Controller for 12xHHD

Discussion in 'RAID Controllers and Host Bus Adapters' started by pettinz, May 10, 2018.

1. pettinz

pettinz Member

Hi all,
    I have a Chenbro RM23612 so I have to handle with 12xHDD. I'm completely new in this field, so I ask advices to you. I need a controller in IT mode, to handle the HDD by the OS (through mdadm). Which controller I need? I see a lot of person use a LSI 9211-8i.

2. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

"It depends" :D

Do you have the version with an expander backplane?
    If yes they you can use a 4 or 8 port lsi controller, else you will need a hba with more ports (16+ ports).

Check the sticky in the controller/hba subforum for oem versions of lsi hbas from vendors like dell and hp. These can be flashed with the lsi firmware and are pretty cheap on ebay.

3. pettinz

pettinz Member

Yes I have a backplane so I have 3 miniSAS 8087 ports.
    N.B. I can't see your link: it redirects me to Kijiji's homepage

4. pettinz

pettinz Member

So, should an LSI 9211-8i controller be good?