~50 USD Seagate 12TB Exos X14 SATA (Possible Scam)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rcm024

Feb 6, 2020
Warning! This "deal" reeks of being some sort of scam! I will report back my findings when they arrive, but if you jump on this, do so under your own risk!

First off, the drives are being sold as new for an extremely low price. They are listed as coming from China, but are being sold for $66.99 CAD(approx $50 USD). The listing consistently adds 1-2 new drives to the listing every day or so as they "sell out." See below:

1712548327062.png

I ordered 2 of them on 3/20 and got tracking info on 3/21 and you can see in the below image the tracking details since then:

1712548512981.png

The tracking is through some all Chinese site that I have to use chrome's page translation feature to use so not sure how accurate or trustworthy it is.

With all of this said, it screams at being some sort of scam to me but I took the chance since eBay has pretty good buyer protections. I will report back here when and if they arrive and are/are not as described, but as far as I'm concerned, right now anyone looking at these should be highly skeptical of their authenticity/existence.

Edit 1: Forgot to mention that the seller's feedback looks sketchy af as well:

1712550068991.png

If after reading all of the above you are still interested in snagging some as they become available, you can find the listing here.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2bluesc

MountainBofh

Mar 9, 2024
The scam is that they're "re-certified" drives being sold as new. Look closely at the picture on the ebay auction.

Seagate 12TB Exos X14 SATA 6Gb/s 7200RPM Enterprise HDD — ST12000NM0538 - Picture 1 of 7

I'm willing to bet these are beat to shit drives with a lot of hours on them.

piranha32

Mar 4, 2023
Reactions: rcm024

rcm024

Feb 6, 2020
The scam is that they're "re-certified" drives being sold as new
Even for re-certified, they are too cheap which is why I will check them out when they arrive and report back

I'm not trying to defend the seller (the listing does look sketchy), but not listing entire stock at once seems to be a strategy to bypass some kind of ebay limits. See this post for more detailed explanation: https://forums.servethehome.com/index.php?threads/inspur-branded-lsi9300-8i-for-50.39768/post-373713
Could very well be the case. Good to point that out.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
Pretty sure this is a scam. I've fall in the similar trap last year. OP can try this link for your parcel:

You'll notice the weight is 5 gram. Last year I received a stem cap.

is39

Oct 5, 2022
SF Bay Area
I'd get HGST Ultrastar HE12 12TB from Serverpartdeals instead for $80.
Those are better drives; plus SPD does not wipe SMART, provides 1 year warranty and you do not need to wait up to a month for delivery.
Those Ultrastars have being running for ~4 years - but there is no data at all about the Seagates.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
yeah sorry bro, I don't think you're going to get a package at all. or at least not a hard drive.

xulion

Aug 30, 2023
yeah sorry bro, I don't think you're going to get a package at all. or at least not a hard drive.
I think the scammer's strategy is to stall as long as they can. Last time I received a package with wrong address (house # are rearranged). Somehow USPS figured how to deliver it to me. The package has a stem cap in it. I guess the scammer will use the time to get deposit from eBay and move money away.

I got refund from eBay's money back guarantee eventually (wasted time of mine).

Reactions: blakwolf

Irishdave

Nov 24, 2023
Always good to look at feedback and read comments,He has only sold crappy low dollar items to get feedback, before he goes for the kill,Never sold computer hardware previously ! suspect but who knows only those who are willing to risk

Sacrilego

Now with more RGB!
Jun 23, 2016
Let us know how it goes. For a moment I thought there was a typo where it said Topyou instead of To you lol

Koop

Jan 24, 2024
The scam is that they're "re-certified" drives being sold as new.
As rcm said even at $50 "re-certified" drives this would be a great deal. 10TB HGST he10 drives sell for about $70 currently.

Got to love that 1 month wide shipping window. I'm just sad I may have to wait that long to get an update on this lol. I'm gripping my seat for the grand finale.