Recent content by tullnd

1. T

LSI SAS3008 update/EFI Shell issue, navigating to USB

So, as I figured, this was something simple that we were overlooking. He wasn't typing the ':' when navigating to the USB drive (i.e. just 'fs5', not 'fs5:'). The troubles of helping someone remotely. We got it updated to 16.00.10 fine. Still won't detect his Seagate 22TB EXOS Sata drive...
  2. T

LSI SAS3008 update/EFI Shell issue, navigating to USB

Hello, I've read multiple threads here covering updating the firmware on an LSI card and feel I have the basics down. I'm assisting a neighbor updating his Supermicro card to a newer firmware (has a new Seagate 22tb that works on mobo sata, but not detected on the SAS card, which is firmware...
  3. T

SC836 Rail issue

I have a Compellent/SC836 chassis. I'm finally getting around to mounting it in a rack since I'm about to have a finished room in the basement. Unit was purchased used, came with rails. I'm having trouble getting the right inner rail to slide into the outer rail. The black plastic end...
  4. T

Windows domain logon, automatically launch an associated VM by username?

Hi, I'll preface this by stating: I'm not a systems admin or directly involved in IT anymore. I've been on the periphery for years and really not all that familiar with ESXI/HyperV and more advanced windows AD administration. Is it possible to configure a Windows AD server via group policy or...
  5. T

Dual ISP load balancing (with EdgeRouter)

Static routes can help...but honestly, what about my other question? What kind of service is this? DSL or cable? Or something that doesn't really need a "modem"? If so, just don't use their router. Let the Edgerouter be the device that receives the IP. Long term, that'd be the better...
  6. T

Dual ISP load balancing (with EdgeRouter)

Depends what you mean by DHCP. DHCP server needs to be on in the EdgeRouter if you want it to hand out DHCP addresses to the devices behind it(i.e. your local LAN). Now, ETH1 and ETH2 on the EdgeRouter, if defined to be WAN ports, can individually be set statically or configured as a DHCP...
  7. T

Upgrade to 10GB - How?

Which ones depends on OS level support. If you can find one model that all your OS's offer full support for, I'd buy two of those SFP+ cards. If you have to mix, make sure you look up information that people have successfully interconnected those two models before(not necessarily on the same...
  8. T

Upgrade to 10GB - How?

Depends. Are you linking devices that are close by? In which case, SFP+ ports connected via DAC seems to be the easiest and usually most cost-effective solution. How many devices do you need to connect? Do you really even need a switch? Also, the OS involved may be an issue with support...
  9. T

Help! Is this a great deal? Is it worth it? SM Chassis

SAS2 what? I'm assuming you mean backplane. Is it a TQ? A single channel expander? The dual expander? If it's not an SAS2-846EL1/2 card, and that's what you're after...to me it doesn't sound like a great deal, more like a normal one, not even a regular sale maybe. CSE-846TQ-R900B is on...
  10. T

1151 Xeon cooler for X11SSM-F in SC836 suggestion?

I recently assembled my new Freenas server in a SC836 chassis. The motherboard is a X11SSM-F. I'm running a Xeon 1240 V6 cpu, using the retail heatsink/fan. It's keeping things moderately cool, but temps occasionally creep into the mid 40's, but not for long. I'm about to close up the case...
  11. T

SC836 build with X11SSM-F - cabling questions

Ok, I'll preface this by saying while I've built plenty of computers, this my first foray into an actual server chassis. I have what I believe is an SC836TQ-R500B. I know it has the TQ backplane and it has dual 500's, so I'm fairly certain that's correct. First: The front panel control...
  12. T

Wiring Home Network w/ Fiber

So, my installation at my home got complicated with the second floor ethernet installation. I realized that running Cat6 from the basement, up to my attic, then back down into each of the rooms I wanted multiple drops in, meant running several groups of Cat6 cabling through the walls, as I...
  13. T

SAS/SATA Controller recommendation, TQ backplane

I'm finishing up assembly of a new storage server. Chassis SC836TQ Processor: Xeon 1240 V6 32GB (16GBx2) ECC DDR4 RAM - Will upgrade to 64Gb soon, trying to pay for a wedding this month. Motherboard is a Supermicro X11SSM-F. Expansion slots are: 1 PCI-E 3.0 x8 (in x16), 1 PCI-E 3.0 x8, 2...
  14. T

LGA1366 vs 2011 for 4k 6k 8k vidwork?

I'm still confused by the number of PC's. You want one for yourself, and a backup. You also want one for your girlfriend to use, but her needs seem to probably be a bit lower than yours. You also need one for another friend...who's needs don't seem to be nearly as intensive as yours. Then...
  15. T

WTB: 16Gb DDR3 SODIMM ECC Unbuffered

Hi, I'm trying to source some ram for my Supermicro A1SRi-2558F board. I'd like at least two 16GB modules so I can eventually upgrade to 64Gb in the future(will be running ZFS), but may buy all four if the price is right. Having trouble finding these in 16Gb units where they are ECC...