CWWK/Topton/... Nxxx quad NIC router

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
Are you running the 6.2 kernel? I'm running a 12th gen cpu (i5 1235u), and gpu passthrough works great in proxmox.
That would be a no, then. You need to explicitly install the 6.2 kernel.
I can confirm that the CPU is working with the most recent 6.3(.6) mainline kernels, but also with the 5.15 LTS kernels. Well, on bare-metal at least.

Last edited:

RevAngel

May 21, 2023
@rickybobby You have the same BIOS than my PC.

Do you have display problems? (Looks like your legacy modes are working)

Do you use HDMI or DisplayPort? What Monitor make and type are you using? Thank you very much for answering!

lucker

May 28, 2023
I have two NVME 500Gb running as ZFS mirror.
Thank you for sharing, this is exactly what I plan to do. Could you please tell which board have you ordered? The one with 4 x SSD slots?
Have you by any chance installed a WiFi module as well? It shouldn't affect the SSDs, but...

AnthonyUK

May 9, 2023
Thank you for sharing, this is exactly what I plan to do. Could you please tell which board have you ordered? The one with 4 x SSD slots?
Have you by any chance installed a WiFi module as well? It shouldn't affect the SSDs, but...
I bought it from someone on here and it just happened to come with the ‘H’ adapter mentioned in the STH article on these devices.
I use Unifi so no interest in internal cards unfortunately.

Reactions: lucker

flips33

Apr 20, 2023
Variation A at least comes with the adapter to convert wifi m.2 to full size 2280 m.2. So out of the box you get two normal m.2 2280 sockets

Topton did advise that they have 4 x m.2 adapter available but didnt offer a price. CWWK advised that they didnt have the 4x adapter in stock yet. Topton could be telling lies about stock as they took a month to even ship my N200 unit

I also went with 2 x 500GB, Samsung 980 as ZFS mirror. No point with fast ssd in this config as one of them will run at pcie 3.0 1x speed. The 980 500Gb runs fairly cool compared to faster models and is available very cheap at the moment, at least in Australia. It also has reasonable 300TBW rating.

Last edited:

lucker

May 28, 2023
Variation A at least comes with the adapter to convert wifi m.2 to full size 2280 m.2. So out of the box you get two normal m.2 2280 sockets

Topton did advise that they have 4 x m.2 adapter available but didnt offer a price. CWWK advised that they didnt have the 4x adapter in stock yet. Topton could be telling lies about stock as they took a month to even ship my N200 unit
Thank you for the details, appreciate that. As I learn from this forum and this thread in particular, it's not a good idea to order from Topton due to misinformation from their side about stock and blatant unrealistic info regarding shipment and tech details. Sorry to hear you learned this hard way.

I do not need a 4 x SSD, I'm just not sure if the H PCB @AnthonyUK mentioned allows me to install 2 x SSD and a WiFi module. I'm also not sure if this advertised H PCB has NVMe or mSATA connector (they advertise mSATA).
Screenshot 2023-06-10 09.30.41.png

The nice guy from CWWK store on aliexpress went silent after his promise to share the test results about a week ago and doesn't answer to my follow up questions.

I also went with 2 x 500GB, Samsung 980 as ZFS mirror. No point with fast ssd in this config as one of them will run at pcie 3.0 1x speed. The 980 500Gb runs fairly cool compared to faster models and is available very cheap at the moment, at least in Australia. It also has reasonable 300TBW rating.
Year, I came to the same conclusion. Do not really need a fast SSD for my purpose and 300TBW is a fair tradeoff. I had considered to go with 2 x 1TB with 600TBW but decided not to since I utilize no more than 200GB in a foreseeable future. Then either I will need to upgrade or my use case may change. And you also right about lower temperature of the not-so-fast SSDs, that is a good point. Thanks again, I am really glad I have found this forum!

Last edited:

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Anybody already got the 5-Port edition? eg this, this or this.
Not (yet?) available at CWWK Store or CWWK PC Store. Board layout seems a bit different, primary NVME port is only PCI3.0 1x (somewhere you need to get the lanes for the 5th network port), but it has USB C (speed unknown) and SATA. No adapter board for the second m.2 port needed and the serial header seems to be missing. There are probably more differences.

Reactions: Stovar and lucker

nva

Aug 19, 2018
I'd love to see these chips in conventional form of m-ITX with small active cooler and expansion slot.

And by the way why these E cores outperform Atom C5000 series despite much lower TDP?

Reactions: SDLeary

lucker

May 28, 2023
SATA. No adapter board for the second m.2 port needed
It is very interesting! Thank you for pointing that out.
Two standard SATA ports and two on-board NVMe, even if they are x1, made my choice. Seems like there is only N100 model available on ali. I going to place an order at CWWK as soon as it is available :cool:

Edit: I noticed that the search results page on aliexpress indicates for all listed 5-port edition offerings a smal sign "soon". On the flypages there is no indication that the device in question "will be available soon". I suppose CWWK or another vendor issued a press release (or whatever means they use to market the new edition) and the stores have started making hype. Quite possible that the device has not even been built.

Last edited:

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Edit: I noticed that the search results page on aliexpress indicates for all listed 5-port edition offerings a smal sign "soon". On the flypages there is no indication that the device in question "will be available soon". I suppose CWWK or another vendor issued a press release (or whatever means they use to market the new edition) and the stores have started making hype. Quite possible that the device has not even been built.
Where do you see this sign? I don't see it, I'm probably blind (or my addblocker or a different language setting might be the problem).
But this would explain why this version is not available in the cwwk Store. There are no news on changwangs website, so maybe there was some internal announcement for resellers and they are a bit too zealous.

Last edited:

lucker

May 28, 2023
Where do you see this sign?
There are only 13 offers listed at the moment, all marked with this "soon" word. My take on this is that aliexpress has some mandatory field for the devices that are new / not in stock and marks them accordingly. Though the sellers (probably not all, didn't check) do not place any such a notice on a device page.

Screenshot 2023-06-11 11.14.39.png

Reactions: Mike9474593

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
There are only 13 offers listed at the moment, all marked with this "soon" word.
No soon here, neither with Firefox nor with Edge. I have about 4-8 offers, depending on the search terms. Well, probably some Ali issues, different country, different offers and different features....

Screenshot 2023-06-11 104205.png

lucker

May 28, 2023
No soon here, neither with Firefox nor with Edge. I have about 4-8 offers, depending on the search terms. Well, probably some Ali issues, different country, different offers and different features....
I see, it seems like the differences are countrywise. I noticed some offers are marked "x sold", which I always regarded as a ali confirmation of an actual shipment. Well, I'll wait a week or so to be available anyway. Thank you for the screenshot btw.

pa28-181

Feb 7, 2023
Liking the look of the 5 port ones. There's also these that have appeared for those who want 10g -

The Nxxx doesn't really have the PCIe ports for proper 10g support, this with the i3 is likely fairly similar performance though with a bit higher power use when flat out.

This does not make sense it has 6 sata ports but no way to really use them, this is one where selling just the motherboard might make sense so as to be able to use this as a NAS build.

BoomBangCrash

May 21, 2019
This does not make sense it has 6 sata ports but no way to really use them, this is one where selling just the motherboard might make sense so as to be able to use this as a NAS build.
You're not forced to use them. From a networking point of view, this is the next step up from the N100 boxes if you need 10G. The sata ports cost pennies to add - probably just on all versions of the board that get sold for NAS devices or networking.