WTB: 16Gb DDR3 SODIMM ECC Unbuffered

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tullnd

Apr 19, 2016
USA
Hi, I'm trying to source some ram for my Supermicro A1SRi-2558F board. I'd like at least two 16GB modules so I can eventually upgrade to 64Gb in the future(will be running ZFS), but may buy all four if the price is right.

Having trouble finding these in 16Gb units where they are ECC Unbuffered. Anyone have a reasonable source for these or some used ones laying around you don't need anymore?

I'd consider 4x8Gb as well if you are looking to sell at a smoking deal, just so I can get the unit up and running...but it'd have to be really cheap since I'll eventually need to pull them for larger units.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
AFAIK, 16gb ddr3 ecc unbuffered SODIMM were never manufactured in quantity. Spec was written and some samples may have been done, but I've never seen them in the wild.

I think you may be chasing a ghost...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick

sfbayzfs

May 6, 2015
SF Bay area
Indeed, I once got suckered in by what I thought was a set of 4 compatible Micron 16GB ECC Unbuffered SODIMMs for these, but they turned out to be ECC Reg if I remember correctly. If anyone has a system that takes ECC Reg DDR3 SODIMMs, PM me if you're interested in them, and I'll get you the part number.

Reactions: Patrick

Netwerkz101

Dec 27, 2015
Cost prohibitive ..... to the point where a new system would be cheaper than buying
2-4 modules to get 32GB-64GB respectively.

Anyhow.... still in production according to the web site.
Contact them directly and see if that is true and where you can get them.

Good luck.

DRAM Memory Modules | 16 Gigabyte DDR3 unbuffered DIMMs | Intelligent Memory

http://www.intelligentmemory.com/fileadmin/download/compatibilitylist.pdf

Motherboards & systems supporting the memory:
Supermicro A1SAi-2750F, A1SAi, 2550F, A1SRi-2550F, A1SRi-2758F,
A1SRi-2558F, A1SAM-2750F, A1SAM-2550F, A1SRM-2758F, A1SRM-2558F,
A1SA7-2750F, A1SA2-2750F

ullbeking

Jul 28, 2017
London
Indeed. I'm still a big fan of the C2000 series for many reasons. C3000 are expensive, hard to find, and, in my opinion, not ready for production use as the only people who seem to be able to get them are early adopters and industry insiders who write reviews and hype them up.

In my mental map, the C2000 series only goes up to 32 GB RAM. I don't even _think_ of 64 GB when dealing with these machines. If I wanted lots of RAM I'd be looking at a different board, and perhaps considering bumping my spec sheet up to micro-ATX.

AFAIK, 16gb ddr3 ecc unbuffered SODIMM were never manufactured in quantity. Spec was written and some samples may have been done, but I've never seen them in the wild.
I've never seen a 16 GB module myself either.

Cost prohibitive ..... to the point where a new system would be cheaper than buying
2-4 modules to get 32GB-64GB respectively.
I agree. Even if one were to find a set, it would be so cost-prohibitive that one would be much better off provisioning an entirely new mainboard plus RAM.

If mini-ITX is important then get one of these: Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-TLN4F and you can easily load it up to 64 GB using UDIMMs or even 128 with RDIMMs. This is one of the many reasons the X10SDV is well loved, and you get a more powerful SoC as well. And this brings me to another point, if you are running ZFS installation to the point that 32 GB is not enough RAM, then perhaps you should be looking at a more powerful board, not a C2000. Look at the FreeNAS HCL. It's full of fantastic recommendations.

Last edited:

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Indeed, I once got suckered in by what I thought was a set of 4 compatible Micron 16GB ECC Unbuffered SODIMMs for these, but they turned out to be ECC Reg if I remember correctly. If anyone has a system that takes ECC Reg DDR3 SODIMMs, PM me if you're interested in them, and I'll get you the part number.
Is the pinout for ECC Reg SODIMMs the same as normal non-ECC SODIMMs?

If so, you can likely buy a SODIMM to DIMM adapter and use them in a server. I have two for testing DDR3 SODIMM in desktop machines. They work fine for regular DDR3 SODIMMs.

Reactions: sfbayzfs