Anybody need a PB of storage?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
These high density storage boxes must generate enough heat to power a small town.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Need =/= want :D
You beat me to it! We have a joke in our family about need and want being the same thing. Mostly applies to shoes and clothes and the like, because.....anything that I "need"...I really need. Honest :cool:

While most NA households run predominantly on 120v, most modern housing also has 220v or 240v to power some of the larger appliances (clothes dryer,central air, pool pump, etc) in addition.

In NA, the power supply from the grid into structures is 220v. Its then stepped down to 110v for most circuits. So, 220v is hiding in the walls somewhere, its just harder to get to for some folks, like apartment dwellers. Don't let something trivial, like voltage, get in the way of something you NEED :D

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
In NA, the power supply from the grid into structures is 220v. Its then stepped down to 110v for most circuits. So, 220v is hiding in the walls somewhere, its just harder to get to for some folks, like apartment dwellers. Don't let something trivial, like voltage, get in the way of something you NEED
I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly), that most 220v that residential usage in the US is dual phase, while in places with a more "native" 220v, it be single phase (i.e. why a 220V washer/dryer from the US can't necessarily work in europe), but I could be wrong about this.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
ventilation seems especially challenging in this chassis with only pull fans. I wonder how hot the drives would get.

SparXalt

Nov 23, 2016
I was under the impression (perhaps incorrectly), that most 220v that residential usage in the US is dual phase, while in places with a more "native" 220v, it be single phase (i.e. why a 220V washer/dryer from the US can't necessarily work in europe), but I could be wrong about this.
You aren't wrong our circuits are primarily 110v, but with access to the electrical panel an electrician can run a circuit using a double pole breaker to span both sides and provide 220v Split phase, which most modern switching power supplies are happy to accommodate. I upgraded my whole UPS/rack setup to 220v due to one large server with 200-240v supplies.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I've a couple of the 102 drive ones. They are locked to Ultrastar drives in theory but older HGST drives work as to WD Reds; at least in my experience - def no Seagate! I do keep thinking one day the floor will give in and that will be the end of that :)