Search results

1. G

FS: Ubiquiti Unifi basic setup (cloudkey, switch, router)

Price drop. Would rather sell it to a new home labber here than on a generic computing forum!
  2. G

FS: Ubiquiti Unifi basic setup (cloudkey, switch, router)

Have upgraded to the big rackmountable stuff and just want this to go to a good home. EdgerouterX Original Cloudkey with a mini SD card US-8-60W Security Gateway Includes relevant power cords/bricks. Includes bonus LR-AP which I haven’t used in forever so no promises its working. $75 shipped...
  3. G

FS (PA, US): Lenovo workstation servers (D30, S30) with tons of RAM

Thanks. They've both been really great boxen. Good point about the CPUs--can go way faster on these if needed. For my purposes, massive RAM was way more useful than PassMark scores so I never bothered.
  4. G

FS (PA, US): Lenovo workstation servers (D30, S30) with tons of RAM

Lenovo Thinkstation D30: 2x E5-2603 $300 + RAM + shipping Lenovo Thinkstation S30: 1x Xeon E5-1620 $100 + RAM + shipping Working well, just don't need this kind of capacity at home any more. Amazing home servers--load them up with RAM and SSDs to your heart's content. I have gobs of 16GB...
  5. G

Updated: 01-23-23 -NVMe SSDs!

Hello, are your ~4gb PM883a’s still available? YGPM.
  6. G

Lenovo ThinkStation P series vs Dell Precision 7820 for high-RAM workstation: Heat and noise?

I'm purchasing a workstation for my number crunching. The options through my institution are Lenovo vs Dell. I need a minimum of 192GB RAM, ideally in some format that's easily upgradable in the future to 384GB or beyond. Single core performance trumps total compute power across all cores...
  7. G

FS (US): ECC DDR3 UDIMM Bonanza! [COMPLETE]

Sorry for the slow replies. I've sold the 8GB DIMMS and realized I want to keep the 4's for the 3 remaining servers I have that still need UDIMMS.
  8. G

Have a server that takes RDIMMS coming in so time to downgrade my TS140's RAM to fund it.
  9. G

Choosing a new HBA for Proxmox in IBM x3650 M3

I have a IBM x3650 M3 with M5015 RAID controller (running stock firmware) , which sees disks just fine in the controller's bios but then when booting Proxmox fails to recognize any disks, as I detailed here: Proxmox 5.1 and M5015? Updating the M5015 seems to be a giant pain in the neck and...
  10. G

Preliminaries: All prices include shipping unless otherwise noted. I have perfect beerology and heatware feedback under "linuxizer". I'm not home a ton and it may take a week or so to ship these out. Please let me know if you have any deadlines. ~~ Synology DS112 (will come empty). Light use...
  11. G

Lab planning (statistics and machine learning heavy)

In general, 100MB to 20GB of stuff gets loaded into RAM at the start, computed on for a few hours or more in RAM, and then a few GB written to disk. I had a huge speedup in my workflow when I went to SSD from spinning disks on my desktop. So 10GbE would be very nice. I can save on the hub by...
  12. G

Lab planning (statistics and machine learning heavy)

Budget: $2K Rackspace: This will be hosted in a university rack, space will be more limited than power consumption. Will have at least 4-5U, maybe as much as 10U. 1x1GbE internet hookup. Immediate use: Single-person, high-memory computations Future use: Would be nice if it would scale to a 4-5...
  13. G

Proxmox 5.1 and M5015?

The next message I get after choosing "Install" on the initial Proxmox install menu is "no hard disk found." Both drives are visible in the M5015's BIOS. The spinner is a Fujitsu MHZ2160BH--consumer SATA. The Intel is one of the 313 20GB's you pointed us to last week (thanks for that!). What...
  14. G

Proxmox 5.1 and M5015?

I'm having trouble installing Proxmox 5.1 VE on an IBM X3650 M3 with M5015 controller. I've tried two drives now, one SAS spinner and one Intel SSD. Both are seen when I poke around the M5015 boot controller on startup. Neither is seen by Proxmox. Is this just a driver thing? Should I try an...