Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SuperMiguel

Jun 17, 2021
Why/how is your firewall on or accessible to your "isolated" VLAN? It shouldn't be. Get the FW off that VLAN
I guess, IF i remove the VLAN configuration from the firewall, it wouldnt be a VLAN(technically) anymore but that would still fix the problem... I guess i can also delete anything related to that VLAN on my switch

Last edited:

alaricljs

Jun 16, 2023
A LAN is still a LAN without a gateway or routes to any other network.... Can't think of why you'd expect a VLAN would be any different.

cferra

Jun 27, 2016
I know the common rule of thumb is not to use a WebUI - but i am interested in testing it out, are there any drawbacks to attempting to update? Is there a quick how to, to upgrade and keep the current config that is setup?

Thanks,

Chris

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
I know the common rule of thumb is not to use a WebUI - but i am interested in testing it out, are there any drawbacks to attempting to update? Is there a quick how to, to upgrade and keep the current config that is setup?

Thanks,

Chris
The web gui doesn't overwrite the previous config, anymore than using the cli overwrites the config (and just like the cli, if you don't write the config to memory, it'll get lost on reboot).

The web ui sucks because it's missing features, poorly laid out, and not all commands do all they should. Play around, you might find some things you like, but you will end up in the cli for >90% of the more meaningful commands; it sucks to the point of being almost unusable, but not quite unusable.

cferra

Jun 27, 2016
The web gui doesn't overwrite the previous config, anymore than using the cli overwrites the config (and just like the cli, if you don't write the config to memory, it'll get lost on reboot).

The web ui sucks because it's missing features, poorly laid out, and not all commands do all they should. Play around, you might find some things you like, but you will end up in the cli for >90% of the more meaningful commands; it sucks to the point of being almost unusable, but not quite unusable.
gotcha - yeah i agree the CLI is the way to go. I saw some Youtube videos of the v9 UI and it looked a bit more feature complete. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Chris

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA
gotcha - yeah i agree the CLI is the way to go. I saw some Youtube videos of the v9 UI and it looked a bit more feature complete. Have you seen it? What are your thoughts on it?

Thanks!

Chris
I saw it when I was running 9.x firmware, and it had even fewer capabilities than the 8.x web UI did.

Reactions: fohdeesha

SuperMiguel

Jun 17, 2021
Hello, im currently running firmware ver 08.0.30tT7f3 is it worth it upgrading? what does the newer firmware give me?

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Comprehensive changlogs are usually provided by Ruckus for firmware updates, or at least they are for vSZ, did you manage to find one and review? changelog.jpg
changelogv9.jpg

Last edited:

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Hello, im currently running firmware ver 08.0.30tT7f3 is it worth it upgrading? what does the newer firmware give me?
depends.

I probably wouldn't upgrade to 09.XX; but you could upgrade to 08.0.30u (if you're on an ICX6XXX series switch) as it contains some bugfixes or 08.09.95 if you're on another switch that supports it

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
So, my trusty ICX6610-48P has started resetting itself randomly, usually between 10 and 30 minutes between reboots. Not seeing anything in any of the logs on the device when it comes back up, and I wasn't seeing anything on the serial console either before or after a reset. I jerry-rigged my network with a different switch so my wife and kids could at least keep using the wifi today and I could work from home, but OpenHAB and stuff are down for now.

I was able to find a replacement ICX6610-48P from a local recycler for not too much of a premium over eBay prices and will swap it in after work today after licensing it and making sure it's updated to the latest FW per the guide.

As far as diagnosing the issue with the old switch, anyone have any ideas? I've got dual PSUs and I tried running it on each one individually, but the issue persists. Not sure what else to look at, really, in the absence of any log output.

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
So, my trusty ICX6610-48P has started resetting itself randomly, usually between 10 and 30 minutes between reboots. Not seeing anything in any of the logs on the device when it comes back up, and I wasn't seeing anything on the serial console either before or after a reset. I jerry-rigged my network with a different switch so my wife and kids could at least keep using the wifi today and I could work from home, but OpenHAB and stuff are down for now.

I was able to find a replacement ICX6610-48P from a local recycler for not too much of a premium over eBay prices and will swap it in after work today after licensing it and making sure it's updated to the latest FW per the guide.

As far as diagnosing the issue with the old switch, anyone have any ideas? I've got dual PSUs and I tried running it on each one individually, but the issue persists. Not sure what else to look at, really, in the absence of any log output.
Failing RAM maybe? Would likely be very hard if not impossible to catch in logs given the way the whole system is run from memory and virtually nothing is written back to the NAND storage. I don't know if that SODIMM look module is actual replaceable RAM or something else.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Failing RAM maybe? Would likely be very hard if not impossible to catch in logs given the way the whole system is run from memory and virtually nothing is written back to the NAND storage. I don't know if that SODIMM look module is actual replaceable RAM or something else.
That's a good thought... I'll pop it open later and look and see and look in my parts bin for a replacement to test out.

Honestly I was kinda hoping for a stack trace or something like that to be written to the serial console by whatever kernel these things run before the reset, assuming it's a software issue or a catchable hardware failure. RAM failure might not qualify as that, though.

One other thought I had was the CMOS battery...I did glimpse something in the web UI when I was monitoring it for resets that indicated its clock was not set. But I would hope a failing CMOS battery in enterprise gear wouldn't cause the whole switch to go down...

Reactions: Sprint8

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
@Dave Corder

The one additional diagnostic I can think of is plug in the serial, and open up a terminal to monitor outputs. Putty (and I assume others) can dump the output to a log file on the client PC. Maybe something useful will pop up right before the boot output when it reboots?

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
That's a good thought... I'll pop it open later and look and see and look in my parts bin for a replacement to test out.

Honestly I was kinda hoping for a stack trace or something like that to be written to the serial console by whatever kernel these things run before the reset, assuming it's a software issue or a catchable hardware failure. RAM failure might not qualify as that, though.

One other thought I had was the CMOS battery...I did glimpse something in the web UI when I was monitoring it for resets that indicated its clock was not set. But I would hope a failing CMOS battery in enterprise gear wouldn't cause the whole switch to go down...

Edit: I'm assuming if it's not the CMOS battery (if it has one) or RAM, then the thing is probably just toast since I don't think there are any other serviceable components inside...

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
@Dave Corder

The one additional diagnostic I can think of is plug in the serial, and open up a terminal to monitor outputs. Putty (and I assume others) can dump the output to a log file on the client PC. Maybe something useful will pop up right before the boot output when it reboots?
That's what I had going. Got nada. But I'll try again just to confirm.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

the ram is easily replaceable but it's a very oddball type Centon Lot of 2 RD703G01 2GB PC2-5300 Reg ECC CL5 DDR2 667Mhz 1 Rank SODIMM 6-2 | eBay

swapping the ram would be my second thing, after checking/swapping PSUs (which it seems like you already did)

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
the ram is easily replaceable but it's a very oddball type Centon Lot of 2 RD703G01 2GB PC2-5300 Reg ECC CL5 DDR2 667Mhz 1 Rank SODIMM 6-2 | eBay

swapping the ram would be my second thing, after checking/swapping PSUs (which it seems like you already did)
The plot thickens...After running fine for ~28 hours, my new-to-me switch spontaneously rebooted a couple times as well. This leads me to believe that the issue is not the switches themselves but that the UPS they have been connected to somehow triggering the PSUs to think the mains is disconnected.

The UPS is a CP1500PFCLCD (PFC Sinewave model, 1500VA / 1000W, Line Interactive). I spent a bit of time tonight getting its USB port wired up to my OPNsense router that it powers (along with the ICX and two DC bricks for my Comcast modem and a small 2.5 Gbps POE switch).

Interestingly, NUT shows that the UPS is actually only 78% charged right now (and charging) - I'm not sure why that would be - we haven't had any extended power outages or anything for a while, so I'd expect it to be sitting at 100%, unless it decided to do a runtime test or something recently that I wasn't aware of. Aside from that, I haven't noticed any odd behavior from any of the devices on it when the power did go out and it kicked over to battery power and the whole shebang has been running fine on this UPS for a year or more.

My hunch then is somehow related to either the PFC or the line-interactive features not being fully compatible with the PSUs in the ICX (my money would be on PFC, which is something I don't fully understand the mechanics of in the first place).

Reactions: fohdeesha

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
Transfer time is 4ms per spec which should be low enough. Maybe it’s taking slightly longer and the DC bricks have enough capacitance to not have a problem but the ICX trips?

The frequency at which it’s happening, do you have logs of if/why the UPS is switching over? Like I know my APC units will switch on under/over volt conditions and my rack mounted online/double conversion units will also trigger due to noise issues.

You could try plugging one PSU straight to mains power (with a suitable surge suppressor) and see if the switch stabilizes.

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Transfer time is 4ms per spec which should be low enough. Maybe it’s taking slightly longer and the DC bricks have enough capacitance to not have a problem but the ICX trips?

The frequency at which it’s happening, do you have logs of if/why the UPS is switching over? Like I know my APC units will switch on under/over volt conditions and my rack mounted online/double conversion units will also trigger due to noise issues.

You could try plugging one PSU straight to mains power (with a suitable surge suppressor) and see if the switch stabilizes.
I suspect it may be something along those lines. I don't have logs from the UPS, unfortunately, because it's a consumer-grade device (and I don't have the optional SNMP/network add-on for it). I've moved the PDU for my network gear to an APC rack-mount UPS and it's holding steady for now...fingers crossed. Stability is top priority since I WFH, but this weekend I might do some experimenting with various power scenarios and see what I can deduce.