15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
That is weird. Do you have another set of speakers you can try? If I remember correctly, Windows will show a red x on the taskbar speaker icon if there are no speakers detected. Worth checking to see if mute is on also.

Reactions: Samir

Spiderman

Apr 1, 2022
That is weird. Do you have another set of speakers you can try? If I remember correctly, Windows will show a red x on the taskbar speaker icon if there are no speakers detected. Worth checking to see if mute is on also.
It's so weird! I'm testing using Debian, Window 10, and ThinLinux .. As of now:
Unit 1: BIOS 1.0K - Sounds only comes through DP/HDMI in all systems as if the other output is completely absent!
Unit 2: BIOS 1.0K - Both outputs present in all three systems but headphones/speaker doesn't work and produce weird static noises so I have to manually change output to DP/HDMI or mute it!

It's extremely minor issue and doesn't interfere with the purpose intended (Linux Server) but I'm a bit annoyed by such random malfunctions !!

edusico

Jul 7, 2022
Hello guys. I bougth the 5060 and I'm waiting for delivery.

Doubt: do I need dummie displayport plug to use without monitor?

Thanks!

wenestvedt

Feb 11, 2022
Little Rhodey, USA
Any other 2.5" SSDs known to fit when shucked? Thanks!
I bought an inexpensive Kingston SSD and it fit neatly into the 5060.

The giant web store calls it "Kingston 240GB A400 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD SA400S37/240G - HDD Replacement for Increase Performance" and I think I paid US$21 for a 240GB drive.

The Debian installer happily used the SSD, so it will probably work with Windows, too. I haven't measured the read/write speed because...well, if I cared about maximum performance, I wouldn't be running a retired thin client! :7)

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Best I could find was a 64GB and then I had to grind off a corner for it to fit. I bought an SATA extension cable and tried a regular SSD but the bulk cut down the air flow and it over heated. Since it's running Linux, 64GB is fine.

gingerbeardman

Aug 27, 2022
Cornwall, England
Looking for some advise now that this little thing is ready to work for me.

I have an M1 Mac so can no longer run my old Intel VMware VMs on it easily. So the idea is to run something on the Wyse to host VMs.

My initial attempt was to install Debian and VMware Workstation which was relatively easy and worked and allowed me to access the VMs over VNC. But it's not good enough, awkward to transfer files etc.

So, what next... ESXi? Proxmox? in VMware or on hardware?

Any recommendations? I am new to hosting VMs this way.

Maybe this is better in its own topic? Let's see.

gingerbeardman

Aug 27, 2022
Cornwall, England
All done, added 16GB (2x8GB) sticks and it's running EXSi 6.7 (plus driver) very nicely.

Performance in a VM of Windows 7 32-bit is roughly the same as how that VM ran on my Intel Mac mini.

I'm using Ventoy to boot into other Live distro, such as Batocera.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
All done, added 16GB (2x8GB) sticks and it's running EXSi 6.7 (plus driver) very nicely.

Performance in a VM of Windows 7 32-bit is roughly the same as how that VM ran on my Intel Mac mini.

I'm using Ventoy to boot into other Live distro, such as Batocera.
What is the performance like for Batocera on the 5060?

mr_rudy

Oct 4, 2022
Good People of Internet,

This is to let you know that Goodram SSDPR-CX400-128-G2 fits the slot, after some minor adjustments. Of course you need to remove it from the plastic cover (start from the opposite side of where the SATA port is and use the exactly needed amount of force ;). My advice is to use isolation tape to protect the drive especially from the bottom as it touches the SMT elements. Also, do not use too much force on the screws of the front panel so you won't break the drive PCB. Coincidentally it fits in a way that it neatly secures the drive. As with previous reports you need to cut a little bit the metal RAM cover, which is rather an easy task.

On the other side I wanted to report that the SATA to MSATA converter did not work for me. Not sure why. I have BIOS 1.0A and gave up updating it after unfair fight for hours with different versions of bin. If someone had similar situation and update of the BIOS helped I'd be grateful for letting me know.

take care

Attachments

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

ratticon

Dec 9, 2022
Hi guys .. Wondering if anyone could help :( .. I have updated the BIOS to 1.0K using Dell USB imaging but onboard sound stopped working completely! Did I do something wrong?!
Exact same thing happened to me. Not sure why. I've re-checked the seating of the little onboard speaker and can't find anything wrong.
I went from 1.0A -> 1.0K and it stopped working. No POST beep any more :rolleyes:

Update: I bought a second used Wyse 5060 and tried 1.0F -> 1.0J - Sound stopped working after that too.
Tried toggling audio on and off, and tried all variants of resume after power loss. No POST beeps.

Last edited: