Lowest hassle, highest speed point to point networking?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by schmookeeg, Nov 20, 2018.

1. schmookeeg

schmookeeg New Member

Hello,

I'm impatient with my 10GBe network and workstation to NAS copying speeds. :)

I have:

Windows 10 workstation (i7-7700K)

Centos 7 NAS (Xeon D 1541) with SSD and spinners.

Would like to link the two with something higher speed. Prefer low-headache. Is it as simple as grabbing a pair of Mellanox ConnectX-4 cards and the right cable?

I basically spend a lot of time archiving VMWare machines which come in 100GB lumps. Would love to speed up the process.

Are there other options? It's end of year and I have budget to burn, so "reasonable" cost no object. About a grand would be my max. Have X16 slots at both ends available.

Cheers for any ideas,

- Mike

2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

1. buy 2x $30 649281-B21 (search ebay for this string) NICs (40gbe mellanox connectX3's) and flash them with the appropriate fw using this: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...net-dual-port-qsfp-adapter.20525/#post-198015

2. grab a cable to go between them, assuming 60ft is long enough 20m AOC-Q-Q-40G-20M Arista Networks Compatible 40G QSFP+ Active Optical Cable | eBay

3. configure each card so they have a static IP in some unused private subnet like 172.16.100.0/24 and no gateway so they don't interfere with your regular traffic

4. send me the remaining $900 in your budget

cactus, niekbergboer, mattaw and 3 others like this.
  3. kapone

kapone Active Member

Seriously, do it. He deserves it. :)

mattaw, fohdeesha and nthu9280 like this.
  4. schmookeeg

schmookeeg New Member

Hmm... I suppose flashing 2 firmwares is worth the savings.. Will read up on the other thread, thanks. :)

5. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

well, you can buy the connectx3/4 cards that come with 40gb enabled by default, but even then you'll need to run through that same process to get their firmware updated (they usually come with ANCIENT fw). my philosophy is, if you have to do it, might as well go with the way cheaper one

6. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

You can also get the x16 100G cards but unless both ends are actually able to support this disk wise you'll be off no better than with the 40G cards (for a much lower budget). CX3's should be supported widely even if they are more or less EOL, but at that price you can simply get a new one if one fails.

maes and fohdeesha like this.
  7. schmookeeg

schmookeeg New Member

Okay the CX3 route "just flippin worked", which I love. Thanks again.

What is the current thought on a matching switch for these cards? Say in the 16 port range? ... for when I outgrow the point to point situation. :)

8. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

9. _alex

_alex Active Member

If you are happy flashing/hacking hw - Look for an emc sx6018 and the corresponding thread here. Can do 56G Ethernet with the cx3 and the right cabling for an unbelievable price with very low power draw, but requires some serious work, so not really plug and play.