Cheap chinese x79 mobos

kthree

Feb 18, 2018
Having an issue with the PlexHD x79 motherboard and a nvme ssd in the M.2 slot.
Windows will become stuttery until re-starting the machine.

Might be due to sharing SATA ports? But doesnt seem to be any details about it.

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
Run benchmark, check the thermals, but it might be as well bad psu, bad pcie or bad capacitor on mb.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I cannot figure out the header pins for the x99 motherboard. Can someone share what they have? (eg the pwr, rst, HDD LED, Sys LED)

Klee

Jun 2, 2016
I just built a "Machinist" brand M-ATX x79 board. Popped the chipset heat sink off and it has a c602 chipset and Windows 10 activated with a digital license. I never entered a key during or after install. I was a bit surprised since this was a cheap x79 board that was brand new and not an open box or used.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I just built a "Machinist" brand M-ATX x79 board. Popped the chipset heat sink off and it has a c602 chipset and Windows 10 activated with a digital license. I never entered a key during or after install. I was a bit surprised since this was a cheap x79 board that was brand new and not an open box or used.
what windows ver? home?

Vit K

Feb 23, 2017
It is called OEM key that usually installed in BIOS/UEFI on chinese boards from Aliexpress, it is probably Windows 7 or Windows 8 key that automatically activates Windows 10. Microsoft not even try anymore with their activation servers, they happy to fetch you personal data using telemetry more, than sell you another copy of Windows.

Dukenukemx

Apr 14, 2021
Anyone able to get S3 sleep working on one of these? I bought one and when I set the bios to S3 the system won't wake up. I'm using Linux Mint 20, and I think S3 even corrupted my drive. Any particular bios that would help or allow me to overclock my Xeon?

Here's what it looks like.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
Anyone able to get S3 sleep working on one of these? I bought one and when I set the bios to S3 the system won't wake up. I'm using Linux Mint 20, and I think S3 even corrupted my drive. Any particular bios that would help or allow me to overclock my Xeon?

Here's what it looks like.
The illusive s3 sleep....lol.... we all scream for s3 sleep.... but for some reasons, the oem either find it too hard or costly to implement? or just don't care?

Even with my relatively new 5 month old HP pav 15 15-eh0050wm managed to surreptitiously use S1 connected standby instead of having a proper S3.....

It really sucks doesn't it? We all want true S3 in everything but manufacturers just refuse to give us S3!!!!

Dukenukemx

Apr 14, 2021
The illusive s3 sleep....lol.... we all scream for s3 sleep.... but for some reasons, the oem either find it too hard or costly to implement? or just don't care?

Even with my relatively new 5 month old HP pav 15 15-eh0050wm managed to surreptitiously use S1 connected standby instead of having a proper S3.....

It really sucks doesn't it? We all want true S3 in everything but manufacturers just refuse to give us S3!!!!
I guess it doesn't just effect Linux then? It can at least hibernate right? I haven't tested this yet since I gotta reinstall Mint. What about overclocking an E5 2689 Xeon? Is that possible on this board?

Neil Jefferies

Jun 28, 2019
UK
neilstechdocs.blogspot.com
E5-26xx Xeons are generally locked so the best you can do for overclocking is maybe tweak BCLK. For overclocking you either want an E5-16xx (or a 2011-3 motherboard with an E5 V3). More information can be found here: Xeon-e5450.ru - Серверные процессоры для игровых и рабочих ПК. Характеристики, обзоры, сравнения и тесты, актуальность.. Sleep/Hibernate has always been problematic on the cheapies - but if you look on here even the bigger names like Supermicro and Gigabyte have had problems with it on occasion - although usually with dual boards.

Reactions: Dukenukemx