$5 Intel 100G CWDM4 QSFP28

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I bought a few of these earlier today.

Hopefully you do not have any issues with masscloseouts - they periodically have interesting things for good prices however out of 5 transactions with them - two were a total PITA. On one "the box fell off the shelf" and wasn't found for 6 weeks - they kept telling me it was USPS just being slow. On the second it took them 4 weeks to locate the item (old style DDR2 memory)...

Reactions: Samir

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
Hope not, that does sound like a pain. They seem to have a huge batch of them so maybe that'll help.

I guess all the DCs that went singlemode a few years back are upgrading to 200/400G and taking advantage of their future-proof fiber.

Reactions: *** and Samir

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Hope not, that does sound like a pain. They seem to have a huge batch of them so maybe that'll help.

I guess all the DCs that went singlemode a few years back are upgrading to 200/400G and taking advantage of their future-proof fiber.
Wouldn't you? if you had the budget for 200/400G? :p

edit - oh and thanks for the post! I'm going to take a "cheap" gamble on the seller since the price is low and pick up a handful.

wifiholic

Mar 27, 2018
Well, I didn't know I needed a couple 10 of these, but I bought one lot from this other seller. I'll try to remember to report back on how it goes...

mattventura

Nov 9, 2022
Hopefully you do not have any issues with masscloseouts - they periodically have interesting things for good prices however out of 5 transactions with them - two were a total PITA. On one "the box fell off the shelf" and wasn't found for 6 weeks - they kept telling me it was USPS just being slow. On the second it took them 4 weeks to locate the item (old style DDR2 memory)...
I've had similar hit-or-miss. One time they had a transceiver that was mis-labeled (40GBASE-PLR4 or something else with an MPO connector listed as 40GBASE-LR4). I talked to them about it and they refunded me, but they took their sweet time on correcting the listing. Be sure to check the exact model number rather than just relying on the description/title.

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
There is no guarantee, but usually compatibility depends on your switch. Some switches (like Dell Z9100) may require SFP reprogramming (There are people on this forum who can do this)

Some switches, like Mellanox require running some kind of command to unlock off-brand SFPs, then they will work.

Other switches, like a Celestica Seastone DX010 (which I run) should run them straight away. I've tried a lot of brands and never had one not work, no special commands needed.

So it's usually the switch that "decides" whether to allow it to run or not. But there is no guarantee, you never know with these things. One batch of SFPs could have some special HPC programming, who knows.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Terrible experience with this seller. First sent wrong items. Then had almost 2 months back and forth discussions and not nice email conversation regarding refund or another shipping with correct items. Seller was not honest at all and made false statements about delivery, just lying all the time. Case had to be solved by eBay. Not fun.

Reactions: itronin

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Theses transceivers popped up in my ebay search the other day (I set it up after reading a post from @fohdeesha mentioning "cheap as dirt" ;D transceivers in one of the threads about 100gbe and lc).
But will stay away from this seller after reading the posts here.

Does anyone know the differences between the different skus?
SPTSBP2CLCKS
SPTSBP2CLCKU
SPTSBP2CLCDF (from a sth mainsite post with hi res photos :D)

ano

Nov 7, 2022
most of them work, but on a set of 100, 20 will be defective ish

they also have a low temp threshold.

seller has some insane deals at times, but weird at times

klui

Feb 3, 2019
@fohdeesha was referring to the KAIAM LR4Ls.

These work the same. I can't find anything about the CKUs.

...2CLCKSs and ...2CLCCOs are 500m
...2CLCDFs 500m
...3CLCDFs and ...3CLCCO are 2km
...4CLCDFs are 10km

Bought a box of 2CLCKS last year from eBay eSISO, no fuss. Many other sellers have these.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Here's an article about these modules

They're inexpensive probably because these are the first modules, released in 2017, with on-silicon photonics and probably have longevity issues running in a normal data center. They have a wide temperature range module released in 2019. Newer modules were released in 2020.

grenskul

Nov 8, 2020
I've bought stuff from these guys before. JUST DONT

1st time they sent me the wrong item (they sent me something more expensive but sadly not what I needed). They refunded me and the item I needed gets its listing taken down the next day.

2nd they sent me a massive box (like the ones you ship 4U servers in) for 15 sfp+ transceivers(I'm in the EU and they charged me 20$ for shipping, they lost money on that order for sure) and literally all of them had had fabric trimmings (garbage) in the optics. They were loose in that box btw. I just ignored what they said and escalated to ebay who promptly gave me my money back.

Both times I kept the items but the first were useless to me and given away and the second was unusable without having a way to clean them without scratching (success rate 1/8 and I gave up)

3rd time cause I had forgotten the seller everything went fine and I got what I ordered in the expected time.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
they are total hit miss, they shipp genuine 40gig arista for $2, and dodgy stuff for much more

Reactions: fohdeesha

DavidWJohnston

Sep 30, 2020
We'll see what happens. For the price I'm willing to accept the risk of getting garbage in a box and a refund hassle. I've never left or received negative feedback before and I've been on eBay 20 years. Good behavior is incentivized in the free market, but good help is hard to find.

I have faith in the great material continuum.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Just back from a trip and the package is here waiting for me. I have a switch (2 ports, ICX7650). But I guess I need to get some cards and some SMF patches. Recommendations on "inexpensive" cards?