AMD Ryzen 7 Parts Available for Pre-Order Now!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I remember when amd first came out with the opteron, invented the instruction set you're probably using right now, ran rings around intel's then-current xeon line for SMP workloads and destroyed their ia64 plans. And then they pretty much disappeared from the server market because intel managed to not just keep up, but surpass them to the point amd couldn't sell enough to compete. I'd be amazed if amd can keep any daylight between them and intel for very long this time. I assume this means intel will magically make a higher core count part available cheaper, which is cool, but I don't understand how amd will sell enough to really change things in the long term--certainly they won't by sticking to the enthusiast market. Maybe in today's world they can sell enough directly to the big datacenter customers (bypassing intel's sales channels) to make the difference?

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Multi-threaded performance of 1800X vs dual E5-2670? Thinking about compute nodes with 24/7 100% utilization and power savings could be significant.

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
There was also anti-trust lawsuits against Intel so there is more to why AMD simply disappeared from the market in terms of market share than them simply being unable to compete.
Most of the antitrust stuff predated AMDs big stumbles. There was AMD not being able to deliver quad core opterons at the same moment intel delivered nehalem (solidifying its lead after abandoning netburst and catching up to AMD) and the same time the global computer market dried up. Timing is important. But AMDs also been trying to figure out what it's doing: is integrating high end graphics the goal, or ARM, or ARM/amd64 interconnects, or something else? Intel has the resources to dabble in a half dozen different (confusing) cpu lines, AMD doesn't--they need to pick one thing and hit a home run with it (every time).

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
With the 1800X I might actually be able to do the Unraid (KVM) 2 Gamers 1-pc without breaking the bank. I just wonder is the 4ghz turbo all cores? if so, each VM with 4c/8t @ 4.0ghz would work great. I did this with a E5-26xx ES but the games my wife and I play needed more single core speed than I could get from it.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@TType85 I think it is a bit below that for all core turbo. ~3.7GHz.

@gigatexal a bit more complex than that. Power consumption wise, Ryzen will win by a lot in performance/ dollar compared to dual E5-2670 V1.

Reactions: gigatexal

TType85

Dec 22, 2014
Garden Grove, CA
@TType85 I think it is a bit below that for all core turbo. ~3.7GHz.

@gigatexal a bit more complex than that. Power consumption wise, Ryzen will win by a lot in performance/ dollar compared to dual E5-2670 V1.
3.7 would still be fine, I wonder how much headroom there is for OCing. It will live under a h100i or similar liquid cooler.

Edit: depending on the OC, the 1700x may be worth it to save $100

mstone

Mar 11, 2015
I disagree. AMD had issues with their native quad-cores due TLB errata which pushed back their server and their desktop parts and caused them to miss their targets and when it was released it took a performance hit. Sure there were later revisions and steppings that fixed the TLB errata but it came much later than it should have. Nehalem was an interesting time but it was not released after Intel abandoned Netburst. It was released with Bloomfield in 2008 for HEDT and then with Xeons in early 2009.
Intel abandoned netburst with their core architecture, which made their cpus roughly competitive with the opterons, but they didn't scale worth a darn in the server space because they were still using a shared bus architecture. With nehalem they introduced QPI, which was their answer to HT and which combined with AMD's delays shipping quad core server parts effectively pushed them out of the high-end server space for a generation and they were never really able to catch up. Yeah, they pretended that barcelona wasn't a fiasco, but the reality was that vendors couldn't get the parts they needed in quantity and intel was right there promising huge gains and quantity with nehalem. Before that stumble amd had more than a quarter of the high end server market (which is incredible to remember, compared to where they are today) and after that it was a downhill slide.

AMD has the resources to do it with AM4. There is Bristol Ridge, Summit Ridge, Raven Ridge, and finally Naples. That's already several lines from HEDT to servers to APU's.
And their market share is pretty small, and they're not particularly compelling parts. Maybe vega will finally find a market for high-end integrated GPU, but right now intel has a better story for low end integrated GPUs, higher end but low-power integrated GPUs, and nobody doing high end graphics does integrated GPUs at all. So yeah, they have the resources to make some stuff, but they don't have the resources to spread their efforts around and still make really compelling stuff that people want to buy. Ryzen is their latest attempt, and it looks good, it just remains to be seen whether they can keep pushing or whether they get distracted and stumble.

The interconnects you are referring to is known as "infinity fabric" which is a HT replacement and successor.
What you're talking about is something different (and late; they were talking about a 16 core zen + integrated greenland gpu as something to be shipping last year). I'm talking about the torus interconnect stuff they bought seamicro for, before exiting that business. Even though they both use "fabric" in the name there's probably not much (if anything) that they actually got out of that deal that they're using now.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
I'm still rocking an E5-1620 V3 in my desktop after selling my 5930K.

I actually run out of RAM (16GB) in the last 3 months now more than CPU.
This is just workstation / multi-apps and occasionally a game (BF4, TF2, Etc...)

I've been debating about selling the mobo + cpu and going with an E3 v5 setup or throwing in a 1650 v3 but that seems like a waste for my desktop usage profile unless software starts using more cores efficiently.

NOW....

This AMD setup is tempting me to swing back to AMD... I think the last time I had an AMD was around 2000, and it was my 'file server' at the time, worked great and was very affordable vs. Intel iirc.

• Do you guys think the 1700 AMD will be > than the 1620 v3 in single core?
  • What about the Intel E3 v6 lineup, when should those CPUs be available?