Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Booo these 7250's were perfect with POE and SFP+ port count.

I think I'm going to try try the 9.x branch for the hell of it to see what it does.

I guess worst case I'll just go back to terminating all my vlans on the OpnSense, but I hate hate hate taking down the whole network when it does updates.

We'll see.

hmm, the v6 neighbors not migrating ports on their own is a bug in 8030/icx6xxx series, shouldn't be happening on icx7xxx series running latest 8095

edit: yeah try 9x

joku

Dec 4, 2023
Can anyone recommend a serial cable that is known to work with the Brocade ICX6450 (availability in Germany would be great)?
I've ordered this one, which doesn't work (it prints garbage to the console). It seems the PIN layout is wrong.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can anyone recommend a serial cable that is known to work with the Brocade ICX6450 (availability in Germany would be great)?
I've ordered this one, which doesn't work (it prints garbage to the console). It seems the PIN layout is wrong.
I use a startech adapter with ftdi chip (ICUSB2321F) and the serial cable that came with an arista switch. Bought it after two other cheaper usb adapters/cables didn't work.

Reactions: Ralph_IT and joku

dbvader

Oct 22, 2023
https://amzn.eu/d/cQv388q
Not familiar with that particular cable but one review (from Japan) states it only worked after installing the driver. If on Windows 11 there seems to be some confusion as to which (PL2303) driver to install.

The pin layout otherwise seems to be the same as an ebay cable I'm successfully using (with minicom).

joku

Dec 4, 2023
Not familiar with that particular cable but one review (from Japan) states it only worked after installing the driver. If on Windows 11 there seems to be some confusion as to which (PL2303) driver to install.

The pin layout otherwise seems to be the same as an ebay cable I'm successfully using (with minicom).
Thanks for the hint. The driver was already installed (Windows 10). Unfortunately, with the same outcome.
I gave up and ordered another cable with the FTDI chip. I'll post an update once tested.

Reactions: dbvader

jei

Aug 8, 2021
Finland
Got 7450-24P delivered today from the UK. After shipping and taxes about 400€ total. Not great, not terrible. I want to try 40Gb and 6610 is EOL/even more noisier so.. Seller mentioned only 1x 1X40GQ module, but it came fully stocked, 2x 1X40GQ, 1x 4X10GF and 2x PSUs. Only rack ears are missing, if someone has extras I'm a taker. The noise is not too bad, possibly could work in my closet without any modding. Somehow I recall my old 6450-24P was worse.

edit: Taking ~60W (230V) from the wall idle after boot is complete (1 PSU).

For the console I decided to use existing Cisco FTDI USB-C to RJ45 cable. Materials needed: RJ45 keystone adapter and old miniusb cord.

RJ45USB
3 (tx)3 (tx) (green)
6 (rx)2 (rx) (white)
4-5 (gnd)5 (gnd) (black)

IMG_3163_1.jpg IMG_3166_1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: ano and bwahaha

diode

Mar 13, 2023
Got 7450-24P delivered today from the UK. After shipping and taxes about 400€ total. Not great, not terrible. I want to try 40Gb and 6610 is EOL/even more noisier so.. Seller mentioned only 1x 1X40GQ module, but it came fully stocked, 2x 1X40GQ, 1x 4X10GF and 2x PSUs. Only rack ears are missing, if someone has extras I'm a taker. The noise is not too bad, possibly could work in my closet without any modding. Somehow I recall my old 6450-24P was worse.

edit: Taking ~60W (230V) from the wall idle after boot is complete.

For the console I decided to use existing Cisco FTDI USB-C to RJ45 cable. Materials needed: RJ45 keystone adapter and old miniusb cord.

RJ45USB
3 (tx)3 (tx) (green)
6 (rx)2 (rx) (white)
4-5 (gnd)5 (gnd) (black)

View attachment 33046 View attachment 33047
I just made one like this with the Cisco FTDI and it worked like a charm!

Reactions: jei

hoitzed

Dec 5, 2023
I recently just picked up a new to me ICX6610 and am planning on using it as a core switch.
Fortigate/fortiswitch > (1gb) ICX > (10gb) other switches
I've followed the guide posted and have the switch updated and reset. However I can't seem to get the routing / pathing correct (not using ACL or L3) for the downstream switches. I'm assuming because the downstream connection is faster, it's being preferred. VLANS are enabled on the required ports. Traceroute in the UI seems to contact my gateway correctly, and can reach the internet.

Apologize in advance for poor network terminology.

joku

Dec 4, 2023
Thanks for the hint. The driver was already installed (Windows 10). Unfortunately, with the same outcome.
I gave up and ordered another cable with the FTDI chip. I'll post an update once tested.
Update as promised.
Today I received the new cable:

… And it's starting to get frustrating. I still see only garbage on the console (well, it appears in a different pace now than with the other cable). Is it possible that the default connection parameters do not apply on this switch (for whatever reason)? Is it still the cable? I'm lost at this point.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Update as promised.
Today I received the new cable:

… And it's starting to get frustrating. I still see only garbage on the console (well, it appears in a different pace now than with the other cable). Is it possible that the default connection parameters do not apply on this switch (for whatever reason)? Is it still the cable? I'm lost at this point.
Just buy an USB to RS232 cable and a Cisco RS232 to RJ45 cable.
That's what I used on my ICX6450 and worked flawlessly.
Something like this

joku

Dec 4, 2023
Just buy an USB to RS232 cable and a Cisco RS232 to RJ45 cable.
That's what I used on my ICX6450 and worked flawlessly.
Something like this
Well, now I tried my luck with one of my old computers having a physical RS-232 interface on its motherboard and guess what, it prints garbage to the console (I've triple checked the connection settings).

ManoftheSea

Apr 18, 2023
Hey network people.
I've been having some adventures with an ICX6450 and a Ubiquiti AP and a Roku. An old roku stick, if it matters. I had it set up that the ICX6450 has DHCP pools, the AP is connected on a dual-mode port, with untagged traffic for the AP itself and tagged VLANs for the wifi. Alas, I think it was stated a bit ago, and I discovered as well, that the Roku is unwilling to get an address from the ICX6450.

So I set up a DHCP server (Kea) on a host, and I configured dhcp snooping ("ip dhcp snooping vlan N"), while also enabling dhcp trust ("interface eth 1/2/4", "dhcp snooping trust"). And when I set up the helper address ("ip helper-address 1 addr.of.host"), I see WIRED devices able to get IPs from Kea. But... I don't see wireless clients getting addresses (and therefore not finishing the association process). tcpdump from the Kea server shows the DISCOVER and OFFER; tcpdump from a wireless client even showed the REQUEST being sent, but it doesn't arrive.

Does anyone have a suggestion? Maybe something at the ubiquiti AP configuration is causing DHCP to the VLAN's VE to work, but not to get relayed? I'm sure this is a scenario that plenty of people have working, what am I missing?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Well, now I tried my luck with one of my old computers having a physical RS-232 interface on its motherboard and guess what, it prints garbage to the console (I've triple checked the connection settings).
Only thing I can offer is that you ship it to me (I'm also located in Germany) and that I have a look to find out what's wrong

hoitzed

Dec 5, 2023
Does anyone use cisco AP's on these switches? I just migrated over to this switch, and have my vlans setup, all my other wired devices are working.

The 4 APs are using mobility express, and were working prior to migration. Previous configuration was PVID 4, Tagged 100, 200, 300
Current Brocade setup is dual-mode 1/1/3 to 1/1/6, vlan 100, 200, 300 tagged.

Am I missing something else that allows them to self-discover? Thanks

rnavarro

Feb 14, 2013
I had a lot of strange IPv6 problems with the 08.x branch which were fixed by the 09.x branch; it's definitely worth a try.
Well I upgraded to 09.x branch and I'm still seeing the same issues :(:(:(:(:(:(

I guess i'll just switch to moving the L3 terminations off the switch as it's super annoying to go up and down stairs losing my IPv6 connection (which is favored)