1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bug in Intel Atom C2000 series processors?

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by smithse79, Feb 6, 2017.

1. Nanotech

Nanotech Active Member

Patrick what exactly does this platform level fix do or entail? Usually most serious bugs or errata are fixed through microcode updates. Is this similar to a microcode update as well or is this something that would require a bios update say for example?

2. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

NDA :-( Usually "platform fix" means motherboard workaround.

3. smithse79

smithse79 Active Member

Does anyone have a link to where SM has said they are replacing affected units?

4. Aluminum

Aluminum Active Member

NDA on hardware defect? What a crock, stinks really really bad, must be some nice payolla for the vendors (like "free no-questions asked chip replacements and keep your tier-1 OEM pricing/supply status wink wink nudge nudge") that otherwise could throw intel under the bus.

5. Drewy

Drewy Member

They confirmed via email when I asked earlier today. They actually said the rma will be handled by the seller.
    I've asked if they can handle mine direct and are awaiting their response. Not holding my breath.

6. smithse79

smithse79 Active Member

Thanks! I asked our vendor and they hadn't heard anything yet.

7. mstone

mstone Active Member

what really stinks is the netgate response of "we'll fix this during the 3 year warranty period"

8. Yamabushi

Yamabushi New Member

Running a Supermicro C2758 pfSense box here, so definitely following this with concern.

9. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

Patriot likes this.
  10. Aluminum

Aluminum Active Member

Reminder to any NDA-birds reading this: NDAs don't protect you from criminal or civil liability.

11. cheezehead

cheezehead Active Member

Platform Fix = BIOS update which disables use of the specific problematic feature? Wasn't that how they handled the VT-d bug on the Sandy Bridge E5's?

12. mstone

mstone Active Member

It's hard to use a BIOS fix for a bug that prevents the system from loading the BIOS. I would guess the platform fix involves adding a new timer or somesuch (not a software fix). That would pretty much be intel's worst nightmare, because ever since the fdiv bug they've tried to make it possible to fix almost anything in microcode.

13. Vidmo

Vidmo New Member

Same here. Unfortunately I purchased my A1SRi-2758F from E-Bay. :(

The board is going on 21 months right now, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that SM will conduct RMAs directly.

I might just run out and purchase a new A1SRi-2758F to make sure I can get one that is fixed sooner than later. Anyone know of a seller or distributor that has access to the January onward fixed parts that Patrick mentioned above?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  14. smithse79

smithse79 Active Member

Our DC, dhcp, dns, NPS, ADCS server is running on a C2758. It's not our only DC, but it's the only physical one. I've already contacted our vendor and they're processing an RMA for us. Luckily they're sending us a board to swap out as an advance replacement.

15. Drewy

Drewy Member

Not necessarily a problem. I got a response fromSupermicro EMEA first thing this morning and they are OK with looking at a RMA from me. I'd purchased several boards from a US seller via ebay. So don't go and up, give them a shout and see how it goes.
    I was very polite and made it clear that I understood that the problem isn't actually their fault.

16. g33k

g33k Member

Drewy, who did you talk to at Supermicro getting an RMA directly? I purchased several boards new from sellers on eBay - definitely interested in pursuing replacements. Thanks

17. Drewy

Drewy Member

18. trumee

trumee Member

Supermicro USA accepted my C2758 board for the RMA. The support guy said they dont know what they are going to do though. They haven't made up their mind on what to fix. It looks like it will take some time to make up their mind on how to process the RMA's.

19. smithse79

smithse79 Active Member

Our vendor did an RMA through SuperMicro for us

20. trumee

trumee Member

What was the outcome?

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk