CWWK i5-1235U 6 port i226 report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
the two main reasons why zfs kills consumer ssd are missing powerloss protection (PLP) and write endurance.

powerloss protection ensures that all data in the drives cache can be safely written to the flash in case of powerloss (they use caqpacitors for that).
that enables the drive to reorder written data to a large chunk optimized for writing to flash, before actually writing it to flash.
as such it minimizes the actual write executed on the underlying flash chips, reducing their wear.
no PLP means the drive will not use any caching whatsoever (since ZFS uses sync-writes exclusively which enforce that the disk reports that data has been successfully written to physical media).
that in turn means each little block of data uses a seperate write command to flash , even if only 1 byte has been changed a whole block in the flash will be rewritten. you can read up on write amplification if you like.

the second one is write endurance. enterpise disks such as my intel s3610 have several times the write endurance of consumer drives.
example: my 1.6TB Intel s3610 has a write endurance of 10.2 PBW (or 10200 TBW), while usual 2TB consumer drives sit somewhere between 800 and 1200 TBW.

that means enterprise drives last 8-12 times longer without taking the optimization through caching (thanks to PLP) into account, which lowers the actual amount of writes executed on the flash.

so while the consumer drive gets written to death due to enforced lack of caching and lower endurance, the enterprise drives chuck along happily without care :)

enzotekk

Jul 1, 2022
In this case it would be interesting to have the possibility to know what the business models of m2 ssd are for example!
Generally in my case, I would use those to fit everyone into the case without external storage.
I just hope they don't cost too much!

I am currently configured with a Zraid1 of two consumer nvme ssds:
--> Samsung 990 pro 2tb
--> Kingston FURY 2tb

I bought two different SSD models for obvious reasons related to ZRAID1.
Generally this is done to prevent the other SSD from dying at the same time as the other.
The zraid1 should let me sleep peacefully in this case.

1706453881487.png

1706454019692.png

Question : Does the ''zpool upgrade'' offer any kind of advantages?

Last edited:

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
there are pretty much no 2280 enterprise m.2 drives.
every enterprise drive i know is 22110.
these you can only use with adapter such as shown on the previous page (they are available with support for 22110 drives as well).

examples for such drives are samsung pm983 or micron 7450 pro.
you can easily identify enterprise drives by the 110 mm length and the soldered capacitors.

Reactions: enzotekk

weeman

Oct 1, 2014
there are pretty much no 2280 enterprise m.2 drives.
every enterprise drive i know is 22110.
these you can only use with adapter such as shown on the previous page (they are available with support for 22110 drives as well).

examples for such drives are samsung pm983 or micron 7450 pro.
you can easily identify enterprise drives by the 110 mm length and the soldered capacitors.
7450 Pro and Max are 2280 size below 1TB, it is only the larger models which are 22110. Note these drives run very hot and need significant passive or active cooling. I ordered some 800GB 7450 Max drives for my cwwk box, but changed them to WD Red NVMe (SN700) due to the heat of the micron drives.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
i only looked up the 1.92TB drives, which are 22110.
you are correct, that the 480 and 960GB versions are 2280.
and yes, enterprise NVME-Drives (no matter the vendor or generation) run super hot due to their energy-consumption (2-3 times that of nvme-consumer-ssds).
but you have little choice if you want to use zfs.
either live with a cool ssd and a lifetime measured in months (maybe a year) or live with a hot but durable ssd.

the middle way are sata-drives. here the enterprise-versions run just as cool as their consumer counterparts.
at least my drives are happily sitting at around 37°C without any cooling.

DougQuaid

Jan 7, 2024
If anyone is interested, I managed to silence the speaker by screwing a small screw (the size that is used to fasten the m.2 drives seems to be the best size) into the hole on the speaker :D
It was screeching anytime there was some activity with SATA drive.

Stimpy68

Jan 28, 2024
do you want an ssd for zfs-use or lvm/ext4?
LVM, I want to boot proxmox from 1 SSD and on the other my VM's. In a later stadium maybe ZFS with Enterprise SATA as you mentioned before. I can use a sata for boot, but have some small M.2 ssd's laying around here (128GB)

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
i would recommend putting the boot disk (consumer nvme-drive with some half decent TBW-Value) in the slower second nvme-slot with the adapter. that slot is only x1, so it would be wrong to put the vm-ssd there.

as for specific models i would look at the tbw values of different brands.
it seems like the current mainstream on m.2 drives is 600TBW per 1TB of capacity.
i wouldnt buy anything with lower values (a 256GB bootdrive should have respectively at least 150TBW).
but with the prices as they are you can just grab a 600+TBW 1TB drive and boot from that.
with LVM the writes should stay within reasonable limits, but i would make sure that you have proper backups in place (either using proxmox backup server or any other backup solution.

for the vm drive it would be essentially the same. at least 600TBW per TB of disk.
so a 2TB drive shouldnt have under 1200TBW.

most important advice: do not buy QLC (Quad Level Cell) consumer drives. they are just plain terrible.
make sure whatever drive you buy is TLC.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
1706701790948.png
if you mean the ssd adapter, that converts the wifi-slot under the primary ssd slot to an ssd-slot, that one should be coming with the device.
its a custommade adapter which isnt sold seperately.

Stimpy68

Jan 28, 2024
@beisser Yes, I mean the ssd adapter. As I mentioned, I'm going to buy the Tuofudun unit, don't know if the adapter is coming with this one. I will order it and will see.

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
guys quick question, especially for @fta .
did we ever have a modded hwp_on bios that works without nvme drive installed?
i currently run a setup without any nvme-drive (sata only) and i cant navigate the bios because it freezes.
it works with nvme installed, but i dont want to waste power with an installed nvme just to be able to navigate the bios.

was there ever a release that fixed this?

beisser

Mar 20, 2023
@fta did you ever fix this issue? or was it deemed unnecessary because at the time everyone was using nvme-drives anyway?

blender50

Jan 10, 2024
Hey folks,

first time poster here. I'm about to pull the cord on one of these from Aliexpress (topton vers.) and was wondering:

There have been a couple of mentions that Wifi using either PCIe or Wifi may be supported in BIOS. Does anyone have experience using a AX200 or other PCIe wifi card?

My question is could I possibly use a BE200 (PCIe) or would I be limited to an AX411 (Wifi)?