AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Taddy27

Sep 28, 2023
I just received one of these 7302P + H12SSL-i combos from Ebay. I would like to know more about the (slim?) SAS connector on this board. It is described in the manual as JNVMe0 and SATA0~7. It can be used for SATA or NVMe, determined by a jumper setting. After some searching, I believe it is a SFF-8654 connector with 8 lanes. Is this correct?

JNVMe0.png

If I would like to attach SATA devices, I will need a SFF-8654 8x to SATA cable like this?
61ZtPUKmhSL._SL1500_.jpg
And to attach 2x M.2 NVMe, I would need an adapter like this?

61H1KjkkUqL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
and with which cable? This perhaps? (SFF-8611 8i to SFF-8654 8i)
51UjhzZbI6L._SL1100_.jpg

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I just received one of these 7302P + H12SSL-i combos from Ebay. I would like to know more about the (slim?) SAS connector on this board. It is described in the manual as JNVMe0 and SATA0~7. It can be used for SATA or NVMe, determined by a jumper setting. After some searching, I believe it is a SFF-8654 connector with 8 lanes. Is this correct?

View attachment 31894

If I would like to attach SATA devices, I will need a SFF-8654 8x to SATA cable like this?
View attachment 31895
And to attach 2x M.2 NVMe, I would need an adapter like this?

View attachment 31896
and with which cable? This perhaps? (SFF-8611 8i to SFF-8654 8i)
View attachment 31897
I bought this cable PCI-E Slimline SAS SFF-8654 8I To 8 Ports SATA hard drive conversion cable | eBay which works for sata drives. I didn't want a right angle connector, and I wanted something shorter than the supermicro cable.

Reactions: Taddy27

frigidcode

Oct 11, 2023
frank.kumro.io
I just ordered AMD EPYC 7302+Supermicro H11SSL-nc REV2.0+4*32g 3200+4u cooler from tugm4470 and it was a great experience. I've never had such fast replies from sellers on ebay. Shipping FedEx thanks to STH, it's overkill for what I need but should be fun!

Reactions: Sacrilego

erock

Jul 19, 2023
I've been replacing old 1st Gen dual socket Xeon E5s with this mobo + Epyc combo. From this vendor.

Absolutely love it.
I was initially skeptical about this vendor’s used H11DSi dual socket supermicro mobos. I am on my 3rd now and they all are working very well!

shadowplay0

Apr 13, 2023
I suppose I should chime in. Purchased a Epyc 7R13 from this vendor, finally got it fully deployed. Couldn't be happier with the performance and stability. I also did not realize it was possible to get something from China so quickly without paying an arm and a leg for shipping

s3rv3r_n00b

Feb 6, 2023
I bought an AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2.0 combo earlier this year. It features 16 cores and 32 threads at 3.0 GHz.

I'm about to upgrade the RAM... Any recommendations? By the way, I just found the Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC 32GB DDR4-2400 LP ECC Reg Server Memory for around $36 on Amazon. Will it be compatible with the motherboard?

Also, any suggestions for a PSU? The server will be running 24/7, 365 days a year, with 2 Tesla P4 GPUs.

erock

Jul 19, 2023
I bought an AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2.0 combo earlier this year. It features 16 cores and 32 threads at 3.0 GHz.

I'm about to upgrade the RAM... Any recommendations? By the way, I just found the Samsung M393A4K40BB1-CRC 32GB DDR4-2400 LP ECC Reg Server Memory for around $36 on Amazon. Will it be compatible with the motherboard?

Also, any suggestions for a PSU? The server will be running 24/7, 365 days a year, with 2 Tesla P4 GPUs.
To minimize potential quality issues I would stick to RAM on the tested memory list located on the mobo website here. That said I have had a very good experience with 3200 Supermicro compatible RAM from NEMIX on the H11SSL-I, which runs around $35 for 16GB:

MEM-DR416L-HL01-ER32 16GB Memory Compatible With Supermicro by NEMIX RAM

You can buy this on Newegg and Amazon.

Also, I would avoid any seller that does not have a return policy and lifetime warranty. Finally, make sure to perform memory tests within the return window.

Reactions: s3rv3r_n00b

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
H11SSL is ATX; any regular tower or rackmount will work. SP3 1U passive heatsinks, 2U active coolers (tugm4470 sells them), big 4U active tower coolers. IMHO CSE-826 with 2U active cooler plus the 3x80mm fanwall is a nice combination.

Reactions: oneplane

erock

Jul 19, 2023
What cases are you all using to house these setups?
If you are going with PC cases instead of server chassis to house the H11SSL-I you may want to consider the Fractal Meshify Lite case ($69 new on Amazon last time I checked) with a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsink. I also upgraded the fans to Noctua-A14 PWN 40mm Premium fans to ensure adequate airflow across the board (important for server mobo’s). The key is to get good airflow including vertical flow from the heat sink. You also have to take into account some of the non-standard screw locations associated with Supermicro mobo’s. If I remember correctly I was not able to use all of the screw locations with the Meshify Lite case and had to remove some of the standoffs.

If you go with dual socket Supermicro mobo’s like the H11DSi the Phanteks Enthoo Pro II is the best IMHO. I have been able to use these cases without modifying them for the H11SSL-i and H11DSi (i.e. I did not have to drill any new holes and all critical screws could be used). However, these cases do not come with fans so you have to factor that into your budget.

Last edited:

nickwalt

Oct 4, 2023
Brisbane
I recently had a great experience with TUGM4470 on ebay as recommended here by many. First time purchase and received everything as specified, well packaged and shipped via FedEx within 24 hours after testing on a bench. Arrived to Australia less than a week later:
- Epyc 7452 AMD EPYC 7452 Specs
- Supermicro H12SSL-i H12SSL-i | Motherboards | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
- Samsung 3200AA DDR4 RDIMM 128GB (4 x 32GB 2Rx4 sticks, all identical)
- Supermicro 4U Heatsink/Fan Supermicro 4U Active CPU Heat Sink Socket OLGA4094 (SNK-P0064AP4)

Flawless installation into a Lian Li Lancool 216 (non-RGB):
https://lian-li.com/product/lancool-216/

Purchased a 2TB Intel 670p for NAS store (passthrough to ESXi virtualised Truenas instance) and a Kingston 1TB KC3000 for boot and vm store. About to buy either an ASUS Hyper X M.2 PCIE 4.0 card and another 2TB 670p for initial setup of ZFS 2-way mirror, or two NAS/server class HDDs for a ZFS 2-way mirror using the 670p as L2ARC - with thought to expand either mirror-vDev in future.

VMware VSphere 8.0U2 (VMUG Advantage subscription/licensing) installed without any issue and detected both Kingston and Intel SSDs.

Buying into the Epyc platform was a good move. TUGM4470 was great to deal with. He was on leave the time I first reached out to him and took a day to respond but once he responded the conversation was near real-time. I will buy from him again. His pricing is competitive but not cheap - for me the entire bundle was about $200-300 AUD more than going consumer grade with AMD Ryzen 5850X on X570S, PCIE 4.0 and DDR4 non-ECC. There was only a couple of X570 boards available in Australia and none of them had reliable support of IOMMU passthrough. Reports of BIOS updates on some X570 boards causing undesirable changes to IOMMU settings and capability made going consumer even less attractive and helped buy into server class products.

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
H11SSL is ATX; any regular tower or rackmount will work. SP3 1U passive heatsinks, 2U active coolers (tugm4470 sells them), big 4U active tower coolers. IMHO CSE-826 with 2U active cooler plus the 3x80mm fanwall is a nice combination.
That older supermicro case is an interesting option, I figured the fans might not be able to supply enough but considering you can do 80mm that would provide plenty.

If you are going with PC cases instead of server chassis to house the H11SSL-I you may want to consider the Fractal Meshify Lite case ($69 new on Amazon last time I checked) with a Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 heatsink. I also upgraded the fans to Noctua-A14 PWN 40mm Premium fans to ensure adequate airflow across the board (important for server mobo’s). The key is to get good airflow including vertical flow from the heat sink. You also have to take into account some of the non-standard screw locations associated with Supermicro mobo’s. If I remember correctly I was not able to use all of the screw locations with the Meshify Lite case and had to remove some of the standoffs.

If you go with dual socket Supermicro mobo’s like the H11DSi the Phanteks Enthoo Pro II is the best IMHO. I have been able to use these cases without modifying them for the H11SSL-i and H11DSi (i.e. I did not have to drill any new holes and all critical screws could be used). However, these cases do not come with fans so you have to factor that into your budget.
Yeah, the Supermicro screwing situation is a bit.. screwy. I haven't planned my rack replacement yet so I'm not sure if it'll be racked or just towers, I currently have most systems in SC505-203B cases which is very short and light (and also has room for exactly nothing except the bare essentials) and in a rack with no rear access, so if I were to move to EYPC I'd either have to get a better rack, or do them as towers :D

random 4u server case
That seems surprisingly cheap, how are the temperatures?

thalin

Aug 15, 2023
What cases are you all using to house these setups?
Currently I'm using a Fractal Meshify 2 XL because I like having a bunch of drives. However, I am going to re-case to the Silverstone RM600 which may come out this year (I was told mid Q4 when I asked about it via an inquiry on the Silverstone website).

I am going to use the Fractal XL to house a shiny new Threadripper 7000 workstation which will be my next 5+ year desktop system, hopefully sometime early next year when all the parts come out and become moderately available. This will replace my current desktop which is an X99 with a Xeon 2698-V3 which is 9 years old now, so that will be a signigicant upgrade and I'm pretty excited about it. This year and next are gonna be my upgrade cycle for a while, which I'm looking forward to.

Reactions: Pakna and oneplane

s3rv3r_n00b

Feb 6, 2023
That older supermicro case is an interesting option, I figured the fans might not be able to supply enough but considering you can do 80mm that would provide plenty.

Yeah, the Supermicro screwing situation is a bit.. screwy. I haven't planned my rack replacement yet so I'm not sure if it'll be racked or just towers, I currently have most systems in SC505-203B cases which is very short and light (and also has room for exactly nothing except the bare essentials) and in a rack with no rear access, so if I were to move to EYPC I'd either have to get a better rack, or do them as towers :D

That seems surprisingly cheap, how are the temperatures?
CPU Temp 36C degree with room temp 23C degree

Attachments

Reactions: oneplane