Search results

1. schmookeeg

FS: [US] Dell R330 1U E3-1270v5 / 64GB / 40TB

Hello STH, I just decommissioned a Dell R330 server from Quadranet Los Angeles. I don't really know what to do with it, so offering it here before it's off to eBay :) This was a citrix machine and spent its entire life at Quadranet. I still have receipts in my email from April 2017 if you're...
  2. schmookeeg

Noob with a new ConnectX-4 -- transceiver to 1GbE question

Hi gang, I am in the process of upgrading our 5 year old R330 Dell box to something two notches better -- an R740XD. This new server comes with a pair of ConnectX-4 NICs on an OCP card. I use QSFP+ at home, but only point-to-point (thanks to STH forums, this was pretty painless! :) ) -- but I...
  3. schmookeeg

Lowest hassle, highest speed point to point networking?

Hello, I'm impatient with my 10GBe network and workstation to NAS copying speeds. :) I have: Windows 10 workstation (i7-7700K) Centos 7 NAS (Xeon D 1541) with SSD and spinners. Would like to link the two with something higher speed. Prefer low-headache. Is it as simple as grabbing a pair...
  4. schmookeeg

Thunderbolt 3 on a Dell 3620

Hello, Unusually -- a workstation question. My servers are well-behaved. :D I wanted a TB3 port on my desktop so I could shuffle some MacOS VMWare VMs between desktop and laptop without enduring the file copy. (they're 125GB apiece, I have 3 that I work with frequently). My old box (Dell XPS...
  5. schmookeeg

FS: Xeon D-1541 Barebones w/ 64GB ECC

tl;dr: Xeon D-1451, Case, 500W, Zero Ram, 2 P128 SSDs and 1 HGST 2TB HDD: $850 USD Above + 64GB (2x32GB sticks) Samsung DDR4 ECC RAM: $1400 USD Intel X540-T2: $140 Includes conus shipping/insurance. == Hello, I have consolidated this box + a NAS box into a little SuperMicro 5028D Server...
  6. schmookeeg

Dell R730xd on eBay?

Hello, I'm in the market for a server replacement at my colo that underpins a pile of VM environments. I keep finding this server, and it keeps clawing at my mind -- what am I missing at this price? I need the 12x3.5" backplane so I'm not a buyer for this specific box (although I've tried to...
  7. schmookeeg

FS: Decomissioning NAS (Dual E5620s, 6x2TB, Case/goodies)

Hello, I have a box I'm tired of staring at, unpowered and unloved. Someone wants this thing, I think, maybe? :) I tried to post it on reddit hardware swap, but the mods want me to "timestamp" the sticks of ram, cpus after pulling sinks, etc -- ain't nobody got time for that. This ran great 2...
  8. schmookeeg

E5-4650 vs E5-4655v4

Hello, I'm shopping Dell R820/R830 boxes for a project I have, and these two chips seem to pop up a lot in Dell Servers. (I play on Dell Outlet a lot, for grins) Trouble I'm having is -- the E5-4655v4 looks like the worst value Xeon ever to me. :) Am I missing something about it? The old...