Lenovo ThinkStation P series vs Dell Precision 7820 for high-RAM workstation: Heat and noise?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gsk3

Sep 13, 2017
I'm purchasing a workstation for my number crunching. The options through my institution are Lenovo vs Dell. I need a minimum of 192GB RAM, ideally in some format that's easily upgradable in the future to 384GB or beyond. Single core performance trumps total compute power across all cores.

This will sit in my office so important it's quiet and coolish. I have a DDR3-based Lenovo D30 and S30 at home that would be perfectly fine in terms of noise and heat, for reference.

Likely leaning strongly towards Dell because they will support Ubuntu LTS which is what I run, and because they have an option for a Tera2 which seems interesting enough for true remote access.

The most important question: If I park a 7820 or P920 in my office, will I regret it in terms of noise?

Would likely go with something like a single Xeon Silver 4112 or 4208, 6x 32GB RAM, a boot SSD plus a 4 disc SSD array running ZFS. Then could add second proc if I need more RAM down the line.

Any other thoughts on Dell vs Lenovo workstations obviously welcome.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Most of the workstations including the ones you listed are designed with noise in mind and are reasonably quiet, that said if you're maxing the thing out it will be noticeable noise wise.

Based off this review: Lenovo ThinkStation P920 Tower Workstation Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews the P920 is extremely quiet even under load.
On the Dell side make sure you stick with the older bios on the 7820 the newer releases raise the minimum RPM after 1.7.1: Solved: Precision 7820 BIOS update fans run fast - Dell Community