Search results

1. tjk

RIP Juniper...

https://blogs.juniper.net/en-us/driven-by-experience/juniper-networks-to-combine-with-hpe-accelerating-ai-native-networking-leadership HPE, where good tech companies go to die.
  2. tjk

Wholesaler for used servers?

Anyone have a good wholesaler they use to move lots of servers, preferably someone that will come on-site to our DC in Northern VA and package up the gear? I've got 150+ SMC and GB Dual Epyc (dual 7542 and 7H12 Procs), with 1T and 2T Ram systems I am looking to get rid of.
  3. tjk

WTB 1.92Tb SATA SSD - Enterprise Class - Samsung, Micron, etc

Hey All, Looking for qty 20 of 2.5" SATA SSD's, enterprise class stuff. Older is fine as long as the health is good (> 90%) and smart data hasn't been wiped. Thanks!
  4. tjk

Arista EOL'd switches and firmware

Hey All, Is there a way to tell the last version of code as well as 2G/4G firmware limits? Looking for some pure layer 2 10G SFP+ switches that can take a more recent code, maybe 4.25+ or newer. Thanks!
  5. tjk

Bare Metal Provisioning - MaaS, Something else?

Hey Folks, Just curious what tools you are all using for bare metal provisioning? Looking for something that can handle provisioning across multiple locations. Haven't played with MaaS in a couple of years, just curious if this is still a decent tool and has been kept updated.
  6. tjk

PCIe to dual U.2 NVME cards?

Anyone have experience with a PCIe Gen 4 x16 to Dual U.2 NVME adapter card? Have some 1U servers I need to add NVME to and I have empty FHFL PCIe Gen5 x16 slot's that I was hoping I could populate. Thanks!
  7. tjk

Micron 9200 NVME firmware

Anyone know the latest version of FW for these? I'm logged into the Micron site, and they only have 9300 and newer firmware available. TIA!
  8. tjk

Asus vs Gigabyte Epyc Servers

Hey All, Looking at single socket EPYC builds and have been looking at the following systems: Gigabyte R162-ZA2 Asus RS500A-E11-RS12U Needs are AMD 7443P Prox, 256G Ram 3200 and 8 to 10 U2 NVME Drives. Just curious if anyone has any experience on either of these systems or a better...
  9. tjk

NUC Like Server?

Hey Folks, I've been testing a few of the https://store.minisforum.com/products/hx90 for a purpose built application I am working on, but it is missing two things: 1. IPMI/OOB Port 2. 10G Interface I'd like to find something pre-built if I can, but also happy to build my own if I have to...
  10. tjk

10G stackable switches

Hey Folks, I've got a lot of Brocade 7750-48f switches deployed and love em! However, they are getting hard(er) to find used for decent pricing. What is a good alternative for a 48 port SFP+ switch that still gets software patches on em? Need it to be either stackable or have a solid MCLAG...
  11. tjk

Proxmox and ZFS on host node

Hey Folks, Doing some testing of using ZFS and zvols on the host node vs NFS based storage and seeing horrible performance. Further details here ZFS on host node high CPU and system load Just curious if anyone is running Proxmox with local ZFS/zvols and seeing the same sort of high cpu/load...
  12. tjk

Ryzen Servers

I'm working on building out some Ryzen 9 5950X servers, I have a few of the ASrock Rack 1U4LW-X570/2L2T and they are OK systems, I need RPSU's but they've been out of stock forever, and I don't need 4x SATA hot swap. So, I was thinking just get the mobo in that server X570D4U-2L2T and find a 1U...
  13. tjk

Arista bought Untangle

As a Valued Partner of Untangle, we are pleased to share that Untangle Holdings, LLC. is now part of Arista Networks.... Interesting purchase for sure. Better Arista than Palo imo.
  14. tjk

LGA 1700 Alder Lake "Servers"

I know some of the bigger hosting companies like OVH and Hetzner are building their own Alder Lake servers, just curious if anyone is aware of any company offering pre-built systems around the 12900k/Alder Lake procs? Desktop class CPU, I know...special use case where I'm OK not having a server...
  15. tjk

Supermicro X10DRH-C

Hey Folks, Have this in a 2u 24x2.5" SMC chassis. It can see all the SAS hdd's in the bios, but it says it is limiting support to only the 1st 16 drives, and shows the other drives as blocked. SMC says to contact them for more then 16 drive support, anyone know how to enable the on-board 3108...
  16. tjk

Megatrands....

Wow Dell and/or AMI file a take down already? :D
  17. tjk

Protectli like with 10G interfaces?

Hey Folks, Just curious if anyone knows of any small systems like Protectli or QOTOM make, but with 2x10G interfaces on them? I see OPNSense folks released one - DEC800 Series – OPNsense® Desktop Security Appliances – OPNsense® Shop but I can't find that anywhere else in the market, not sure...
  18. tjk

Server or Chassis for SAS and Sata with screw less design?

Hey All, We have to test a large number of HDD's on a regular basis before they go into production. Is anyone aware of a 12, 24, or greater 3.5" and/or 2.5" chassis where we can just "drop" the HDD's in and not deal with screwing them into a sled?
  19. tjk

Brocade 6650

Hey, Does anyone know if the 6650 can be stacked? The (few) docs I can find online lead me to believe it cannot be stacked, however the pictures of the switch show 40gb QSFP ports in the back, wondering if you can stack via those. Thanks!
  20. tjk

Bricked Mellanox NICs how to recover?

Hey All, I was updating a bunch of Mellanox ConnectX-3 EN dual port cards, all was fine, it told me old version it was going to put new fw on them, etc.... Completed ok without errors, but now the card can't been seen by the OS (Linux or Windows), even after cold booting the server/power...