CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fta

Feb 19, 2017
Just received my i5-1235U and am getting ready to add memory and drives and noticed mine is a CW-MBX-AD13.5 - I don't see any BIOS's for this one on CWWK's support site - but I'll check what's on this as soon as I get everything installed. Anyone else running this MB version?

View attachment 33114
I'd bet that's a 13th gen. You sure you didn't order an 1335?

MBehr

Sep 4, 2023
I'd bet that's a 13th gen. You sure you didn't order an 1335?
Yup everyone is correct - it's the 13th gen 1335U, even tho I deliberately ordered the 1235U so I could follow along with your trail blazing optimizations and bios updates to allow all the tweaking. I guess I can't use those mods on this unit (looks identical to yours - but had no fan which I purchased separately - both from Amazon Canada). The 1235U was purchased Nov 14, but didn't go anywhere/ship till Dec 2, and arrived Dec 7.

Will I be able to activate all the cores etc. just using tweaks - or will your BIOS mod still work? I've include the BIOS screenshot and the passmark scores (I also have an N305 running Proxmox, but it has a crippled BIOS as well, and I haven't figured out how to apply tweaks specifically - tho I did manage to configure the NIC's as passthrough for pfsense).

UPDATE: Checked the shipping label, and it appears to be a Topton unit...so I guess that will invalidate the BIOS mod. :-(

IMG_1327.jpg
Screenshot 2023-12-08 at 16.53.24.png

Last edited:

iceman_jkh

Mar 21, 2023
Has anyone got a serial adapter that works on this system?
I know it has HDMI out but I'd much rather use serial output, even if that means cutting a small hole in the chassis to passthrough any dongle/connection.

slidermike

May 7, 2023
Yup everyone is correct - it's the 13th gen 1335U, even tho I deliberately ordered the 1235U so I could follow along with your trail blazing optimizations and bios updates to allow all the tweaking. I guess I can't use those mods on this unit (looks identical to yours - but had no fan which I purchased separately - both from Amazon Canada). The 1235U was purchased Nov 14, but didn't go anywhere/ship till Dec 2, and arrived Dec 7.

Will I be able to activate all the cores etc. just using tweaks - or will your BIOS mod still work? I've include the BIOS screenshot and the passmark scores (I also have an N305 running Proxmox, but it has a crippled BIOS as well, and I haven't figured out how to apply tweaks specifically - tho I did manage to configure the NIC's as passthrough for pfsense).

UPDATE: Checked the shipping label, and it appears to be a Topton unit...so I guess that will invalidate the BIOS mod. :-(

View attachment 33129
View attachment 33130
You might want to review this thread. Discussing 13th gen flash in the most recent posts.

MBehr

Sep 4, 2023
Yes, a great read. I actually managed to update the BIOS from July to November - not sure what changed tho. No additional options after the update, so just a refresh/behind the scenes tweaks.

Still trying to mod that updated BIOs using the tools pointed out by the OP for this thread. Harder doing it on a Mac - but slugging away. I may just try the tweaks in a file during proxmox boot.

Testing continues - works great when running s-tui in stress mode - gets warm and uses about 41W - maybe the BIOS is already tweaked?

Default Idle
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 10.46.07.png
Stress Test
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 10.46.52.png
Stress Test Parameters
Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 10.48.54.png

fta

Feb 19, 2017
Still trying to mod that updated BIOs using the tools pointed out by the OP for this thread. Harder doing it on a Mac - but slugging away.
I do all my mods on macos.

uses about 41W - maybe the BIOS is already tweaked?
If it stays there until it thermal throttles, you're good. If OTOH it drops to around 15-20W after a couple seconds, you're hitting the TDC problem.

MBehr

Sep 4, 2023
I do all my mods on macos.

If it stays there until it thermal throttles, you're good. If OTOH it drops to around 15-20W after a couple seconds, you're hitting the TDC problem.
Good to know - I found two different BIOS mod methods - one seems a lot easier than doing individual mods...still working on it, thanks for the pointers.

Actually ran it for 10 minutes but never noticed any thermal throttling yet...but the 42w seems a tad excessive - I'm guessing above 80ºC is when it actually throttles or whatever is hardcoded in the BIOS. The case is very warm - but not blistering hot like when I ran the memtest after putting in memory (32Gb x 2 ddr4 3200). I also installed the fan in the bottom - tho the temps there are fine.

Here's t=0

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 18.05.31 T=0 minutes.png

t=10 minutes

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 18.10.06 T=10 minutes.png

t=-1 minute

Screenshot 2023-12-11 at 18.11.30 T=-1 minute.png
Testing continues...

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
For Info I updated my system by migrating everything to two SSDs in Zraid1 configuration.
I found that by default the ARC RAM memory allocated by proxmox is 50% of the RAM.

So I edited (and create) this file
/etc/modprobe.d/zfs.conf

with these lines (so I limited the ARC memory):
options zfs zfs_arc_min= 6442450943 # This is 6GB - 1B
options zfs zfs_arc_max= 6442450944 # This is 6GB

Proxmox here, recommend at least 2 GiB Base + 1 GiB/TiB-Storage. i have two ssd of 2Tb in zraid1, so i added 2Gb extra.

The adapter for the SSD does not allow you to install a heatsink on the front.
So I decided to install it in the back to try to dissipate the SSD a little.
IMG20231216003052.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: oeiknearf

kylehase

Jun 21, 2023
I recently noticed my bottom fan speed increasing and decreasing every 5-10 seconds. I'm not sure what was causing this and my system temperatures appear to be normal. Has anyone else experienced similar? Also, is there any way to determine the fan speed in software?

BIOS firmware: HWP On - 02/07/2023 from #4

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 10.52.05 PM.png

Update: It turns out the issue was a recently discovered issue in Proxmox, not this hardware. The fix was to update pve-qemu-kvm to 8.1.2-6 which reduced CPU usage after backups and now my fan is much quieter.

Last edited:

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
I recently noticed my bottom fan speed increasing and decreasing every 5-10 seconds. I'm not sure what was causing this and my system temperatures appear to be normal. Has anyone else experienced similar? Also, is there any way to determine the fan speed in software?

BIOS firmware: HWP On - 02/07/2023 from #4
I tried to install fancontrol, but I didn't find any pwm module
chrome_g78h6CBp5k.png

Reactions: kylehase

btcperfect

Nov 29, 2023

View attachment 33129
View attachment 33130
Hi MBehr,
did you manage to unlock the advanced Bios settings? Got mine from Amazon Germany and I received a KingnovyPC 1235U which has the 1335U inside with fan the m2 adapter and 120w Psu. However it should boost to 4600mhz, mine maxes at 4300 same as yours.

Is there any way to enable SST somehow?

abbott

Nov 27, 2020
Quick question: is the CPU fan header "5v" on the i5 1240P model, and if so, does it support PWM? I have a NF-A8 5V PWM and the BIOS reports only 450 RPM.

After searching the thread, I was unable to find the answer.

MBehr

Sep 4, 2023
Hi MBehr,
did you manage to unlock the advanced Bios settings? Got mine from Amazon Germany and I received a KingnovyPC 1235U which has the 1335U inside with fan the m2 adapter and 120w Psu. However it should boost to 4600mhz, mine maxes at 4300 same as yours.

Is there any way to enable SST somehow?
Mine is a CWWK sold by TopTon according to the shipping label. Haven't unlocked anything, tho I did do the latest BIOS upgrade. Still playing before I throw it into production.

btcperfect

Nov 29, 2023
I found a very nice written tutorial on how to Split the iGPU in up to 7 slices and distribute it to several VMs which can use the Onboard GPU simultaneously. Did no tests with LXC, only Windows Server VMs.

PCI Passthrough is used with some kernel hacks, I tested it with 2 VMs simultaneously running Heaven Benchmark. Runs well but Case gets hot. Needed a fan on top, repasting is on my todo :)

Proxmox VE 8.1: Windows 11 vGPU (VT-d) Passthrough with Intel Alder Lake

I changed a Bios setting to get rid of the error: Not enough MMIO resources for SRV-IO after the boot with the new kernel. In the Chipset menu near the VT-d settings was a disabled setting for SRV / Iommu hugepages. Cant remember the wording correctly. This I set to enabled, rebooted and lspci | grep VGA listed all 7 "slices" of the Iris Xe VGA adapter.

Installed the Intel driver and done.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShortCircuit

ShortCircuit

Feb 15, 2023
Hello !

Does anyone use the 2 sata ports and the 2 m.2 ports ? No problem ?
I plan to plug 2 sata ssd + 2 M.2 NVMe ssd with the 1x adapter.
It is possible to stack the 2 sata ssd so it's only 14mm high and it should not touch anything inside.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
Hello !

It is possible to stack the 2 sata ssd so it's only 14mm high and it should not touch anything inside.
Most i have used is 1 m.2 and 2 sata, but i have switched to just 2 sata enterprise ssds (intel s3610) now since there arent proper enterprise class 2280 drives around so zfs (im using proxmox) would eat my ssd's in record time.

technically its no problem to install all 4, except that the sata drives cant be both mounted inside the chassis.
i have made a 2 drive cage for the 2 sata disks and glued it to the bottom of the case with doublesided tape. the minipc is now standing on the ssds :)

if you want i can take pictures of the thing later :)

ShortCircuit

Feb 15, 2023
technically its no problem to install all 4, except that the sata drives cant be both mounted inside the chassis.
I'm pretty sure that stacking 2 7mm sata ssd can be ok to be mounted inside. I have a 3D printer, I will print 2 little plates to screw them together.

i have made a 2 drive cage for the 2 sata disks and glued it to the bottom of the case with doublesided tape. the minipc is now standing on the ssds :)

if you want i can take pictures of the thing later :)
I you can take pictures, of course yes ! Thanks

btcperfect

Nov 29, 2023
Hello !

I installed 2 nvme, works. but with the adapter you install the 1x nvme right above the cpu. Mine did run pretty hot at around 70-80 degrees when the nvme was in use/heavy use. so i decided to get one bigger sized nvme and run it in 4x slot and removed the adapter and second 1x nvme. CPU temps went down a bit also since there isnt a source of heat above the CPU anymore.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
I'm pretty sure that stacking 2 7mm sata ssd can be ok to be mounted inside. I have a 3D printer, I will print 2 little plates to screw them together.

I you can take pictures, of course yes ! Thanks
as promised here the pictures:

1705339911704.png
1705339971762.png
1705340013282.png

And in the end, how the PC is running here in my Homelab sitting on top of a 10G/Multigig-Switch:

1705340090321.png

the offset fan cools both the pc and the switch (the builtin fans are really noisy).

Reactions: btcperfect