$70 Dual LAN Mini PC w/ i3-1115G4, 8GB, internal PSU

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Picked up two the other day. Robust little units - built like a tank. They have 4 HDMI outputs for digital signage applications.

My units came with
  • i3-1115G4
  • 8GB DDR4 in 2 SODIMMs
  • 256GB Kingston m.2 SATA SSD
  • Dual Intel NICs (one I211, one I219-V)
  • VESA mount
  • Internal PSU w/ 3-pin cable

There are open slots for a mini PCIe wifi card, additional mSATA storage, and a SIM card (not sure what else would be needed for cellular data). Windows is installed, along with the software from the gas station they were pulled from (whoops!). Idle in windows looked around 12W at the wall, 10W sitting at a Linux installer prompt.

The model is: Seneca's Element Smart Player
This is the datasheet for the unit: https://www.senecadata.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/12/ElementSmartPlayerSSTAALR.pdf

Beaflag VonRathburg

Dec 13, 2018
Good ole pawn shop fencing. The next cheapest listing for this same product is $129.99 OBO and they'll be happy to sell them for $69.99 because they gave some meth head who robbed an abandoned gas station $20 for all of them.

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
Thanks for sharing! Just picked up one for myself. I've been looking to move Plex to a dedicated transcoding box (none of my existing servers support QuickSync) and this looks like it'll fit the bill nicely (unless I get extremely unlucky and get one of the AMD models), but based on the fact you picked up an i3, it'd seem pretty likely I'm going to get something similar.

Reactions: Samir

semidetached

Sep 18, 2018
Reactions: Samir and myrison

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
And they're gone!

I'm genuinely curious which gas station software was loaded on them (probably for the pump ads)--was it by Wayne Dresser or Gilbarco?

XMR

Aug 28, 2017
I have bought a few but not from this seller.
Any ideas on how to fix the slow startup time? Black screen with _ symbol for about 20 seconds.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
wow that was a great deal bummed I missed it.

four HDMI ports!

is the black screen the bios startup? or even before the bios startup? I wonder if something might be outputting to one of the video outs or even a serial console.

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
wow that was a great deal bummed I missed it.

four HDMI ports!

is the black screen the bios startup? or even before the bios startup? I wonder if something might be outputting to one of the video outs or even a serial console.
Sounds to me like it's a video bios/firmware issue. I see it happen frequently when the video has only legacy firmware and initialization is skipped or vice versa when it only has uefi firmware and the system has no uefi support or it's skipped during boot.

You can usually get into the bios if you reboot from the os once the screen appears. try to reboot directly into the efi/bios settings and restore defaults.

I have a very similar unit I acquired when a restaurant went out of business. It was used for their menu display.
Too bad I missed this one.

Last edited:

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
Mine is on the way as of today. Did you have to do anything to get Linux installed on your device @semidetached or did you just use a USB stick and it worked as normal?

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
FYI, mine arrived today. Same specs as in the earlier post so the rest are probably going to be the same. The fan is a bit louder than I'd prefer, but definitely not a deal breaker as it's not going into my living room.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
Anyone know where to find bios updates for this thing?
I got mine yesterday and it's what the OP said. Already spent more on 64 GB ram kit and WiFi card. Will replace the drive and install w11.

marcoi

Apr 6, 2013
Gotha Florida
notes so far:
Windows 11 runs on it without issues. the included Windows 10 IOT license does not work on upgrading to W11.
Nvme drive works when replacing the original drive, make sure to set jumper from sata to pcie.
Its fairly quiet (at least in my server room lol)
Feel zippy for 4 core unit.
Hwinfo reports Motherboard details. Still no idea on where to get bios updates.

1704993311723.png

if anyone upgrading their units,
memory kit for 64 GB ram worked at 3200 speeds:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08H2HC87Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wifi worked and antennas fit the pre holes:

Missing drivers in windows are all intel chipset. intel driver auto install did not pick it up. I had to find it in windows catelog via pci device id.

dan81

Feb 9, 2021
i put pfsense in my seneca, like the other one said, its pretty loud, but the really noisy fan is the one above the ram (its a 5v fan), so i adapt a noctua NA-RC10 50Ω low noise adapter an conect between the fan and the conector and now i can barely hear it

Reactions: myrison

myrison

Jan 26, 2011
Awesome tip @dan81 , I'm certain I've got a few of those around. I'll probably drop one in mine as well. My system is operating under very low load so I can't imagine the reduced fan speed will matter much.