And so it begins... First AMD Ryzen AM4 server motherboard.

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by McKajVah, Feb 26, 2019.

1. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

I've now fixed the problem I was having with the BMC crashing every time the box POSTed.

As I stated above, I thought the issue with the IPMI NIC bonding was fixed with this board but it appears not; once I'd restored my previous IPMI NIC configuration (bonding off, IPMI NIC using a tagged VLAN) I eventually noticed that both the IPMI and the onboard NIC showed the same MAC address. Seems that when the system boots and sees the two interfaces with the same MAC, its gets its knickers in a twist and reboots IPMI.

Fix was the same as before - use the BMCMAC utility supplied by ASRock to reprogram the IPMI MAC address with an offset value. Once this was done I've had no problems with the IPMI regardless of the NIC config.

2. damienr

damienr New Member

@EffrafaxOfWug Looking at the website, they still haven't published any newer BIOS/BMC than 3.20 and 1.6 respectively.
    I imagine you procured from them direct via an open dialog re: your issues?

I'm not in a rush to update -- it has been stable with the exception of one issue that turned out to be a deteriorating NVMe drive.
    I rolled back to 1.50 from 3.20 after storage-related issues prevented ESXI boot (iirc config) -- probably could have persevered with a BIOS tweak, but will just wait for the next published BIOS/BMC updates.

3. EffrafaxOfWug

EffrafaxOfWug Radioactive Member

IPMI 1.19 and BIOS 3.25 are available on their FTP site, although as far as my systems are concerned they don't show any difference from the production versions of 1.16 and 3.20. I'm likewise in no rush to update, just tried everything there was available whilst I was figuring out the IPMI crash whilst rebooting issue.

The only thing I've needed to obtain from ASRock turned out to be the BMCMAC util to fix the IPMI NIC.

4. damienr

damienr New Member

Ah yeah I found it. Posting for reference:

ftp.asrockrack.com
    u racktsd
    p rack#123

EDIT: Removed the subdomain part since it was invalid for connecting.
    You'll be in ftproot, so just need to browse list for the x470d4u dir

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Wasmachineman_NL likes this.
  5. fridgespacer

fridgespacer New Member

It's almost unbelievable to me that asrock doesn't have TLS for their bios and bmc hosting. They just recently started providing sha256 sums of these images. Shame.

6. scline

scline Member

Has anyone gotten the PSU readings via IPMI to work? Power supply insert/duel etc stats are all blank using supermicro 920-SQ with the PDU_SMB cable hooked up to the motherboard.

7. Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL Dell Precisions FTW!

Not really a server board, but there's this: Pro WS X570-ACE | Motherboards | ASUS Global

I was thinking of picking up that board (or a Taichi) when my Crosshair VII kills itself. Then again it's ASSus so it's got garbage software and support from ASUS themselves.

8. soupyfrood

soupyfrood New Member

Anyone have issues with graphics in Linux? Specifically, Ubuntu 19.10 desktop, when gdm loads, the screen just freezes. Mouse cursor and a blank purple screen, cursor is frozen, console is completely unresponsive. I can still ssh and kill X. Happens on a clean install. GUI starts fine if I blacklist the ast video driver.

9. llowrey

llowrey Member

I finally got around to installing a 5.4 kernel and did confirm that the EDAC driver now supports zen2 Ryzen processors. I have not verified that errors are reported and handled as expected.

Code:
    EDAC MC: Ver: 3.0.0
    EDAC amd64: Node 0: DRAM ECC enabled.
    EDAC amd64: F17h_M70h detected (node 0).
    EDAC MC: UMC0 chip selects:
    EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
    EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8192MB 3:  8192MB
    EDAC MC: UMC1 chip selects:
    EDAC amd64: MC: 0:     0MB 1:     0MB
    EDAC amd64: MC: 2:  8192MB 3:  8192MB
    EDAC amd64: using x16 syndromes.
    EDAC amd64: MCT channel count: 2
    EDAC MC0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller F17h_M70h: DEV 0000:00:18.3 (INTERRUPT)
    EDAC PCI0: Giving out device to module amd64_edac controller EDAC PCI controller: DEV 0000:00:18.0 (POLLED)
    AMD64 EDAC driver v3.5.0

Code:
    # edac-util -v
    mc0: 0 Uncorrected Errors with no DIMM info
    mc0: 0 Corrected Errors with no DIMM info
    mc0: csrow2: 0 Uncorrected Errors
    mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
    mc0: csrow2: mc#0csrow#2channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors
    mc0: csrow3: 0 Uncorrected Errors
    mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#0: 0 Corrected Errors
    mc0: csrow3: mc#0csrow#3channel#1: 0 Corrected Errors

# edac-util -s