Changing block size IBM branded Micron S650DC-800 SSD

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
Sense Key Specific Information:
Invalid field in Parameter byte 21 bit 7
Command Time (ms): 1.19
If the IBM SSDs locked for formatting, we are wasting time for the reformatting with sg_format, seachest, etc...
Drive is waiting for valid value in byte 21 bit 7 of format request. In case of hdd this field can be left empty. If you have firmware file, try to update it with seachest and see how ssd will react.

Whaaat

Jan 31, 2020
My Google-fu must be weak as I can't find any reference to download this tool.
HUGO
I have actually done this a few times, it appears to work and does not report any errors.
it is clear now that IBM has embedded some modification into firmware for changing block size. Firmware requires some additional fields into format request to be filled with correct values and there is no way to find them out without having at least an IBM HBA controller.

sephallen

Jan 22, 2021
it is clear now that IBM has embedded some modification into firmware for changing block size. Firmware requires some additional fields into format request to be filled with correct values and there is no way to find them out without having at least an IBM HBA controller.
Ah OK, I suppose HUGO won't help me here anyway!
It's a shame about the drive, but I will re-sell it on eBay (clearly stating the block size issue of course!).
I really appreciate all the advice from yourself and other members on the forum, it has been a fun ride and I have definitely learnt a thing or two - which at the end of the day is what it is all about.

Thurbin

Apr 11, 2021
This link might be something to try,

Michael