AMD EPYC 7302p+ Supermicro H11SSL-i version 2

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
As a side note for anyone else, switch the power sw and reset sw.
Hmm.

It just worked for me.

But I also didn't look at the manual. When using a Supermicro case there is a ribbon cable that connects to the front panel header that is the same on every semi-recent Supermicro board.

I'm guessing it is the manual which has them reversed?

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The manual should be correct (but not your red-text overlay); power button is pins 1-2 at the end of the connector. Same as all SM front-panel headers. SSI (Intel, Tyan, etc) has a different standard pinout that puts power button on pins 11-13.

swinokur

Jul 7, 2021
Hi there,
I just wanted to chime in and say that I also purchased from @ebay tugm4470 and was really happy with the purchase process, speed of shipping, and quality of packing!

My system has been sitting on the test bed running Memtest & OCCT for a while, waiting for some other parts to arrive...

One question for y'all -- does your motherboard beeper ... beep? Mine does not. I also tried attaching a speaker to JD1, pins 4-7 and no beeps there either. (btw, 4-7 is silkscreened on the motherboard, which doesn't match the manual!)

ebay tugm4470

May 20, 2023
Hi there,
I just wanted to chime in and say that I also purchased from @ebay tugm4470 and was really happy with the purchase process, speed of shipping, and quality of packing!

My system has been sitting on the test bed running Memtest & OCCT for a while, waiting for some other parts to arrive...

One question for y'all -- does your motherboard beeper ... beep? Mine does not. I also tried attaching a speaker to JD1, pins 4-7 and no beeps there either. (btw, 4-7 is silkscreened on the motherboard, which doesn't match the manual!)
Hello my friend, this h11 series motherboard will not make any sound unless it is a high temperature alarm, and the motherboard version belongs to REV2.0

sabre66

Dec 24, 2023
Hi I also purchased tugm4470, ended up with 7302 non p. Of coarse all was well shipped and Is running great on my test situation. I do have a question though.....I update the BMC firmware to the latest through IPMI. Can I trust to due the same for the BIOS? Is the file to use for the BIOS the .rom file? if done through the IPMI. BTW I have the 64mb board. Oh I have never heard the beep but then again its in my basement Im getting old and my wife says deaf as well...LOL

Thank You.

Reactions: wildpig1234

mattlach

Aug 1, 2014
Hi I also purchased tugm4470, ended up with 7302 non p. Of coarse all was well shipped and Is running great on my test situation. I do have a question though.....I update the BMC firmware to the latest through IPMI. Can I trust to due the same for the BIOS? Is the file to use for the BIOS the .rom file? if done through the IPMI. BTW I have the 64mb board. Oh I have never heard the beep but then again its in my basement Im getting old and my wife says deaf as well...LOL

Thank You.
Not sure what it is you don't trust.

I have flashed the BIOS through the BMC. It uploads it on the next boot attempt if I recall. I vaguely remember having to go back to the BIOS update screen and select it after it was flashed, but I can't remember for sure.

As always it is a good idea to have a UPS when flashing BIOS, just in case, but it appears as if the Supermicro implementation allows for multiple staged BIOS revisions, so if it fails, it is probably not the end of the world, as you can probably just try again.

Edit: (from my BMC)

1705372742188.png

Yeah, looks like there are 4 different slots for the BIOS. BIOS, BIOS Backup, BIOS Golden and BIOS Staging.

Presumably you can switch between them (or at least move one of the other three to current BIOS) but I am not 100% sure how you do that.

Last edited:

TopQuark

Mar 7, 2018
I had fun reading this thread. My offer to tugm4470 got rejected :(. I hope I'm not 2 years too late. It looks like the pricing in the US has, finally, caught up with the prices in China. I went all local instead.

vegardx

Mar 7, 2024
I bought a similar system from inwm9492. I went with the Supermicro H11SSL-i and a clock-optimized AMD Epyc 7371. In retrospect I think I should have looked at a threadripper-based system instead. Or at least have gone for the Supermicro H11SSL-NC, as that board supports NVMe-disks on the SAS-controller. You have bifurcation (8x8, 4x4x4x4) on the PCIe-ports, so it's not a huge deal. I put a ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Card V2 in there and it boots up perfectly fine.

The stuff arrived very quickly, but it took a good two months before I found time to actually power it on, and to my dismay one of the memory sticks didn't show up during POST. I quickly chalked this down to one memory stick being of a different brand (7 Magnolia and 1 SK Hynix), and sent a message on Ebay asking about it. A few hours later I got a message back that they're really sorry, something wrong must have happened and that they've shipped a new memory stick similar to the 7 others. It arrived a couple of days later.

But it still didn't show up during POST. Turns out that the stupid was between the keyboard and the chair, and I have forgotten to remove one of the stand-offs from the case that I put the stuff in, and it shorted two pins on one of the DIMM slots. I'm a little surprised that it actually booted. By pure chance I had plugged the SK Hynix memory stick into that very slot, and concluded a little too quickly that the memory stick was the reason.

The IPMI was configured with a user called ipfsunion, so I'm guessing the systems have been used for some kind of crypto currency mining.

When it comes to updating firmware on the BMC and BIOS make sure that you do things in the right order. I've had tons of issues with this in the past on other Supermicro systems, mostly out of laziness and not reading the fine print on install.txt. There is a jumper you can short to disable the BMC so that you can boot your system and update the BIOS by other means. But if you do it in the right order you can do it all through the BMC, and it's fairly easy to obtain a license key to the BMC so unlock those features.

Reactions: Joel

osrk

Sep 2, 2019
I had fun reading this thread. My offer to tugm4470 got rejected :(. I hope I'm not 2 years too late. It looks like the pricing in the US has, finally, caught up with the prices in China. I went all local instead.
Yes unfortunately the prices for sp3 boards have gone up a lot. I got a h12ssli locally because it was cheaper but got the cpu from tugm, shipped quickly and reliably.

Idk why all these used epycs are ending up in china but I’ll take it.

vvkvvk

Feb 1, 2023
Yeah I bought local retail board because they were getting close in price, at the moment they're actually cheapr. 550 euro for fully warrantied and European consumer protected item vs. something the SM support will not help due to dubious origins is not that deal atm.

TopQuark

Mar 7, 2018
Yes unfortunately the prices for sp3 boards have gone up a lot. I got a h12ssli locally because it was cheaper but got the cpu from tugm, shipped quickly and reliably.

Idk why all these used epycs are ending up in china but I’ll take it.
CPU's are also very competitive in eBay now from US sources. One can get lucky every now and then. I scored a reasonably priced 7452. Memory is competitively priced too.

Part of the reason why so much Epycs ended in China is a result of the AMD-China joint venture agreement for x86 based CPU's. AMD must have thought it is tough to penetrate the US server market with Intel having a lock on it so they went after the 2nd largest market, China.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
CPU's are also very competitive in eBay now from US sources. One can get lucky every now and then. I scored a reasonably priced 7452. Memory is competitively priced too.

Part of the reason why so much Epycs ended in China is a result of the AMD-China joint venture agreement for x86 based CPU's. AMD must have thought it is tough to penetrate the US server market with Intel having a lock on it so they went after the 2nd largest market, China.
What kind of "reasonable" price are you talking about for a 7452? How much of a gain is the 7452 over 7551? The last 7551 I got was for around $68 each.

TopQuark

Mar 7, 2018
What kind of "reasonable" price are you talking about for a 7452? How much of a gain is the 7452 over 7551? The last 7551 I got was for around $68 each.
7551 for $68 is an excellent value. For 7452, I would say $300 is reasonable but that depends on what you plan to do with the processor. 7452 performs a bit better on all metrics but whether the difference is good enough is a matter of personal choice. For example, I went for a bit lower TDP in my case because of high electricity cost in my area and I want to add a 30W Nvidia card. I could have gotten a more powerful 7502 at a lower price at bit higher TDP but I decided to cap my TDP.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
7551 for $68 is an excellent value. For 7452, I would say $300 is reasonable but that depends on what you plan to do with the processor. 7452 performs a bit better on all metrics but whether the difference is good enough is a matter of personal choice. For example, I went for a bit lower TDP in my case because of high electricity cost in my area and I want to add a 30W Nvidia card. I could have gotten a more powerful 7502 at a lower price at bit higher TDP but I decided to cap my TDP.
Yeah, I love the valued 7551 cpu. For under $170, you can get two and get about 70% of the 7702 performance... for much cheaper than 70% of the price of a 7702 cpu....lol..