Server or Chassis for SAS and Sata with screw less design?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by tjk, Jun 28, 2019.

1. tjk

tjk Active Member

Hey All,

We have to test a large number of HDD's on a regular basis before they go into production. Is anyone aware of a 12, 24, or greater 3.5" and/or 2.5" chassis where we can just "drop" the HDD's in and not deal with screwing them into a sled?

2. Spartacus

Spartacus Active Member

Not sure on their quality or cost but AIC uses a tray that is a snapin format (it has screw holes if you need to secure them better):
    Their list of tool less chassis are here:PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC

Specifically per your request though:
    24 bay 2.5" - PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC
    24 bay 3.5"- PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC
    36 bay 3.5"- PRODUCTS-OEM, ODM and COTS Server, Storage and Chassis Solutions - AIC

3. Michael Hall

Michael Hall Member

I've got a surplus Backblaze Pod 1.0 case. They're top-loading, 45-bay, and the drives just drop in, with rubber bands around them to stop them vibrating. They use 5-port SATA port multiplier backplanes, so need compatible (non-Intel) SATA controllers. I can't remember if I've got a full set of backplanes and controllers, but I can check. PM if you're interested.

4. i386

i386 Well-Known Member

We have at work for sata 3.5 devices adapters like these:
    [​IMG]

For 2.5" sas/sata devices I would get a supermicro chasis for 3.5" hdds and use trays with the part# MCP-220-00118-0B: