Brocade ICX 6450 won't boot after power outage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's pretty much dead

Error while reading Base MAC from EEPROM
Unable to read CPLD revision
Unable to read Model ID

all indicate the i2c bus is fried among other things. Was it connected to outdoor PoE devices? Either those took a static hit or it sounds like the power outage had a bit of a surge or something before hand

ryantrip

May 17, 2019
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it's pretty much dead

Error while reading Base MAC from EEPROM
Unable to read CPLD revision
Unable to read Model ID

all indicate the i2c bus is fried among other things. Was it connected to outdoor PoE devices? Either those took a static hit or it sounds like the power outage had a bit of a surge or something before hand
I was not using PoE at the time. Interestingly, I had it connected to an APC UPS at the time.. I thought I had protection.... The batteries were no good however, maybe that limited my protection? How can I protect future devices from similar failures? All my other devices plugged into the UPS survived.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
batteries should have no effect on surge protection, it could have just been bad luck, it's really hard to say with ebay-sourced/used stuff like this with an unknown past. Surge protectors are also wear items, the MOVs & GDTs (if it even has any) in that UPS probably broke down a long time ago and offer little if any in the way of protection. If you want to be safe in the future you can pick up a new proper surge protector and put your gear behind it

ryantrip

May 17, 2019
I'll have to see if they make surge protectors for 240v... Welp. Thank you for the quick help. I guess I'll have to order a new device. It was the only device in my entire house to take a dump. Very strange.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
you sure there were no PoE devices hanging off it? Or even non-PoE powered outdoor ethernet devices plugged into it? I remember another member had that exact same failure mode (i2c bus dying in his 6450), and it was the PoE chip that got fried and took the bus out with it. when he opened it up there was a visible burn hole in the PoE IC

ryantrip

May 17, 2019
Yeah, I never used PoE on this device, or used it with anything outside. It was only connected to devices in the rack (located in the garage) and my RJ45 connectors throughout the interior of my house.