast

Jun 28, 2023
Thanks @devast, good to know. But are you sure limiting the bios TDP will have the same effect?
Looking at Intel specs, N305 can be lowered down to 9W, and this is the only difference I can spot.
Yes, you're right. So it can be lowered to ~9w instead of 7w. Thats all the difference. Still, even if that 2W matters for you, i haven't seen a single N300 anywhere, so you'll have to make do with the N305.

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Thanks @devast, good to know. But are you sure limiting the bios TDP will have the same effect?
Looking at Geekbench, N300 goes down to 800Mhz while N305 starts at 1.8Ghz.
I'm not sure how relevant it is, but was wondering if it could have an impact on heat and power consumption.

Looking at Intel specs, N305 can be lowered down to 9W, and this is the only difference I can spot.
Compare Products
Guess you don't understand the concepts of modern CPUs. New(er) CPUs can change their frequency, e.g. lower it if they are not really used, and at some point they switch one or more cores to power saving modes (C-states). It doesn't really matter if this happens at 800 MHz or 1.8 GHz.

The (lowest) CPU frequency also is not really relevant. A CPU running at 2 GHz vs the same CPU running at 1 GHz might consume more power, but does the same job twice as fast. The only relevant info (which is unknown) is: how much energy is consumed per calculation cycle. A newer CPU is typically more energy efficient than an older one. A N305 rated at 9W TDP does the job more efficient than a J3160 (rated 6W TDP) and consumes less power doing the same job like the older one.

If you still want to save energy, just set low PL-values in the BIOS and check if the machine still is capable of doing its job.

minimos

Aug 23, 2023
Thank you.

Gone back on the posts and it seems to be a Dupont 1.25 4 pin female port.

It also looks like finding a cable to standard fan is almost impossible. Are these ports the same as used on GPU's? They look similar but I think they may be different
So been doing a bit of research on cable, the standards seem a bit of a mess.

From what I can deduce and Dupont 1.25 is the same as a JST 1.25 connector, this time with the JST indicating the manufacturer rather than the father of the port (happy to be proved wrong on this front by more knowledgeable people)

The number indicates the size, and it looks like my question above is a negative as a GPU fan connector is actually a PH 2.0 type, so slight bigger (the connectors themselves look similar).

I think standard fan connectors are XH 2.54 types

I can't find any cables with JST 1.25 to XH 2.54, but I can find JST 1.25 with wire and no lead on the other end so it might be a make your own cable job, not that I have ever done that before so could be a learning curve.

I've reach out to Kingnovy support to see if they can supply me with a lead, shame they did not include in the box like they did for the SATA cable and VESA mount

Becks0815

Oct 15, 2022
Yes, you're right. So it can be lowered to ~9w instead of 7w. Thats all the difference. Still, even if that 2W matters for you, i haven't seen a single N300 anywhere, so you'll have to make do with the N305.
You also don't understand TDP = Thermal design power. It is just a value indicating how much power a CPU can consume in the long run without overheating, and also is a sign for the type of required cooling of the whole machine. 6W is in the range which can be cooled in a passive way.

But:
This value shows zero information about how much your system will actually consume. This depends on the CPU calculation speed, how much energy it consumes per watt, and how much load you generate while it is running.

You don't believe it? Here is the info about the CPU in my main PC. Rated 105W TDP, running at 11.9W at the moment I took the screen shot - way below the 105W. Still I need a good cooling system for this kind of CPU.
amd.png

weker01

Sep 11, 2023
Hey @minimos and @edmonds,

I'm also considering buying the 5-port variant from Amazon, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of USB 3.0. Could you find out if the USB C port works at USB3 speeds?

minimos

Aug 23, 2023
Hey @minimos and @edmonds,

I'm also considering buying the 5-port variant from Amazon, but I'm a little concerned about the lack of USB 3.0. Could you find out if the USB C port works at USB3 speeds?
Hi,

Unfortunately I don't have a storage device or network adapter to test, but there are thunderbolt settings in the BIOS. What I do know is that the type c does not do Alt DP for displays as I can't get an output on my monitor using that port so have to use Display Port to setup (have issues with HDMI like some other users do with different brands).

It does show a USB 3.0 hub in the system but I think a few pages back someone posted for the 4 port variant that they are USB2 and non are setup to use USB3

Output of lsusb

1694449520478.png

Maybe @edmonds has a device to test with?

Reactions: weker01