SC836 build with X11SSM-F - cabling questions

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Ok, I'll preface this by saying while I've built plenty of computers, this my first foray into an actual server chassis.

I have what I believe is an SC836TQ-R500B. I know it has the TQ backplane and it has dual 500's, so I'm fairly certain that's correct.

First: The front panel control connector on the SC836 doesn't reach to the X11SSM-F's location. Is there an extender? Or a longer cable option of that connection? Mine is a 16 pin block(the connector on the X11SSM-F supports up to a 20 pin, but the layout looks like 16 would be fine). I see the break out models. They offer a 40CM and a 60CM...I guess I just get the 60 and assume it's long enough? I'm fairly certain it'd work, was just hoping not to have to re-sleeve it and run the whole cable through. Plus it looks like a nuisance to get to the rear of the board to plug it in on the back of the front panel. Does the CBL-0084L 6" cable "converter head" allow me to interconnect the two? That 6" may be just long enough.

Second: Fan splitter. I have 5 fan connectors on the board, but 6 devices(1 CPU fan, 2 rear, 3 drive fans). I'm assuming there's no issue using just one or two 4 pin fan splitter cables on the motherboard directly is there? I'd imagine they have enough power for this. Or should I connect some of them(probably the two rear fans) directly off a power supply instead using a separate PWM controller or just let them run full speed maybe?

Normally I'd not worry about it, but just curious if there's a "best practice" I should be adhering to.

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The front panel control connector on the SC836 doesn't reach to the X11SSM-F's location. Is there an extender? Or a longer cable option of that connection? Mine is a 16 pin block(the connector on the X11SSM-F supports up to a 20 pin, but the layout looks like 16 would be fine).
That's odd. In the SC836 chassis I've seen, the front panel connector is long enough to just about reach the
diagonally opposite corner of the chassis. See bottom left of this picture (cable not pulled taut, just as it was received from the factory):

I actually cut them down (which is a pain, due to the ribbon being slit into 16 pieces except at the ends) and then make a custom extension cable that pulls out the Ethernet 1 activity pins to go to an add-in card: