Cheap 8+ ports sfp+ - low noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

joeribl

Jun 6, 2021
Is the v2.0 running any cooler? i saw on chiphel people trying to improve the cooling of the chassis with the v1.0 model.

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
Thanks, after reflecting I think for how few ports I need, I may end up going with ubiquiti's 5 port Flex XG, its $300 but most of my equipment is already ubiquiti so management would be easy. Addtionally it can do 1, 2.5, 5, or 10 gig and is already ethernet handoff
If you only need 5 ports the Mikrotik CRS305 is amazing and can be found for only $120-180 :D

jmsq

Dec 30, 2019
Is the v2.0 running any cooler? i saw on chiphel people trying to improve the cooling of the chassis with the v1.0 model.
Hard to say as I haven't noticed severe thermal issues with either model under my operating conditions; currently the 2.0's case is warm but far from hot. Internally via peeking through the vents on both, it looks like the chipset heatsink looks similar on both models.

That being said, the thermals on an SFP switch can vary wildly based on what sort of transceivers you're running. I can say the 2.5Gbt modules are definitely running cooler than 10gbt modules, but the majority of my usage is DAC which stays pretty cool as well. I usually alternate the copper base-t transceivers to be every other slot at most to avoid thermal issues because at least the 10gbt ones run very hot. Currently I'm only running 2-3 modules while the rest is DAC, and the modules are spaced out as far as they can be from each other with DACs in between.

discoeels

May 8, 2013
This unmanaged switch would be great for VSAN, CEPH, etc. Room for a 3-5 node cluster with a port for iSCSI for VM/config backup/block storage; VSAN is fickle with disparate hardware. Also one for NAS, an SFP port to connect to the gigabit network, etc.

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
That wont do 2.5gb I dont think though will it?
A bit of a late reply (I’m also new here), but I wanted to chime in as I have TL- SX3008F.

While it appears to have the option (I’m on ‘beta’ firmware) to force 2.5G on a port, I wouldn’t count on it working given how broken V1 of the firmware was.

3A21747E-CA60-46B8-9B95-BFA2E956F36B.jpeg

(V1 of the firmware won’t bring any non-10G SFP+ modules up automatically. Auto-negotiation seems to be broken and the switch is stuck in 10G by default. I’d only realized this after spending hours trying to set it up to no avail — only to find an obscure response with instructions and the beta firmware on TP-Link’s forums. Shortly after reading the thread, I plugged in a 10G DAC, bringing the web interface online. I was then able to upload the ‘beta’ firmware that fixed the negotiation issues.)

discoeels

May 8, 2013
A bit of a late reply (I’m also new here), but I wanted to chime in as I have TL- SX3008F.

(V1 of the firmware won’t bring any non-10G SFP+ modules up automatically. Auto-negotiation seems to be broken and the switch is stuck in 10G by default. I’d only realized this after spending hours trying to set it up to no avail — only to find an obscure response with instructions and the beta firmware on TP-Link’s forums. Shortly after reading the thread, I plugged in a 10G DAC, bringing the web interface online. I was then able to upload the ‘beta’ firmware that fixed the negotiation issues.)
Do you know if RDMA works on this switch? I saw a comment on Chiphell that said the RTL chips used for these lines do not.

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
Do you know if RDMA works on this switch? I saw a comment on Chiphell that said the RTL chips used for these lines do not.
Given that other switches (USW-Aggregation, for example) with the same SOC don't support it, I highly doubt that the TP-Link version has it either.

I've also seen the Chiphell thread, which further confirms our suspicion(s).

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017
By 10G/1G mode, does it mean it will accept generic copper SFP/1G transceivers in those ports and set them up correctly?

What does it do with the TL-SM410U transceivers that are described as 2.5G/1G on their website? Look at the switch mode to decide the speed of the link?

Last edited:

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
One of the Amazon reviews says you cannot use copper pluggables with this switch
Currently have two 10GbE modules plugged in. They’re both made by 10GTek (purchased off Amazon.ca).

I’d still be cautious, though — heat might be an issue with these modules. Indeed, they use more power than my other optical transceivers.

By 10G/1G mode, does it mean it will accept generic copper SFP/1G transceivers in those ports and set them up correctly?

What does it do with the TL-SM410U transceivers that are described as 2.5G/1G on their website? Look at the switch mode to decide the speed of the link?
I just tried a generic AliExpress transceiver. It reports itself as 10G, but only does the rated speed of 1 Gbps (so the answer would be yes). I’ve also tried one that is properly set to 1G and the port came up.

Not sure about the official ones described on their site — I’m using existing 10G SFP+ modules from my old switch. If I pick any up, I’ll let you know.

Last edited:

heffe2022

Jun 2, 2022
I'm using both a TPlink TL-SM5310-T along with a 10GTek Cisco module and both work on the SX3800F. I'm also using a few different coaxial sfp cables with the switch to connect it to a Quanta LB4M.

I'd love to be able to get the 2.5gb option that's in the firmware to work, I'm about ready to upgrade my firewall, and want to go with something with 2.5gb lan/wan ports so I can get all the speed I'm paying for.. Anybody tried that yet?

unmesh

Apr 17, 2017

While it appears to have the option (I’m on ‘beta’ firmware) to force 2.5G on a port, I wouldn’t count on it working given how broken V1 of the firmware was.

View attachment 23259

Where are you finding firmware in English for this switch?

heffe2022

Jun 2, 2022
Just a FYI, the stock/shipping firmware has the 2.5gb option as well, you just can't actually select it. I'd definitely be interested as well in any upgraded firmware from the shipping stuff (1.0.0 Build 20210316 Rel.70629 )..

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
Just a FYI, the stock/shipping firmware has the 2.5gb option as well, you just can't actually select it. I'd definitely be interested as well in any upgraded firmware from the shipping stuff (1.0.0 Build 20210316 Rel.70629 )..
The BETA firmware on my switch is from this post: Port speed settings when adopted to controller - Business Community

(firmware version: 1.0.0 Build 20210827 Rel.61039(Beta))

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Do you know if RDMA works on this switch?
RDMA works without any configuration (see mellanox setups with peer to peer configurations)
As long as you can't saturate the bandwidth of a port on the switch that can be okay (homelab, proof of concept etc.). For a productive environment you will need special configuration and a lossless ethernet network...

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
That's almost a year old!
Indeed; but it seems to be the only one that recognizes my mix-n-match SFP+ module selection correctly (even after resets).

It’s also quite useful that the switch can be reset and re-configured through a gigabit port as opposed to a 10G one. I’ll try and see if any newer firmware fixes the issue, but it was the first thing that pissed me off when I received the switch. (doesn’t detect 1G/2.5G/5G properly out of the box for the uplink)

heffe2022

Jun 2, 2022
Indeed; but it seems to be the only one that recognizes my mix-n-match SFP+ module selection correctly (even after resets).

It’s also quite useful that the switch can be reset and re-configured through a gigabit port as opposed to a 10G one. I’ll try and see if any newer firmware fixes the issue, but it was the first thing that pissed me off when I received the switch. (doesn’t detect 1G/2.5G/5G properly out of the box for the uplink)
Does it detect a 2.5g connection correctly after firmware upgrade to that beta version?

dawgyy

Jun 22, 2022
Does it detect a 2.5g connection correctly after firmware upgrade to that beta version?
That was more of an assumption given that even gigabit SFPs weren’t working for me on the firmware that shipped w/ the switch.

Having said that, I have some 2.5G SFP+ modules arriving near the end of July. If you can wait, I’ll let you know the results of my testing.

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
That was more of an assumption given that even gigabit SFPs weren’t working for me on the firmware that shipped w/ the switch.

Having said that, I have some 2.5G SFP+ modules arriving near the end of July. If you can wait, I’ll let you know the results of my testing.
The sellers of 2.5G SFP modules at Aliexpress are sending messages about compatibility with the buyers switches...
I have an CRS309-1G-8S+IN ( firmware 7.3.1 ) that support Tplink 2.5G modules ( TL-SM410U ) since you manually configure the sfp+ port to operate at 2.5Gb/s. Speed is 2.47Gb/s in both directions using MTU 9000.
My Tplink TL-SG3428X have the 2.5gb/s option but it's not accepted in any port.
I now have ordered Onti 2.5Gb/s modules to test since the low cost.

The main trouble is that this type of module uses 2500Base-X what looks isn't very supported in switches.