Thunderbolt 3 on a Dell 3620

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

schmookeeg

Mar 25, 2016
Alameda, CA
www.msxpert.com
Hello,

Unusually -- a workstation question. My servers are well-behaved. :D

I wanted a TB3 port on my desktop so I could shuffle some MacOS VMWare VMs between desktop and laptop without enduring the file copy. (they're 125GB apiece, I have 3 that I work with frequently). My old box (Dell XPS 8920) had the TBT traces on the motherboard, but no pins, so I assume no bios support either. In my finite wisdom, I figured the best thing to do was to move my CPU and junk into a barebones Dell Precision 3620. which I grabbed from eBay.

So I moved my i7-7700K, RAM, drives, vidcard, and PSU into this new box. I put in an ASUS Thunderbolt EX3 AIC. Thunderbolt was working in a snap, nice, life was good, my external storage was nice and fast.

After scratching around and comparing performance between my old Z270 and the new C236 chipsets, I noticed that SMT was disabled in the bios. I enabled it. Hyperthreading was back, but I lost the thunderbolt completely. This sent me n a driver/bios/software update frenzy with no luck.

I verified this is an issue by flipping hyperthreading on and off in the bios. Maddeningly, I can have either Thunderbolt 3 OR hyperthreading, but not both.

Any ideas what this could be? Do I assume it's a bug in the Dell BIOS? I thought it was the CPU but Dell sells this box with a 7700K so it's not that.

Is it possibly the ASUS add in card, and i should go find the dell version?

I want my fake cores back. I actually notice their absence in VMWare workstation :)

Appreciate any ideas on what on earth is going on, or what to try next. glitch in dell bios?

Cheers,

- Mike